Hello, I have started this thread to show the construction of a 009 2 car railcar fashioned from a Dapol railcar plastic kit (Which I've had lurking in my draw for some time).

The shell was fashioned by cutting and shutting the railcar kit (Lots of filler needed here!).

post-21360-0-45477700-1394958592_thumb.jpgpost-21360-0-97885300-1394958607_thumb.jpg

Also the chassis (A kato 103) recently arrived and has since had the body molded slightly to fit it snugly.

post-21360-0-81008400-1394958623_thumb.jpg

This is roughly how far the body shell will sit on the chassis (It now does but I cannot upload the picture due to error).

post-21360-0-52953900-1394958637_thumb.jpg

Please ask any questions and feel free to make a comment.

Thanks, J.

Bit more progress has been made:

The interior was sprayed Matt black (Making the outside rather messy too!!)

post-21360-0-69585400-1395046262_thumb.jpg

And flush glazing has been added, which are currently being fitted with curtains.

post-21360-0-45480600-1395046714_thumb.jpgpost-21360-0-96318000-1395046723_thumb.jpg

Before I post anymore progress I would like to apologise for my frankly useless modelling skills :resent: .

Regards, J. 

• RMweb Premium

Bit more progress has been made:

The interior was sprayed Matt black (Making the outside rather messy too!!)

attachicon.gifrm web 007.jpg

And flush glazing has been added, which are currently being fitted with curtains.

attachicon.gifrm web 010.jpgattachicon.gifrm web 011.jpg

Before I post anymore progress I would like to apologise for my frankly useless modelling skills :resent: .

Regards, J. 

I wish my modelling skills were as useless as yours. :dontknow:

No reason to apologise for the modelling, which looks competent and imaginative.

The photography slightly lets it down - but you can live with that.

Ah yes well all the pictures I take on my camera are too big too fit on this (Over 1MB) and I have no idea how to make them smaller.

Here is a pic of the curtains & Blinds added - I'm very much making this up as I go along.

post-21360-0-72061800-1395054595_thumb.jpg 

Yes sorry about poor quality as soon as I can make the pictures from my camera fit on RM web they should be better.

Cheers, J

Ah yes well all the pictures I take on my camera are too big too fit on this (Over 1MB) and I have no idea how to make them smaller.

The easiest way I know to reduce picture sizes is to use a free piece of software called Irfanview.http://www.irfanview.com/

Hope that helps.

Phil

A little more progress has been made and the powered unit is working, as you can see on this

Please feel free to click the link and look at the vid.

Now I must apologise again to the fact that I will not post any progress for a good month or two as I have to begin revising for my mock exams.

Many Thanks, J.

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress has been made and the powered unit is working, as you can see on this

Please feel free to click the link and look at the vid.

Now I must apologise again to the fact that I will not post any progress for a good month or two as I have to begin revising for my mock exams.

No need to apologise - I like what you're doing - I like the fact that you're having a go at modelmaking - but your exams are far more important than any hobby website.

Huw.

The easiest way I know to reduce picture sizes is to use a free piece of software called Irfanview.http://www.irfanview.com/

Hope that helps.

Phil

Alternatively assuming you are using a Microsoft PC open the image in paint. Select image, select re-size and type in the reduction you want.

Or Windows live photogallery has a resize option in it's edit command set.

Adrian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Excellent progress - it works! Some interesting stuff in the background, too. ....

I'm in total agreement, it's a very creditable build. I rather like the proportions and could be tempted to do a double ended version. Would look good in a two tone paint job with a 50s/60s chrome waist band.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in total agreement, it's a very creditable build. I rather like the proportions and could be tempted to do a double ended version. Would look good in a two tone paint job with a 50s/60s chrome waist band.

I must say I was very tempted..... But I'll think Im going to go for plain dark green.

A little progress has been made!

When I say a little...... All I've managed is some new copper headlamp covers. The reason for this small progress is the kato tram chassis has decided it doesn't like picking electricity up off of rails and I've fiddled about with the thing for hours a no change. I even ended up making my own pickups. So now I'm going to have to make pickups for the other chassis and connect the two.

Also I've been beavering away over my new grafar 08 which I'm going to nick the chassis from for my next 009 loco.....more to come on that. And also I've been fitting Coupligs to my stock. Joy of joys....

Pictures coming soon!!

