Brampton Road

wireman

Progress so far. The bridge abutments are not glued yet, the walls will be made and fixed first then the abutments fitted up to them. There will be a lull in proceedings for a week or so, but I now have a clear idea where things are going with the side wall and road arch.

post-3742-0-39205100-1457506431.jpg

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the bridge after short break. Three pictures of the start of the small lane / farm access bridge. The first is of the whats left of the wing wall part of the kit after reducing the length, cutting the end at an angle to fit its intended location and cutting the archway. The other two show how it will all fit together. At this stage its held with a few bits of double sided tape as the internal arch brickwork has yet to be fitted.

post-3742-0-57955500-1458639964.jpg

post-3742-0-69324400-1458639976.jpgpost-3742-0-29226100-1458639993.jpg

I mentioned before that the other side of this bridge  (Storage roads ) will be plain black card, once the internal arch brickwork is fitted this will be the next job. The local  "Range" store has an excellent range of artist materials including sheets of card in many colours, thickness and size and a large sheet was purchased yesterday, hopefully will do this job today. Then it remains to fit capping stones, road surface etc. Hopefully, the next pictures will be of a better quality.

Regards. Brian. ( wireman )

Spring on the way. Garden needs work. Tortoise has woken up.

• Like 4

Road surface, capping stones etc. now fitted, although a trial fitment on the layout meant a bit of adjustment on the baseboard edge. It still needs a little weathering but I will now start bedding it in to its final position.

post-3742-0-86174300-1458993513.jpg

Now the rest of the new area, incuding the lifting flap needs scenic work. Ideas welcome. Although the last time I said that, it led to the building of this bridge ! I

would like to have something which appears to be in the distance, small village ?, this may be difficult in such a small space, plus a general country side feel.

post-3742-0-42405700-1458993741.jpg

The area closest to the inside edge will probably still become a small coal yard. Trucks being unloaded from the siding by the coal merchants JCB . Once again, suggestions of what could be used, and where to find a suitable model for the late 1950's early 60's era.are welcome.

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 6

Thanks for comment Mike. I had been thinking about possibly cutting bits from an N gauge scene sheet but had not really thought about RTP N gauge buildings. I'll call into the shop next week and buy a sheet , if it looks right, I still have a Christmas present voucher to spend, so will look at the N gauge building range whilst there.  ( I have been saving the voucher, waiting for the Dapol rail built southern signal to appear, but I think it will be a while yet. )

Thanks Brian. ( wireman )

Fence painting has started.

• 4 months later...

Although my last post was way back in March, things have actually progressed, albiet slowly. Apart from re-visting the wooded area on the hill, plus a bit more on the engine coal dock etc. I have made a little progress on  the lifting flap. First an attempt to cover the hinge by creating a small grassy mound, and a very low grass covered embankment at the rear. This is really no more than at least get something on there.

post-3742-0-11777900-1472036975.jpg

post-3742-0-33161500-1472037063.jpg

Since making the hill over the hinge, I have finally settled on the plan for the coal yard.The area next to the siding will be just a cobbled surface, allowing bagging directly on to a lorry but with most coal being moved to the bins. A weigh bridge hut will stand against the mound, in fact I have cut back into the mound, creating a small retaining wall to allow space. The hut was kit was found whilst clearing up some old kit packets. In fact I had two, both from previous goods shed kits.

post-3742-0-50117200-1472037128.jpg

To seperate the loading / unloading area from the shed approach road there is a low wall. As a prototype for this, the old S & D shed at Branksome was approached past a very low wall alongside a coal yard. Although the shed was long gone, I believe the coal yard was active well into the 60's maybe even later.

post-3742-0-16619000-1472037637.jpg

Will continue with pics.of Weighbridge hut and planned area next time.

Regards. Brian.

