7mm King Street Goods

Barnaby

Late decision to go to RMWeb live show @ Coventry Arena as my wife had got an invite to go to watch the Worcester Warriors rugby team.

A very enjoyable show and I got to see some layouts I particular enjoy. Also managed to chat to a few RMWebbers and the Master of Reely Grate Mike Bragg.

I have been looking for some acrylic paints to weather my track and found Eazi scenic modelling products who make their own brand of weathering acylic paints. The owner [lost his business card] was most helpful in finding the colours I wanted. I've got his phone number and I have a paint question so I'll bell him Monday and find answers to both.

Did a small brush paint test and they look great easy to water down and went on real smooth. I intend to spray them via my airbrush so maybe get some time Monday to have a play. Not used my airbrush in anger only spray tested it with water to check patterning and practice.

Regards

Couple of photos for ref:

post-1159-0-04841200-1410776205.jpg

post-1159-0-74454300-1410776232.jpg

Edited by Barnaby

Well I'm trying this year when at shows only to purchase bits & pieces mainly to help with the completion of projects I have on the go.
So far that is working very well.

It's a bit depressing when I start to make a STARTED BUT NOT FINISHED LIST.
I have:

1]  Completing my track laying, then spray, then ballast.

2]  Various goods buildings, workshops, retaining walls and granite and concrete yard inlays all need finishing and painting.
3]  Crane project just and idea at the moment, some concepts scribbled down but more of this later.

4]  Tower 02 diesel just needs pick-ups and painting.

5]  JLTRT chopper still in many pieces.

6]  LIMA F4 conversion got chassis and most parts, need motor, wheels and pickups.  Then paint it
7]  D22 I'm remodelling with other better parts.
8]  Numerous accessory pieces from loads to people, finishing and painting.

I need to look at best order most need and work accordingly.

EDIT 1:  Added fowler f4 to list

EDIT 2:  Made a best order listing

Edited by Barnaby

I mentioned about my interest in having a crane hoist working on the layout.
Some of my scribbles ref a crane hoist
post-1159-0-98629200-1411054259.jpg

more of my scribbles and typically as well as the 9:1 gear reduction made from Lego I got distracted and made a Differential gear, it's the one with the wheels on.
post-1159-0-54738200-1411054279.jpg
I had been thinking about using Lego, got a box full for the grandkids but then I went to RMWeb live at the Ricoh Arena.
There while perusing all and sundry I found stand 73 with Howard Smith of BRM fame demoing how to energise static models. he gave me a very useful address http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/agora.cgi which sells all you could want in the way of motors, gearboxes, axels etc. I had need to ring him to day and he was further helpful offering some more advice.
Damn I want to order some motors and play but it's not priority 1 but I suppose I could just order them to gaze at while working on priority 1.

Priority 0 don't forget to make up priority list.

PS thanks to gizmo for pointing out I had missed off the S in gizmoS. I've now put the active link in.

Edited by Barnaby

Ummmn now look I hadn't started my Priority list when I got these ok.

Couldn't resist these two beauties at Telford from Duncan models they went together very quickly and got a quick going over with the Halfords can.

BIG GEAR little gear

post-1159-0-79649400-1411055977.jpg

Regards

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

I mentioned about my interest in having a crane hoist working on the layout.

Some of my scribbles ref a crane hoist

attachicon.gifcrane - hoist.jpg

more of my scribbles and typically as well as the 9:1 gear reduction made from Lego I got distracted and made a Differential gear, it's the one with the wheels on.

attachicon.gifhoist crane.jpg

I had been thinking about using Lego, got a box full for the grandkids but then I went to RMWeb live at the Ricoh Arena.

There while perusing all and sundry I found stand 73 with Howard Smith of BRM fame demoing how to energise static models. he gave me a very useful address http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/agora.cgi which sells all you could want in the way of motors, gearboxes, axels etc. I had need to ring him to day and he was further helpful offering some more advice.

