Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

A little teaser of the project I have started to do, a GE shortie SK from leftovers, bunged together today.

535523587_GEShortieComp.jpg.960e10af717f9de3a591aad5df113ba1.jpg

Compartment side

140193717_GEShortieCorr.jpg.57fc3a1547e0026b32fdea0222e4f42d.jpg

Corridor side. I have a new pack of Miliput.

Instead of scratchbuilding a chassis I have shortened one of the chassis that came with the pile of coaches I won on Vectis Auctions.

I have been cutting and shutting the sides for 9 different LNER brake coaches from the Hornby shortie coaches.

Photos once they have roofs and chassis, here is a list of what I have been doing.

4 compartment BFK

2F/2S BCK

2F/3S BCK

2F/4S BCK

3F/3S BCK

3 comp BSK

4 comp BSK

5 comp BSK

4 comp end door BSK

Plus I have glued together a Kirk BSO (thanks Steve) which at the moment is not allocated to a train.

I have plans to make 3 six coach trains, I have enough Hornby shortie CKs to cut and shut to do some CKs (3 1/2 F / 4S, all door, end door and luggage) and a pie of SKs (All door, end door and even one of the convertible day coach/sleeper as well as the GE shortie). There will also be a late Thompson SK rounded corners to its windows. Three of the BCKs will be for adding to the trains if they are to be split en-route. There will also be a couple of catering coaches.

Once they are on their chassis I have plans to attack some Lima CKs to make the 1957 Metro-Cammel FK and SK prototypes and the left over bits to be used with a BG to make a BSO.

Also on the to do list LMS coaches, I have made  a start with one of the post war built Coronation Scott SOs. It uses the 'orrid Railroad Stanier coaches as its basis. Excuse the workshop bogies, I still need to buy some LMS bogies. 

138250677_CorriScottSO.jpg.8bdd6965f221aec10b8eb8c065bd0719.jpg

I have a pair of Railroad Stanier coaches destined to become a 1939 Coronation Scott Semi SO+SK twin, just today I was thinking I am short of LMS brake coaches so they might become a 1939 Coronation Scott SK+BSK twin. I have a slight surplus of SKs so that might help balance things.

More for detailing and painting one day.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A little teaser of the project I have started to do, a GE shortie SK from leftovers, bunged together today.

720521477_GEShortieComp.jpg.74343ccaf07d2fc43e08f893b1b08376.jpg

Compartment side

1395326483_GEShortieCorr.jpg.086d881bbeafb612d338d1ee1a35c986.jpg

Instead of scratchbuilding a chassis I have shortened one of the chassis that came with the pile of coaches I won on Vectis Auctions.

I have been cutting and shutting the sides for 9 different LNER brake coaches from the Hornby shortie coaches.

Photos once they have roofs and chassis, here is a list of what I have been doing.

4 compartment BFK

2F/2S BCK

2F/3S BCK

2F/4S BCK

3F/3S BCK

3 comp BSK

4 comp BSK

5 comp BSK

4 comp end door BSK

Plus I have glued together a Kirk BSO (thanks Steve) which at the moment is not allocated to a train.

I have plans to make 3 six coach trains, I have enough Hornby shortie CKs to cut and shut to do some CKs (3 1/2 F / 4S, all door, end door and luggage) and a pie of SKs (All door, end door and even one of the convertible day coach/sleeper as well as the GE shortie). There will also be a late Thompson SK rounded corners to its windows. Three of the BCKs will be for adding to the trains if they are to be split en-route. There will also be a couple of catering coaches.

Once they are on their chassis I have plans to attack some Lima CKs to make the 1957 Metro-Cammel FK and SK prototypes and the left over bits to be used with a BG to make a BSO.

Also on the to do list LMS coaches, I have made  a start with one of the post war built Coronation Scott SOs. It uses the 'orrid Railroad Stanier coaches as its basis. Excuse the workshop bogies, I still need to buy some LMS bogies. 

551634746_CorriScottSO.jpg.66ea1066b148f25763edb22330133f81.jpg

I have a pair of Railroad Stanier coaches destined to become a 1939 Coronation Scott Semi SO+SK twin, just today I was thinking I am short of LMS brake coaches so they might become a 1939 Coronation Scott SK+BSK twin. I have a slight surplus of SKs so that might help balance things.

Brilliant work as always Buddy.:good:

What Livery are you thinking of, Network South East, or First Great Western Barbie Livery?:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 10

6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

GRASS?:D

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Lookie here matey, I have Mrs M daily on about there is too much grass and the horses is getting fat or there isn't enough grass and they need more hay. So why would I want to model it?

I wasn't thinking of the green stuff.:o:fie::nono::swoon:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Flicking through yesterday's rail report on page 136 this says it all.

"By around 2030 (at the end

of Control Periods 7 and 8 ),

passengers COULD see:"

Not WILL see

COULD is not a commitment.