• Like 5

Completely forgotten on last post, I did buy a Dapol rail built southern semaphore signal when they were finally released. However., although it worked well on fitting, the next day it did not. A exchange one was received and this time operated using a Train Tech SC3 module, but this one has also been return faulty. I do have though, a 14mm hole.

Regards Brian.

Completely forgotten on last post, I did buy a Dapol rail built southern semaphore signal when they were finally released. However., although it worked well on fitting, the next day it did not. A exchange one was received and this time operated using a Train Tech SC3 module, but this one has also been return faulty. I do have though, a 14mm hole.

Regards Brian.

I've returned 4 Western Region ones, Dapol phoned me to say run them on 12V AC as opposed to the 16V they recommend in the instructions, CRAZY OR WHAT! :no: . I was using a Gaugemaster T1, 16V AC Transformer.

Hi Andrew. yes, all a bit frustrating after waiting so long for them to appear. No worries, all will be sorted I'm sure. The long promised bracket signal will obviously be  twice the fun.

Brian.

• Like 1

Replacement signal has arrived. Working ok. ( At moment. ) The picture is how the coal yard is being planned, nothing fixed yet but I think this will how it will be. There will be plenty of space for detail and clutter although it will all have to be fixed very firmly as this is the lifting flap.

post-3742-0-25476800-1472206186.jpg

post-3742-0-10814100-1472206102.jpg

post-3742-0-78309400-1472206041.jpg

There seems to be very few decent pictures of coal yards at stations, so, I have built the bins on dimensions and style that look generical like those I have seen. These are built using coffee stirrers and balsa wood. Each stirrer reduced in width slightly. This wood is awfull to work with, plus the various coffee outlets are not consistent in which ones they use. Never a thought for us !!

post-3742-0-12554000-1472206907.jpg

post-3742-0-31720900-1472206968.jpg

Well, off to play with the new signal. As it is operated through an SC3 module which will control 2 signals, I may well buy another one. Just need to find another 14mm hole.

Regards Brian.  ( wireman )

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

Looks really good. Just a tip the best quality and most consistently sized coffee stirrers I have used are a batch that my misses "acquired" from McDonalds when she took the kids there once.

The kids are happy with that as well as it gives them a treat when I need to stock up on supplies.

Gary

• Like 1

Dapol signal now fixed and working . One small odd thing, when set up on the SC3 module, button R on the controller was off, green, button L on, red. This being shown on the screen. However after switching on the layout after it has been has been switched off for some time, initial operation of the signal means that if the signal was left in the down on position and the up off is pressed, nothing happens, pressing the down on position makes the motor run although no movement takes place. Once this has happened all works normaly until switched off, then switching on again involves going through the cycle again. This cycle also reverses what is shown on the controller display. Never mind, I'm pleased with it and once sure that it is not going to fail again, will ballast around the base.

post-3742-0-59279000-1472636414.jpg

Regards Brian. ( wireman ).

• Like 6

The simple solution to the odd signal problem mentioned above came from a suggestion from a friend. Set the signal up,green before switching the system off. This works well.Switch controller on, set signal on,red, and it works straight away. I've no idea why this works, but it does.

Brian,  ( wireman ).

• Like 1

After all the excitement of the first working signal to be installed, a start has been made to add a little colour to the coal yard. The bins are not fixed yet but this is the position they will be in  after painting and filling with coal. The odd looking shelter thing on the right hand side is a mock up to check for size and position of a simple cover for the tractor or JCB. I'm still looking for a JCB.suitable for the early 1960's

post-3742-0-43434400-1473090081.jpg

The road out of the yard will pass by the end of the weigh bridge hut. The lane coming in from the other end is an old lane, still used occasionally by the local farmer and will require fencing between it and the railway.

post-3742-0-19325500-1473090322.jpg

post-3742-0-49420600-1473090352.jpg

I am not happy with the weighbridge itself and propose to find something else for its surface. In the meantime, I have a large lump of steam coal to break up into household size 4mm scale lumps.

Regards Brian.  ( wireman ).

• Like 6