Brampton Road

wireman

Hi Marcus. Thanks for comments. The name is simply taken from a road name near the area I live in. ( A bit like Beaulieu Road in the New Forest on the Southampton to Bournemouth line. )

Brian.

Hi Marcus. Thanks for comments. The name is simply taken from a road name near the area I live in. ( A bit like Beaulieu Road in the New Forest on the Southampton to Bournemouth line. )

Brian.

Thanks Brian! I asked because Brampton is (also?) a village in Cambridgeshire next to Buckden, the village whose station I'm currently modelling. I like the concrete posts in that most recent picture!

Marcus.

• Like 1

Hi Marcus, the post are Ratio G.W.R. line side fencing. As supplied they do not have holes as the plastic wire is meant to be glued to the moulded lines on the back. I painted and weathered them on the sprue, then drilled four holes in each, still on the sprue using the moulded lines for spacing. This means the back and front become the sides. Plant a line of post as required, then thread the wires. Hope this makes sense .

Brian.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for comments Olddudders, Mike and Marcus. Have been away for a week or so therefore the delay in replies. The fence post colour is nothing clever Marcus, just RailMatch concrete then weathered using black powder. The platform faces and fencing are the same, just with heavier weathering.

Have realised that the footbridge is a little low, recently acquired M7 chimney touches it, so will rectify this before moving back to work on the shed area. Brian.

I'm not sure,but I think it is rebuilt Eddystone because of the screw reverse, I think Manston  has the steam reverser. However here is another which I do not remember which one it was. My photo filing system is actually worse than my photography. Brian.

post-3742-0-46061400-1406039792.jpg

• Like 2

Trees and sheep. Telephone pole planting on going. I am not sure but I may change these trees in the future. Meanwhile on to the ground cover around the goods shed, head shunt, turntable etc.The goods shed itself may be replaced during the winter, same kit but built with more care and details.

post-3742-0-37784100-1407659714.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Its been a few weeks since my last update, a few days away, plus family commitments, visits etc. have left little railway time. I have also spent a fair bit of time insulating the shed roof, sealing various gaps, new guttering on one end plus renewing a cross support  under the floor at one end. Not easy as the whole end had to be raised a couple of millimetres to remove the old one and refit the new one. However, after the saga of the hill, work has now followed the curve towards the hidden sidings which will be entered through the tunnel entrances as shown. These are difficult to see from the operating well in the centre but will be a scenic part to be enjoyed by the local spider population. One is single bore, the other is double as the first of the sidings point is just outside of the tunnel.

post-3742-0-31120500-1411066510.jpg

post-3742-0-65647700-1411066526.jpg

• Like 4

At the risk of being boring, another picture of the hill. The difference is that the sheep have changed colour. The first ones were very old from my scrap box, general opinion, ie. my wife, said they were very grey so new cream/ white ones were purchased and look much better. Still undecided about the trees though.

post-3742-0-87059000-1411067840.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wireman,

I have only just stumbled across your thread as you can see by the number of "likes" just posted.  What a great looking layout you have housed in such a small shed.  Love it.

As I am currently fitting out an 11 x 7 feet shed which will give me about 10.5 x 6.5 feet once I have finished insulating and lining it out internally, I am also intrigued by your track plan.  Can you tell me what minimum radius you worked to?

Regards,

Brian.

PS Love the hill, trees and shoops.

Thanks for comments Mike and Brian. Yes you are right Mike, I keep looking at it and I think greenery behind the trees is a good idea. The trees in the box looked good, but once planted look a bit plain. I may have a shot at making my own during the winter, but at the moment I have moved on to the tunnels at the entrance to the storage roads. The wing wall nearest the front in the pictures above has been shortened to provide room for a narrow lane to the goods yard. Will post picture of progress so far shortly.

Hi Brian. Once again, thanks for comments. The minimum radius used was where the inner platform track joins the main line. My first attempt at this curve used Peco flexible and everything worked ok apart from a Hornby merchant navy which had the sprung rear driving wheels which would allow the front wheels to rise against the tight curve and derail. This did not happen with the fixed chassis on the west country. My second attempt, ensuring the curve was smooth worked fine until ballasting. It dawned on me that there must be a tightening of gauge as the curve was formed. So the third attempt was to use second radius set track, cut to length. Problem solved and once ballasted looks fine. Hope that helps.

Brian ( wireman )

• Like 1

A couple more pictures of work in progress. The first shows shortened wing wall and proposed lane to goods yard, the retaining wall is not yet fixed. The second is an overall view of this end of the layout. The turntable deck has been removed to avoid damage, it is attached to the drive motor shaft by a  meccano axle fixed to the deck which drops into a short sleeve drilled through with a 4 mm hole, and two grub screws hold it to the motor shaft. This enables quick removal and replacement to stop me leaning on it, which I probably would do if not removed when working near it. I intend to have a rough tarmac area in front of the shed and possibly the lane, with various shades of gravel etc. around this. Glue at the ready.

Brian (wireman).

post-3742-0-23633100-1412767141.jpg

post-3742-0-30892600-1412767169.jpg

• Like 6