Damn I want to order some motors and play but it's not priority 1 but I suppose I could just order them to gaze at while working on priority 1.

Priority 0 don't forget to make up priority list.

PS thanks to gizmo for pointing out I had missed of the S in gizmoS. I've now put the active link in.

Good find. Gizmo's Zone is now in my favourites list.

• Like 1

After chatting with Mike of Reely Grate fame the show weekend I am interested in his building method.

He uses Lite-ply for the building carcasses so I went looking for a supplier.

The first on my search list was this one who were very helpful on the phone too. http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Lite-Plywood.html.

Didn't take long to jump my priority list, buildings is No 4 on it.  I think I'll swap 4 with 2.  :)

Ordered some windows and doors today, thanks Mike of Reely Grate for some direction on suitable suppliers.  I'd been trying to remember where it was that I had seen some windows and located them on the same site that I had my Ixion Fowler sound and dcc chipped ngtrains.

Made myself a sit down work top so I can watch tv, chat with my lady and drink happy juice, well that is until SHMBO bans me out to the workshop to do my modelling so as to not make a mess in the house.

The work top is an old drawing board with a cut mat on top and a shallow box tray to hold my knives and a few tools, simples.

Regards

KNOCK KNOCK who's there, why it's the parcel delivery man.  Some beautiful pieces of lite-ply ordered over the W/E arrived 8:30 am today

Couldn't resist opening the parcel to check its contents before storing them in the builders yard, well actually under the layout.

Here's a photo:

post-1159-0-62817500-1411490149.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3

Glad to see the builders are in just don't do what I've just done.......Just spent an hour in casualty getting my finger stitched and dressed. I managed to cut my finger from knuckle to tip with a brand new N0.11 Swan Morton Scalpel Blade. A not very pleasant and extremely  painful experience, measuring 10 on the sharp intake of breath scale. The only slightly  amusing outcome was the receptionist passing out when she saw what I had come to A&E for.staff_muttley.gif Sadly no modelling for me until after my next visit on Friday.mad.gif

Edited by Mike

Oh no did you get any blood on any part of the layout mike? You've only just got rid of the coffee spill. he he sounds nasty i did something similar last year with a similar result from the receptionist.

She had asked me to sit down and wait even after i told her it was cut to the bone she only believed me when i bent my finger open and blood oozed all over her desk. She then hit the panic button. lol.

Hope it heals quickly mine took a few weeks to get usable again.

Best

• Like 1

Glad to see the builders are in just don't do what I've just done.......Just spent an hour in casualty getting my finger stitched and dressed. I managed to cut my finger from knuckle to tip with a brand new N0.11 Swan Morton Scalpel Blade. A not very pleasant and extremely  painful experience, measuring 10 on the sharp intake of breath scale. The only slightly  amusing outcome was the receptionist passing out when she saw what I had come to A&E for.staff_muttley.gif Sadly no modelling for me until after my next visit on Friday.mad.gif

Look on the bright side !!!

Better a brand new one than one that's been stuck in all sorts, covered in flux and blunt...

Get well soon

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing some turf laying which I wanted doing before autumn really hits.  Had a couple of 10sq M patches to do, now just got 5 tree stumps to get ground out then the garden can rest up for winter.

Just had a double delivery into the builders yard some corrugated asbestos sheet, chequer plate and some coarse stone from www.petersspares.com ordered Sunday night arrived Tuesday morning, great.  2nd delivery was some windows and doors from Port Wynnstay models via NG models.  Hope health is improving at NGm and you will soon be back doing business albeit at a more sedate pace.

Recommend you view Peters spares site as it is very comprehensive.

post-1159-0-79048700-1413282991_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little quiet of late what with some turf laying, brother-in-law house move, well it's not a house but a "Hall" in Worcestershire that was a lords country shoot residence comes complete with cellars, a Ha-ha, duck pond enough acres to warrant sheep and horses, 2 staircases in beautifully sculptured wood that sweep down into the main entrance hall etc etc........................ I think I'll have to enter via the old piggery at the back with the tradesmen and work hands.

