So..... the solution to Dr G-F's layout indecision presents itself...

Stuff the trains - just paste loads of Nigella pictures around the shed. Sorted. :sungum:

Put a camp bed in there too, as that's where you'll be sleeping once Mrs G-F sees them. ;)

I don't want to make you lot feel old, but she only misses being old enough to be my mother by 3 months

Edit:actually a year, I forgot the 9 months gestation period :embarrassed:

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Gold

Can I direct you here. I warn you it is not for the faint hearted.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

Rob.

Rob.

I showed my wife the video. She walked away shaking her head and told me that I have to get another hobby. :no:

Right then, having had the muse from Nige, it's back to business in the shed.

Over the past three days I managed to relay the pike, with some improvements - particularly regarding the staging arrangements - and rewire everything.  Test trains ran this afternoon, in time for tea.  Honours were the usual raggedy-ass BNSF GP38s.

An overview, starting from the south-east corner and proceeding clockwise to the north-east corner.

post-238-0-44978800-1438639190_thumb.jpg

The curved spur and the one immediately adjacent to it are for a building supplies company.  The curved spur will be embedded in concrete to give access to both sides of lumber racks for unloading by forklift.  The long spur on the right serves two warehouses.

post-238-0-44948300-1438639233_thumb.jpg

There's another long spur on the left, and a short teamtrack on the right, off the short loop that curves round to the right.  I may put an overhead gantry crane here for unloading coil cars....

post-238-0-48063200-1438639272_thumb.jpg

Curving further round, there is a small yard here for staging cars.  This will disappear under a highway overpass.

post-238-0-67878200-1438639708_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way, there is a warehouse track on the left and off to the right a spur serving another construction supplies site.  At the moment, the ready-mix cement plant is here.  It might tay put.

post-238-0-99457700-1438639323_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-91652200-1438639350_thumb.jpg

Finally a couple of portraits of my work-weary but utterly dependable GP38s.  How I wish the Santa Fe was still going...

• Like 8

Looking good, Gr G-F. The layout has a nice flowing, spacious look to it.

Just wondering if you could let me know which Pikestuff kit you you used in first pic - the left hand structure with the large central door opening. Looks to be exactly what I'm looking for for a project.

Mal

Being an EMU person, I've  never done much switching.

So I may well be topologically challenged. :O  But with just one loco, surely there has to be a run-around somewhere? (To prevent the Hotel California syndrome :senile: )

If i'm seeing it right I think there is, second pic, above the loco's, partly on the curve?

Looking good, Gr G-F. The layout has a nice flowing, spacious look to it.

Just wondering if you could let me know which Pikestuff kit you you used in first pic - the left hand structure with the large central door opening. Looks to be exactly what I'm looking for for a project.

Mal

Sorry Mal, I got it ready made from Jordan as he went upscale.  So I don't know which kit it was.

Dear Dr G-F, This looks very natural and prototypical and may be your best yet. Now hide your tools so that you aren't tempted to rip it all up sometime soon :yes:

Edited by ceejaydee

I had some fun today with my Chinese steamers.  Big hufty things they are with lots of photogenic pipe runs and gubbins.  I also made a mod to the frames of the QJ to eliminate the unsightly fresh air where the rear frames support the firebox.  Looks better, and still goes around the corners.  My tightest curves are 30" radius.

post-238-0-22303600-1438803760_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-48075400-1438803841_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-21366800-1438803884_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-87657700-1438803782_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-78125200-1438803811_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 5