I had some fun today with my Chinese steamers.  Big hufty things they are with lots of photogenic pipe runs and gubbins.  I also made a mod to the frames of the QJ to eliminate the unsightly fresh air where the rear frames support the firebox.  Looks better, and still goes around the corners.  My tightest curves are 30" radius.

Make sure the reverser gubbins face in opposite directions on the opposite sides of the body.  If the new trade agreement goes ahead, I suppose model Chinese steamers will be then manufactured in Europe.

Andy

Andy, if you're referring to the red levers on the firebox sides, they're the operating levers for the blowdown cocks.

Dr. G-F, I'm a little bit envious of you having a QJ. The models are lovely, and the real locos are very capable machines.

Cheers,

Mark.

Andy, if you're referring to the red levers on the firebox sides, they're the operating levers for the blowdown cocks.

Dr. G-F, I'm a little bit envious of you having a QJ. The models are lovely, and the real locos are very capable machines.

Cheers,

Mark.

I'm pretty much steamer ignorant, but there is something that should be asymmetrical LH side to RH side  that is typically mounted backwards on the more easily symmetrically manufacture valve gear of UK RTR models that is always picked up by the steam enthusiasts as being a model design mistake.

That's as close as I can get to knowing 'owt about it.

All trains should be electric AFAIAC. :jester:

Andy

Crank Conundrum

I'd like to get to the bottom of this crank business, so took some pics for your expert opinion.  First, a lovely double header.

post-238-0-56207300-1439032587.jpg

Oh dear, whatever was I thinking?  I meant this one... 

post-238-0-25642600-1439032650_thumb.jpg

For comparative purposes, we're going to look at QJ6266 and QJ7207.

post-238-0-57681400-1439032712_thumb.jpg

Fireman's side, 6266 in the front and 7207 in the rear.  Rods down, at six o'clock.  6266 reverse crank angled forwards, 7207s is pointing backwards!

post-238-0-06250300-1439032804_thumb.jpg 

Engineer's side, 6266 in the front, rods down, cranks pointing forwards.  7207 in the rear, rods down, rods pointing backwards.

So.  Both engines seem to be set up so that the six o'clock position is the same from fireman's and engineer's side, which I think is correctly asymmetric?  But presumably only one is correctly set up for an engine in forward gear.  I'm guessing 6266?

Since I had the camera out for some 'technical' shots, I thought I'd also show a comparison of the modified and unmodified frames beneath the firebox.  I run my pike at chest height, and I don't like to see daylight where there should be some frames supporting the weight of the firebox and cab.  A piece of thin black pasticard soon sorts that out.

post-238-0-08276900-1439033186_thumb.jpg

7207 without frames.  Looks unconvincing.

post-238-0-93289800-1439033225_thumb.jpg

6266 with 'frames'.  That looks better!

And now, back to playing trains.

• Like 2

Andy, Dr G-F,

As the QJs have inside admission valve chests and direct Walschaerts valve gear, the return crank should slope towards the front of the loco on both sides. That's independent of whether the engine is in forward or back gear, as the return crank is solidly attached to the crankpin. So your model of 6266 is correct, the model of 7207 isn't. 

What determines the direction of travel on locos with Walschaerts gear is the position of the radius rod in the expansion link. On a QJ if the radius rod is at the bottom of the link it will go forward, and if it's at the top of the link it will go backwards. The models represent a loco in mid-gear with the radius rod in the middle of the link. This animated GIF probably explains the whole thing better than I can! :)

rodsrev.gif

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by dullsteamer
  • Like 1

Looking good, Gr G-F. The layout has a nice flowing, spacious look to it.

Just wondering if you could let me know which Pikestuff kit you you used in first pic - the left hand structure with the large central door opening. Looks to be exactly what I'm looking for for a project.

Mal

Don't know the Part# offhand but it's the large 3-road shed kit, with just the central door cut out (the clever bit about Pikestuff kits). The 3-dock shed next to it in Dr G-F's pic is the other end of the same kit!! ;)

Today I have mainly been building bridges.  Well, a bridge anyway.  And cleaning the barbecue. I've always intended for a bridge to disguise the dead end of the 'yard', and as nothing available seemed to fit the bill, i bodged one together from bits of strip wood and dowel.

post-238-0-43905500-1439310379_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-82373200-1439310402_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-76152800-1439310428_thumb.jpg

It looks well enough I suppose.  To finish it off, as well as road markings and parapet, I should really fit it with an anti vandal cage.  I'm tempted to add another bridge in front, heading straight across the layout, as if it were an elevated interchange.  I shall mock it up tomorrow and see how it looks.

