Nile's Mostly Freelance Bodging Bench - Pre-Grouping Locos

On 16/02/2021 at 21:27, Nile said:

Brake end painted red, covering some of the windows. The buffers at this end aren't sprung, but that could change if needed.

017.JPG.cf3ed9a524afbb8add925e0d642a4b3f.JPG

I would be interested to know whether you used Oil based paint for the end panel or Acrylic. I wish to paint the red end on a NBR brake van the same colour as the body, but the closest match I can find is an acrylic paint. I knpw that one can paint over acrylic with oil, but don't believe it can be done the other way round, and I do not know which type of paint Hornby used.

• RMweb Premium

I used acrylic - Humbrol 60.

Don't believe the nonsense some write about acrylic and oil paint. If the first layer has fully dried it shouldn't matter what type of paint the next layer is. If in doubt test first.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I agree entirely, in the past I've successfully painted acrylic paint over enamel paint and vice versa with no unwanted side effects whatsoever. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nile said:

I used acrylic - Humbrol 60.

Don't believe the nonsense some write about acrylic and oil paint. If the first layer has fully dried it shouldn't matter what type of paint the next layer is. If in doubt test first.

Thanks for that, I am certain that the nearest colour will be Humbrol RC403 Crimson Lake. All the on line Railway modelling shops seem to be listing it as out of stock, or are charging an enormouis amount for postage. Fortunately, our local toy shop has probably the best range of modelling paints I have ever seen. I will now have to wait for them to re-open. Secondly,  I know this is a dim question, but did you use paintbrushes. or did you mask it off and spray?

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Nile said:

Paintbrush.

Thanks, that is what I will be doing. I have managed to find someone on ebay who can supply the Crimson Lake paint for a reasonable price, and have ordered a tin. lets hope it is a good match,

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nile said:

This rod bends easily without snapping, Evergreen #219  0.025" .

I don’t think the stuff I’ve got is Evergreen, lesson learnt don’t buy the cheaper version  off EBay

’buy cheap, buy twice’

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree, what an incredible attractive rake you've made of it. 

Evergreen just seems to have the edge on other makes, always gives the best result when I compare (no connection!). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Your coaches look superb.

Its very helpful when someone in the know shows you how to do it.

I do not know how consistent these particular details are across the range of other companies coaches. I have just acquired a set of the Hornby LB & SCR coaches.

By the way, I don't know if I missed it, but what type of drill did you use to make the holes for the cross rods inside the brake shoes ?

Many thanks

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Your coaches look superb.

Its very helpful when someone in the know shows you how to do it.

I do not know how consistent these particular details are across the range of other companies coaches. I have just acquired a set of the Hornby LB & SCR coaches.

By the way, I don't know if I missed it, but what type of drill did you use to make the holes for the cross rods inside the brake shoes ?

Many thanks

All the best

Ray

Yes, I was thinking of using of something similar for the WMR. Would GNR and LSWR coaches suffice?

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

A 1mm drill in a pin vice, drilled about half way into the shoe.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Yes, I was thinking of using of something similar for the WMR. Would GNR and LSWR coaches suffice?

The LSWR coaches look closest to your livery. You could paint over the dark brown* areas with purple.

* it's actually so dark it's almost black.

• RMweb Premium

No the inside. In this photo you can just about see it.

013.JPG.1bb1f3ce2847146304f0fbbee865c495.JPG

The idea is to make the cross rods long enough to fit into the holes without falling out, i.e. slightly longer than the distance between the shoes.

• Like 6