Not North Korea, actually Beijing!  But the internet is heavily restricted and the speed is diabolical.

Later this week off to Wuhan, Zhuhai, and Guangzhou.  If only I'd done this trip 20 years ago I could have poppedr along to Sanshui from Guangzhou to visit the SanMao regional railway, which at that time was powered entirely by early series ex-CNR QJs.... 

Alas, I shall be travelling on the much duller high speed trains between Gz and HK. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not North Korea, actually Beijing!  But the internet is heavily restricted and the speed is diabolical.

Later this week off to Wuhan, Zhuhai, and Guangzhou.  If only I'd done this trip 20 years ago I could have poppedr along to Sanshui from Guangzhou to visit the SanMao regional railway, which at that time was powered entirely by early series ex-CNR QJs.... 

Alas, I shall be travelling on the much duller high speed trains between Gz and HK. 

Haven't been to HK since just before the handover to the Chinese. We did the train trip from Guanzhou to HK on that visit.

Not even used the new airport but the old one was superb if you weren't nervous about flying.

My brother lives in the new territories with his family.

• RMweb Premium

I for one don't think all American trains creep along rickety track... it's just that those are the ones I like the best!!! :yes: :sungum: :D

What is difficult to get across to UK modellers is the sheer size of US trains (as in loading gauge), especially as the model scales don't correspond, so you can't demonstrate the difference with models. Photos of Class 66 locos being pulled to the docks in Canada were eye-openers, as are double-stack container trains, since the UK Loading Gauge is so puny that special wagons with small roller-skate wheels have to be used to carry modern containers (which are now taller than the originals such as Freightliner used to own).

And just to demonstrate the point........

SD50 and Class 59.

post-299-0-81813300-1446136024.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

On the same theme, some privileged pictures from the London, Ontario plant, taken in 2007 (think I'm OK posting them in 2015!)

attachicon.gifpicture 048.jpg

attachicon.gifpicture 019.jpg

no idea what #4318 was / is but it was flippin' big!

That's a 4300 HP EMD SD70ace destined  for BHP iron ore in Australia by the looks of the livery its wearing.

Indeed, SD70ace's are mahoosive.

• RMweb Premium

Y'know, I had Oz in the back of my mind - I seem to recall someone saying they were locos for Australia.

Yes, BHP are a big EMD and GE customer in OZ.

SD70's are also in most parts of America, there must be thousands of them now, rather than hundreds. Union Pacific and BNSF have the biggest rosters of them.

They seem to be abit of a marmite locomotive. Some love em, some hate em.

Yes, seen a few pics of em on flat cars going to the docks.-

thus- http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=464996&nseq=43&favsearch=1

And the height of the loading guage is considerably higher than the locomotives. Look at the locos here against a doublestack container train - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=353000&nseq=19 . Not only can they transport UK-scale locos on flat cars, they can (and do) transport North American scale locos that way - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=120842&nseq=63 . (I saw that move on its way through the Vancouver area.)

That's very H0, O and N centric

No problem making a direct comparison in S...

Well yes, but you could equally scratchbuild a British loco in H0 or US one in 4mm

The easiest way is to buy an H0 (Euro) 66 *to go with your H0 SD70

title_EEE_31059_ECR_66243_03.jpg

See also this thread http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2515-HO-scale-popularity/page3

* Heljan and Mehano versions also available

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2

That's just Scotchlite reflective tape, rather than any form of lighting. Everything that runs here these days is required to have it applied, even preserved steam locos. :(

On the subject of loading gauges, I remember when "Flying Scotsman" arrived here in 1988, how surprised we were by how small it was compared to our 38.

Cheers,

Mark.

Correct (re the apparent lighting strips on the Oz SD70s). The lighting in there was very challenging so the reflective tape was causing disproportionate amount of light coming from that source (ie they were doing their job), making them look like lighting strips!

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

That's just Scotchlite reflective tape, rather than any form of lighting. Everything that runs here these days is required to have it applied, even preserved steam locos. :(

On the subject of loading gauges, I remember when "Flying Scotsman" arrived here in 1988, how surprised we were by how small it was compared to our 38.

Cheers,

Mark.

Unless Jack was referring to the extra tail and head lights on the back of that BHP loco?? (those are not included on a normal SD70 for the American market)

Correct (re the apparent lighting strips on the Oz SD70s). The lighting in there was very challenging so the reflective tape was causing disproportionate amount of light coming from that source (ie they were doing their job), making them look like lighting strips!

Just in case anyone misses seeing the bloody great thing!!!

Nice shots, thanks!

Best, Pete.

Unless Jack was referring to the extra tail and head lights on the back of that BHP loco?? (those are not included on a normal SD70 for the American market)

No - I was fooled by the Scotchlite tape into thinking that somebody had mandated all-round LED lighting similar to the LED running lights on cars for 'elfunsafdee reasons

Well, I'm back.  Waiting for me is a nice package from La Belle France which should have some Grand Confort stock in it.

My trip home involved taking the KTT from Guangzhou to Kowloon Hung Hom Terminus.  Impossible to take pictures sadly.  Saw lots of SS8s, HXD1, a single HXD1D, a couple of DF5, two ND5, two DF4s and plenty of CHR emus.

My train was this one like a souped up double decker Edinburgh Glasgow push pull!  Unfortunately I was allocated a lower deck seat, and the locals would insist on pulling the blinds down.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On our trip ion that route back in 1996 I wanted photos and when an asked the Chinese security if I could take photos they asked to see my passport then told me to get on the train. I think that I have a few photos taken from a Hong Kong New Territories station of the long distance services though.