Brampton Road

wireman

Hi Brian, what a cracking little layout, a real credit to your modelling skills in a small space, the Station looks fabulous and I used to live in Hampshire I know the area your are in the New Forest your taking it from very well having picknicked by Beaulieu Station a few times.

Love your trackwork as well so neat, and as for the Bulleids, well Plymouth has to be my favorite as that's where I was born, hahah.

Thanks Andy, comments always appreciated. Hi Scott, article is written ... a bit written... been started. Hopefully for Jan. or Feb. Coleborne on the cover ?

Quite a while ago, Odddudders suggested a source of LSWR water cranes, many thanks, have bought three.

Edited by wireman
  • Like 2

Thanks Andy, comments always appreciated. Hi Scott, article is written ... a bit written... been started. Hopefully for Jan. or Feb. Coleborne on the cover ?

Quite a while ago, Odddudders suggested a source of LSWR water cranes, many thanks, have bought three.

Which mag will I be looking for, for Coleborne?

• 2 weeks later...

The tunnel entrances are taking rather a long time although a little progress has been made. The retaining wall is now fixed and Mod Roc has been used to create the hill above the entrance. This was the first time I have used this material and apart from being a little messy was very easy to apply. ( It's probably  not messy for other people.)

post-3742-0-65707400-1414155302.jpg

post-3742-0-22650800-1414155317.jpg

• Like 6

This Standard 4 tank was found needing a good home at the Great Electric Train Show at Gaydon. I used the well known passwords " do you take debit cards " to the trader concerned and it was popped in its box and now resides here. The little bit of missing pipe work will be refitted, always seems to happen when I fit a DCC chip.

post-3742-0-76562700-1414155867.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 5

The tunnel entrances are taking rather a long time although a little progress has been made. The retaining wall is now fixed and Mod Roc has been used to create the hill above the entrance. This was the first time I have used this material and apart from being a little messy was very easy to apply. ( It's probably  not messy for other people.)

Believe me - modroc is ALWAYS messy.... and it doesn't mix well with card structures - hence the reason Sproston has a different tunnel mouth to the original Metcalfe version!!

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve)

Edited by sigtech

Hi Steve. Yes I ruined the capping stones on both tunnel mouths and as you can see on the earlier pictures they were there, now they are not. I attempted to wipe off wet plaster drips. Never mind there's lots of bits left in the kits to make new ones which I will leave until some scenic work has been done. Taking an idea I saw recently in one of the model magazines,the area to be covered in Modroc was sealed with masking tape strips to help keep moisture off the card etc.below, this appears to have worked well. The area behind the tunnel mouths is a lift out section covering part of the storage yard and at some future time will become the rest of the hill.

Regards. Brian ( Wireman )

Starting to add grass etc. The gravel and tarmac need toning down quite a bit and some sort of fence/barrier around the table on the goods yard side is required. Not sure what I'm going to do here yet, I really don't another kit built fence, more perhaps a rail built type. Any ideas welcome. I have also been wondering about a foot / occupation crossing behind the goods shed, but will this be to much in such a small area. Rough grass, bushes to be added at the side of the lane, but I think the top over the tunnel will be kept fairly clear. Next job, restore the ruined capping stones over the tunnel and retaining walls.

post-3742-0-48509700-1415129728.jpg

post-3742-0-91962700-1415129760.jpg

post-3742-0-51748100-1415129870.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Progress still a bit slow but have now replaced the tunnel mouth capping stones. There was not enough parts left to cap the retaining wall, however in the drawer of bits I found the pack of Metcalfe individual paving slabs, left over from making the pavements in the town area, and these proved ideal. I was never happy with the tarmac scatter used in front of the goods shed, so this has been scraped off and the area painted dark grey, mixing in a very light grey whilst still wet. The lane was sanded lightly, then dry brushed with  light grey, adding small amounts of static grass, I think this has certainly improved this lane.  The gravel area has been toned down and again odd bits of grass added. I'm not sure what to put here, possibly an old vehicle left to rust or possibly goods which have arrived waiting collection. Work on the other side of the tracks has included finishing the fence and planting poles, bushes, grass etc. Detailing with signs, turntable fence, more green stuff, buffer stops all to do.

Brian. (wireman )

post-3742-0-72976400-1416845303.jpg

post-3742-0-51567300-1416846813.jpg

post-3742-0-85658100-1416846836.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Since my last post in November, progress has been a little slow, but hopefully the pictures show the goods yard is coming along. Still many small details to add and now I am moving along to the Loco shed, the base shown in the second  picture. The yard in front of the goods shed was causing me some problems but a recent visit from Nick ( Coleborne Junction) wielding a brush and weathering powder has transformed it. In previous post, I mentioned that I was unhappy with the goods shed itself, this has been replaced with a new one and gutters and downpipes added since the photo was taken. In the tiny space on the far side of the running line over the fence, I have attempted to show the short grass, pony and gorse which, despite the title of forest, would be main things seen from a train on a trip across the local New Forest. ( Bournemouth to Southampton ). ( There is more than one pony in the real forest, lots in fact ).

Brian. ( wireman ).

post-3742-0-43375000-1421770974.jpg

post-3742-0-74180200-1421772002.jpg

post-3742-0-88883500-1427203962.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

Progress still a little slow. The loco yard area base colour has been darkened slightly and two coaling stages are under way. These are being built with the remains of a Peco platform kit and wooden coffee stirrers. Total outlay so far has been 40p. The basic format will be as shown although these water cranes are not going to be used. Alternative suggestions welcome. The hill in the top left has grown more trees since first shown, these were a first attempt at creating my own, plus detailing to the goods shed is ongoing. My 511 ZTC unit is off  for upgrading this week , plus painting the outside of our bungalow will curtail railway time somewhat.

Still this concentrates what time is available for building instead of playing.

post-3742-0-28868100-1427101355.jpg

post-3742-0-03236700-1427101384.jpg

post-3742-0-16634500-1427101811.jpg

• Like 7

Bungalow painting proceeding well, plus ash added to shed roads, grassy bits to left of shed and colour to area between turntable road and shed.

Brian ( Wireman ).

post-3742-0-28616100-1427129119.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Bungalow painting almost finished, B.R. Southern region green being rejected in favour of Cornish cream, and my ZTC 511 upgrade returned promptly. Unfortunately a CV reading problem means the 511 has to go back to Taunton controls this week, hopefully all will be well on its return. Latest pictures below of coaling stage progress plus I had forgotten about these manual point levers I bought a while ago to fit around the shed and goods yard. These were from Detail Matters, I think this is an Irish company, the ground signals used on Coleborne Junction were also bought from them. These items came ready painted and were very reasonably priced. The third picture is the M7 in the late evening sunshine, in my mind, it is simmering with low steam pressure ready to go to one of the shed roads.

Brian . ( Wireman )

post-3742-0-84712600-1429081317.jpg

post-3742-0-71421100-1429081384.jpg

post-3742-0-44538900-1429081410.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 6