Back in my small world the fence panels have arrived to be stored for placement later. 

post-1159-0-00107600-1414325163.jpg

• Like 1

An alternative supplier of plywood is http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/plywood-107-c.asp

I built a model tugboat some years and had left over several sheets of thin ply now being utilised in my 7mm project.

I had to chuckle at one of your earlier posts regarding your wife going to Sixways, I reckon she got the better part of the day. :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I've been getting the garden ready for winter and not doing too much modelling, see what I mean>>>

post-1159-0-65005800-1415369211.jpg

These parts, doors, cable drums, stone arches, door cut out template and round louvered vent panels are quality laser cut items from http://www.yorkmodelmaking.com/ great stuff and quick and friendly people. 

I am spending too much time in the design office, purchasing department and wandering about the gardens doing agriculture work with not enough time spent in the workshop, building.

Got some concept buildings sketched up, [corrugated build] and cut some lite-ply carcases out.  Made up a small [corru-tin] porch for the main entrance to the building to test an alternative to evo-stik original.

Tried some 3M spray mount which is still holding good after 4 weeks.  Just found evo-stik do a spray can too but theirs is co-labelled CARPET SPRAY so as I have lots of that [COPYDEX] I'll give that a try too. The spray mount is moveable in the early stages so positioning is easy but then it does dry and grip.  Need to try a destruct test, hopefully the wood porch will survive but I need to know if the plastic corru will hold and not do a leaves in Autumn thing.

Happy days.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Christmas is coming and presents need to be bought so not much modelling happening at the moment.

Just been reading some of Mike Bragg's Primrose Hill posts where he is describing how he will create a view block through a building to hide the fiddle yard.

This re-kindled an idead I have been playing with about using a similar or the same picture stuck in front of the fiddle yard. The picture will be stuck on either side of the track exiting so that as you view it from the front it views continuous left to right but the track passes through the middle. A bit like stage scenery that sticks out onto the stage which allows for walk offs in between it.

I've tried using 2 same packs of cornflakes and aligned them so from the front they look like one packet but there is an exit between them.

I showed it to my wife with out telling her and she was startled when the loco appeared to cut through the box, not quite the effect I was looking for.

Maybe it will look better when I stick some pictures of pillars or girders on. What I am trying to overcome is the hole in the sky effect you get with some view blockers.

I'll print off some suitable pics and stick them on the boxes to see if it's less surprising but I fear not.

Tree decorating and light fitting tomorrow.

Happy holidays and extended play times are coming....................

• Like 1

Thoughts, ideas and a some memory jogger pics.

* Also solder a wire to each POINT SWITCH BLADE bottom for dropping through the baseboard.  Did think of leaving those off but with short base 04's running about I'll need all the electrical feed I can get.

* Solder to the side of stock rails when track is laid down finally.  Pre-tin all track and points when soldering on the bench for ease when laying down.

* Consider all connecting to be finalised at the edge of the baseboards. Don't want to be doubled up underneath the baseboard.

* Test the viability of using up the slotted lidded trunking at edge of baseboard?

* Decide manual or servo point operation. Best may be to first do manual then swap over to server control later.

* Do I want a control board?.  Not sure of any value in this for me with it being a single op use & no exhibiting intended.  Probably nice to have but not need to have.

Note that the Peco point wires are spot welded onto the rails.

DRAWING AMENDED as per Ray. V1, V2, V3,

EDIT 6th January '15  --  Text added @ Note

post-1159-0-16805700-1418427221_thumb.png

post-1159-0-81874300-1418427406.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Ray your correct but I was only showing the basic schematics as a memory prompt for myself but now you've commented I'll add the word Insulated above it on the original just in case.  I was trying to show that they both moved together when switching.  A bit obvious I know. :)

Thanks

Edit:  Changed drawing as Ray suggested.

Edited by Barnaby