Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

Great to see a new video. Hats off to you if you do adjust the sleeper spacing, that's going to take some time and patience. 

I used the bullhead rail and was very happy with it, it does look much better.

I agree that bullhead rail looks nice, but FB track can be made to look as good when the sleepers are spaced out & costs nothing if you make the templates yourself.

Everard Mk1 was based around 1990 so had plenty of concrete sleeper track. I assume Everard Mk2 will be based in the same time period, so this will need concrete sleeper track too.

It took me about 30 minutes per yard to lay, including spacing the sleepers. Having seen the end result, I felt it was time well spent.

• RMweb Gold

I agree that bullhead rail looks nice, but FB track can be made to look as good when the sleepers are spaced out & costs nothing if you make the templates yourself.

Everard Mk1 was based around 1990 so had plenty of concrete sleeper track. I assume Everard Mk2 will be based in the same time period, so this will need concrete sleeper track too.

It took me about 30 minutes per yard to lay, including spacing the sleepers. Having seen the end result, I felt it was time well spent.

30 minutes? It took me an hour!!  :laugh:  Having said that Pete, I can lay it without spacers now!

I'm not sure I'd want to do a layout the size of Everard Junction though - that's a lot of track laying.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And I thought it was only me that was mad enough to add super elevation to the track!

Nice work Richard, the track looks great. It took me around an hour to re-space and lay one length of flexi track so I know the effort you're going to  :good:

Keep the updates coming.

Mike

Great Work Richard, The spacing does make a great difference and looks great on your layout as well as Mike's. Looking forward to seeing how the branch line looks alongside the main tracks.

Bullhead code 75 for me everywhere being in the Wessex region in the early 90's!

Thanks

Rhys

Very,very nice Richard

It was accidentally find your you tube vids a couple of years ago that prompted me in to returning to the hobby after a 30+ year gap.

Now 80 locos and a large double garage layout I’m skint but very happy.

Thanks for making the effort to show/teach people like myself how to do it

Dan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I will be releasing some sleeper spacing templates through the Double O Gauge Association soon. I have some for both 8.5 & 9.5mm spacing (9.5 is the same as Peco's bullhead range but modern track often has them closer).

I am not surprised to hear that this job is driving Richard mad. It took me about 30 minutes per yard. The end result is well worth the effort though.

Pointwork usually has bearers closer together than the sleepers on plain track. BH pointwork with concrete track was a common combination.

• RMweb Gold

I feel your pain with the sleeper spacing Richard, I only had 30' to do and that was enough - you've got miles of the stuff! I worked out that the spacing should be around 7mm to compensate for the width of the Peco sleepers being too narrow, so I overcame this by spacing it by hand without a jig, giving a random but somehow realistic spacing. With the superelevation, I used paper strips combined with plasticard - the advantage being it was easy to fine tune the raising and lowering of the outside edge of the track to stop the trains lurching in to the curve. 

I'm so looking forward to seeing you progress further with this and whilst it was sad to see you dismantle the first layout, I'm sure this one is going to be equally as impressive  :good:

Mike

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 1

I feel your pain with the sleeper spacing Richard, I only had 30' to do and that was enough - you've got miles of the stuff! I worked out that the spacing should be around 7mm to compensate for the width of the Peco sleepers being too narrow, so I overcame this by spacing it by hand without a jig, giving a random but somehow realistic spacing. With the superelevation, I used paper strips combined with plasticard - the advantage being it was easy to fine tune the raising and lowering of the outside edge of the track to stop the trains lurching in to the curve. 

I'm so looking forward to seeing you progress further with this and whilst it was sad to see you dismantle the first layout, I'm sure this one is going to be equally as impressive  :good:

Mike

I have about 25' of track with sleepers spaced. Having done it on the previous layout, I knew that the result would be worthwhile so was happy that the work was worth the reward. I am sure that now you have done yours, I expect you are satisfied with it.

I was sad to see the first layout go. I watched the video describing why & what differences that the new one would contain & I found this one of the most interesting. Some very honest self-crticisms & interesting ideas about what to do with the new layout.

I feel that most of us get to a point where we decide that there are so many things we would like to try, do things better or just differently that the only way is to start again & it was nice to hear someone else express this point of view.

Remember that the first Everard Jcn suffered from a warped fiddle yard which affected running, so this was a major issue & a lot of thought was put into the decision to re-build instead of repair

One trick which has not been missed is photographs. I often look back at photos of mine & friend's old layouts fondly. Everard Jcn 1's videos are a great way to remember it.

The new layout looks to be taking shape very nicely & I am enjoying following its progress.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have about 25' of track with sleepers spaced. Having done it on the previous layout, I knew that the result would be worthwhile so was happy that the work was worth the reward. I am sure that now you have done yours, I expect you are satisfied with it.

I was sad to see the first layout go. I watched the video describing why & what differences that the new one would contain & I found this one of the most interesting. Some very honest self-crticisms & interesting ideas about what to do with the new layout.

I feel that most of us get to a point where we decide that there are so many things we would like to try, do things better or just differently that the only way is to start again & it was nice to hear someone else express this point of view.

Remember that the first Everard Jcn suffered from a warped fiddle yard which affected running, so this was a major issue & a lot of thought was put into the decision to re-build instead of repair

One trick which has not been missed is photographs. I often look back at photos of mine & friend's old layouts fondly. Everard Jcn 1's videos are a great way to remember it.

The new layout looks to be taking shape very nicely & I am enjoying following its progress.

Totally agree Pete, it's how we get better  :good:

• 2 months later...