Ok, A little bit more done..

post-21360-0-41496900-1399709381_thumb.jpg

For the other chassis I nicked the chassis out of a peco brake van in N which i picked up cheaply. I also switched the wheels to metal ones.

post-21360-0-10844100-1399709453_thumb.jpg

The chassis was the cut and shut, and the sides made flat with plasticard to look more similar to the motorised chassis. 

post-21360-0-46425300-1399709751_thumb.jpg

LED's fitted to simulate bulb light. Yes, I know, they are yellow but I think it gives an atmospheric feel.

I do have many other pictures on my camera that are better quality but , for crying out loud, the camera now is refusing to connect to the computer  :threaten:  :threaten:  :threaten:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Ill see if I can get the thing to work.

Hi, 

As I have just finished my mock exams I have had very little homework recently ( 8) ) (And just a note I am very pleased with my results, VERY pleased  :derisive: :imsohappy: ) which has allowed me to do some work on the railcar, although I am frequently getting distracted by my next project, another 009 loco, of which a picture of the plan can be seen below (without wheel placements).

post-21360-0-54662600-1400181924_thumb.png

post-21360-0-69600000-1400182066_thumb.png

(Sorry about the funny angles)

Although I have had plenty of time, no progress has been made. Why? Because the Kato 11-103 chassis is just not picking up electricity of the track. I've tried everything - repostioning the pickups, checking connections, cleaning wheels & track. But it it just jerking along. Its not the motor- when I attach that straight to the track it runs as smoothly as silk. 

Anyone have any ideas!?  :scratchhead:

J.

• 3 weeks later...

This all looks very good. I wish I had the courage/skill/money to move into 009 and do this... In regard to the motor, is it fixed? If not, could it be something to do with the gear box? It sounds as if the problem is something do with the transmission of power between the motor and wheels

Hi J

I have been playing with one of the Katos and have found the same as you as regards to the running qualities

What improved it massively for me was adding weight to it

I started off with 14 grams which was better but now have around 20 grams on it - I used some scrap lead that I got from a roofer

Hi J

I have been playing with one of the Katos and have found the same as you as regards to the running qualities

What improved it massively for me was adding weight to it

I started off with 14 grams which was better but now have around 20 grams on it - I used some scrap lead that I got from a roofer

Ah yes I have added a bit of weight in experimentation and running was definitely improved but not considerably. Still something else no quite right.

Maybe i will add even more weight. Many thanks for the input though!

J.

• RMweb Premium

Really nice looking build J, I've always thought that the railbus kit was begging for narrow gauge conversion, but can't recall seeing it done before.

Regarding the weight, always cram as much lead in as you can; the heavier the better as far as pickup goes.  Also you are loading the motor and giving it something to do which will help with smooth running.

Keep up the good work,

All the best,

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Work back on track!

Three things have caused me to make a sort of central thing for the railcar:

.The railcars on County Gate and Cliffhanger (cause of inspiration)

.The  fact that the two ends on themselves have no doors......... so I needed doors!

.The fact the, taking DLT's advice, I needed to add lots of weight over the chassis.

This section is being made out of brass, using a cutting disk. 

First the sides and roof were cut to length. The photo shows a recess cut into the rear where the body would be lightly bent to suit the body curve of the two ends.

post-21360-0-42678400-1405868068_thumb.jpg

post-21360-0-14146700-1405868364_thumb.jpg

The doors were then cut out from both sides and fixed to a plate, which had recess in so I could model the doors on later. Lots of weight as added.

post-21360-0-64678800-1405868395_thumb.jpg

This shows a gap between the weights and the roof so I can fit in the button batteries which will supply power to the headlamps.

post-21360-0-58155200-1405868490_thumb.jpg

This final photo shows the simple body (Roof loose) attached to the chassis. It shows more body work being added, hence the filler. The saxophone reed on the left is what I used to apply the filler as it has a very fine edge.

post-21360-0-36273000-1405868553_thumb.jpg

Again, sorry about poor pictures.

J.

• RMweb Premium

I like the extra section, I think it looks a bit more balanced now it's longer, and can imagine it looking good weaving through tight narrow gauge pointwork.  A couple of things strike me though:

- the outer sections have very long overhangs on the inner ends, and the centre section is quite short, which might cause problems on curves as the inner ends of the end sections will swing out considerably more than the centre section, causing problems with the couplings locking.  I'd think about moving the chassis inwards to give a longer overhang on the cab ends if possible.

- the doors look too small to me too - on the original kit they are the same height as the windows, and even in OO9, people are the same height!  I think that would improve the look of it too, as might a window in each side of the centre module - even if they have to be blacked out to hide the lead.

Archived