Finally, I'd forgotten to post these the other day when I was having a steam day.  

post-238-0-86288600-1439310744_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-15811300-1439310773_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-16435000-1439310795_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-13481000-1439310814_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've made a start on the 'scenery' for the south-east corner of the layout.  One of the reasons I wanted to model an urban environment was to minimise the amount of lumpy green stuff f(countryside) I'd have to model.  Scenery is not my forte at all.  So a nice urban, south-western desert climate would seem to be ideal.

The corner consists of a building supplies merchants, for which I've paved the area around the spur so that a forklift can access both sides of center beams cars.  There is also a shelter for wood that I knocked up from scrap bits left over from pikestuff kits, and a small office.  There will be another similar building alongside this one in due course.

post-238-0-48257900-1439673200_thumb.jpg

the pad is in, and will be painted to look more like dusty concrete later.

post-238-0-04585500-1439673258_thumb.jpg

the shelter for exposed wood and other items that need to be kept out of the weather.

post-238-0-16746600-1439673361_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-92828700-1439673389_thumb.jpg

I'm also knocking up another highway overpass to break up this area into two distinct visual areas.  I think this will help with adding a sense of place, but also adding some visual interest to the otherwise long straight vista.

Lots of finishing still to do do, and lots of details to add particularly to the lumber unloading pad.  This needs to be covered in wrapped pallets of dimensional lumber off the center beams, ready to be loaded onto trucks for distribution.  Any good sources of that kind of load/detail parts?  I also need at least a forklift and a couple of tractor/trailers - ideally curtain sided trailers for protecting the loads.

Actually, I also need a bunch of center beams too!

The inspiration for the lumber yard was a photo in the recent Trains freight special.  I found the lcation on Bing Maps, and it's a really cute lumber yard.  

post-238-0-03838400-1439674376_thumb.jpg

The caption in Trains mag even says it looks like a model railroad...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 7

If you want to print your own wrappers I can give you a link to some on Model Railroad Hobbyist  http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/23327  You won't need to be a subscriber (free) to download the PDFs.  You will need to join to get the next lot -  look in backnumbers for July 2011 issue and go to Magazine across the top -> subscriber bonus issues ->  page3 -> and I think the excel file is the last one - this will give you flatcar and bulkhead flat loads - wrap a suitable sized block of wood with a print, as though you are wrapping a parcel with folded-in triangular ends. - I covered my prints with clear sellotape first to make them look like plastic wrappers.BTW - if you want strapping, look in Ebay.co.uk for NAILTAPE ( the stuff the ladies use for those expensive nail decoration jobs). You want a couple of rolls of the narrowest you can get in black - it comes from HongKong and is cheap as chips!  If you can't wait, you can pay a bit more and get it from here   eBay item number:390528210717

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

I knew it would happen eventually.

It is now one of those scenes that just 'pops'.

Both of the highway underpass's and their placement are spot on.

Here's your 'forkie' http://www.ehattons.com/40762/Wiking_6634029_Still_Rx_70_25_Fork_Lift_Truck/StockDetail.aspx

Lovely little model, got 2 on my layout.

Pallets (or skids in US parlance) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AM-Models-12-Pack-Pallets-Skids-HO-Scale-Kit-Very-Nice-501-12-Bob-Train-Guy-/400791096012

The AM models variety are about the best Ive seen.

Edited by Gary H

Gary - for handling large/long, wrapped lumber loads that forkie is going to be a bit small - you would be better off with something with a bit of "grunt", like this  eBay item number: 121512095928 - especially for anywhere selling things like pre-built roof trusses or similar. Those are fine for handling small pre-wrapped pallets like building blocks/bricks  etc, and stuff transported in box-cars. There is/was also a big tired, ex-military one available through KIBRI that could be assembled with a Digger bucket, or forks - Edit - it is a Kaelble Wheel Loader w/Bucket & Forklift - KIBRI #18089

Edited by shortliner