Based on a lot of the debates on Threads around here and other Platforms why would you expect anything else?

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Based on a lot of the debates on Threads around here and other Platforms why would you expect anything else?

Paul

Hi Paul

My post comes from the report, not from the horror stories from the news and other people opinions or even my natural political inclination. I haven't studied the report closely yet but even just flicking through it I can see it is not good news for those who work in the rail industry, and use railways. Very sad.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Clive

Whatever was going to be proposed would not be good news, I’m afraid. The Rail Network as it stands is too expensive to run.  It was always said Network Rail gets overcharged for everything it buys.

No doubt the Treasury are about to squeeze everything.  The Pendulum has swung again.

Paul

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 22:19, Clive Mortimore said:

720521477_GEShortieComp.jpg.74343ccaf07d2fc43e08f893b1b08376.jpg

Compartment side

1395326483_GEShortieCorr.jpg.086d881bbeafb612d338d1ee1a35c986.jpg

4 compartment BFK

2F/2S BCK

2F/3S BCK

2F/4S BCK

3F/3S BCK

3 comp BSK

4 comp BSK

5 comp BSK

4 comp end door BSK

551634746_CorriScottSO.jpg.66ea1066b148f25763edb22330133f81.jpg

Get the Bachmann bogies, they rock and run really well!
Regards, Chris.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Get the Bachmann bogies, they rock and run really well!
Regards, Chris.

HI Chris

I have some and not got around to fitting them. I have quite a few LMS coaches that need LMS bogies and looked on the interweb, I can't seem to find Airfix/Dapol ones, or the older Mainline ones. Bachmann ones are very expensive  

• Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

HI Chris

I have some and not got around to fitting them. I have quite a few LMS coaches that need LMS bogies and looked on the interweb, I can't seem to find Airfix/Dapol ones, or the older Mainline ones. Bachmann ones are very expensive  

Yes, I'm afraid they are.
MAJ kit LMS bogies are worth getting. Plastic and Romford coach wheels fit fine.
I assume the Hornby LMS bogies are just as expensive.
Peter's Spares is where I go to get my bogies.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

You sure it's only the song that appealed to you mate ?  :blink:

It is a very sad video, because she visits the grave of someone she loved.

Check out some of her other stuff, she will either make it big or be one these artist who in 20 to 30 years time everyone will say they were into just to look cool.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Sad news about Bob Essery dying today. Just sitting in my computer chair and looking to the books on the floor to my right is one of his on coaches and glancing at the bookshelf over my left shoulder are some on wagons.

I had a couple of brief chats with him at the NEC when he was on the Wildswan stand. I recall thanking him for all the books he had written and helped write and him trying to sell me the one I had purchased a few weeks before.

A big loss to our hobby .

RIP Bob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

I have found a very interesting coach. M999M, a TSO of Gresley design but not like a LNER one. It is a CLC coach, hence being in the LMS/LMR numbers. It was the only gangwayed coach from the CLC stock that became BR property, I am not sure if they had any others. What was it used for? A single CK or BCK added to a train would make sense but a TSO seems odd. I know the GNR and GCR bits of the CLC continued to use LNER locos and I presume long distance trains would have been still LNER stock so did it run with these?

As a coach it differs from the normal LNER TSO (TTO) in having one less seating bay, a toilet each end and luggage racks like an LMS SO. LNER TSOs only have toilets one end so visually it looks different. Copies of the diagram, CLC1273,  are in the Harris brown book and the Longworth SR/LMS bible.  One to add to the to start list, I am sure it would have been seen at Sheffield Exchange.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have found a very interesting coach. M999M, a TSO of Gresley design but not like a LNER one. It is a CLC coach, hence being in the LMS/LMR numbers. It was the only gangwayed coach from the CLC stock that became BR property, I am not sure if they had any others. What was it used for? A single CK or BCK added to a train would make sense but a TSO seems odd. I know the GNR and GCR bits of the CLC continued to use LNER locos and I presume long distance trains would have been still LNER stock so did it run with these?

As a coach it differs from the normal LNER TSO (TTO) in having one less seating bay, a toilet each end and luggage racks like an LMS SO. LNER TSOs only have toilets one end so visually it looks different. Copies of the diagram, CLC1273,  are in the Harris brown book and the Longworth SR/LMS bible.  One to add to the to start list, I am sure it would have been seen at Sheffield Exchange.

@Michael Edge might know something about it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ran some trains today including a LMS 4P 3cylinder 2-6-4T with my Tilbury line coaches behind it. Off to to Southend for the day, got me kiss me quick hat, a paddle in the mud, pie and mash for lunch, a play on the dodgems in the Kursal, and ice cream before going home. Mustn't forget a stick of rock for my little brother and some cockles for Grandad.

I also drew this, a BR (Eastleigh) conversion of a diagram 95 third sleepers to cafeteria cars.

689981992_LNERcar2.png.07e4bfe0165b923e9279d8637e76512b.png

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 1