Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

Hi Richard,

I hadn't posted on here until now but I'm a big fan of the layout and is a firm favourite on YouTube. I'm sorry to see what's happened as it's a very well executed layout. The canal section and run up to the tunnel mouth are just wonderful and have provided plenty of inspiration for me. You can rest easy knowing the layout is well documented through video and on here and of course the well deserved magazine article. It would have been harder for you to accept without those positives.

I wish you all the best for your next layout.

Cheers,

John

Hi Richard

Firstly I just want to say a truly massive thank you for your incredibly informative, educational and inspiring videos on youtube. Your work on Everard Junction has inspired me to try new methods and learn new things, especially air brushing, track ballasting, resprays, weathering, scenic work, etc.  You probably have no idea how many people have learned from and been inspired by your work, and their depth of gratitude for the immense amount of time it takes to setup, shoot and edit each of your videos.

Wishing you the very best with the re-construction and I admire your courageous decision to redo Everard Junction.  It was, and I'm sure its off-spring will continue to be a source of knowledge and inspiration.  Thank you for sharing your journey and your constantly evolving expertise. 

Noel

Edited by NoelG

• RMweb Premium

Shame to see the layout come to an end but your YouTube videos have been excellent.

I certainly wish you the best on the next layout and hope that you continue to upload videos of the progress.

Really sad to see such a fantastic layout go, but it looks like the boards really are on their last legs

Will you be switching to Code 75 track for the scenic area? Its something you've mentioned previously that bothered you

All the best for the updated layout, I'm sure it will be even better - you have a real talent

Edited by UnauthorisedCinnamon

Hi Richard

Firstly I just want to say a truly massive thank you for your incredibly informative, educational and inspiring videos on youtube. Your work on Everard Junction has inspired me to try new methods and learn new things, especially air brushing, track ballasting, resprays, weathering, scenic work, etc.  You probably have no idea how many people have learned from and been inspired by your work, and their depth of gratitude for the immense amount of time it takes to setup, shoot and edit each of your videos.

Wishing you the very best with the re-construction and I admire your courageous decision to redo Everard Junction.  It was, and I'm sure its off-spring will continue to be a source of knowledge and inspiration.  Thank you for sharing your journey and your constantly evolving expertise. 

Noel

I agree thoroughly with Noel above & I couldn't have said it better myself.

I have learned a great deal from your videos & look forward to the new beginning.

The one suggestion I can make for anyone thinking of using their loft is "INSULATION"

You can never have enough of it.

Good luck Richard & looking forward to your new venture.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

It's always sad to see an established layout go and it can't have been an easy decision, especially as it had only recently been featured in the magazine. I am in a similar situation with Exford Park at the moment as it has been nearly two years since it was removed from the loft in the family home and is propped against the garage wall. I will have a new shed by early May with space to resurrect it, but I can't decide whether to bite the bullet and recycle it to build it again but better like yourself. It was the best and most complete layout I'd ever built so it's not an easy one but at the moment I'm leaning towards a fresh start. I look forward to your rebuild here, will it be similar or completely new ideas?

Best of luck with your next endeavour.

MDF Is just passable on vertical structures. But it's a pig of a material on horizontal surfaces , requiring multiple supports.

In my opinion good quality European Birch ply is the best with MR grade ( moisture resistant ) being acceptable for indoors rather then the more expensive WBP grade

• RMweb Premium

An excellent layout, and an excellent series of videos and guides too.

Fair play to you for taking the plunge and starting over, as sad as it must be in one respect, it must also be exciting given the opportunity to start over with methods and knowledge since gained over the past eight years.

As ever, I'll remain another of your many avid followers and look out for your updates with anticipation over the coming months. Good luck.

Edited by Foden

Sad to see the layout being dismantled but excited to see the next step in the layouts evolution. Ive been watching the videos for some time now which has inspired me to tear out my old layout last year and create a better space for a new one which im just now starting with the baseboard construction. Im sure I will be attempting some of the modeling techniques from the how too video section. The late BR blue and sectorisation era was my childhood and the focus of railway modeling for me so everard Junction will continue to be a source of inspiration to hopefully drive my own modeling on to another level.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This has always been one of my favourite layouts on You Tube.

Sorry to see it go, but looking forward to seeing the new and improved Everard Junction take shape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Hi Richard,

Only just seen the video about your big recycling task. Best of luck with it, I'm sure if it is half as good as this it will be better than anything I could manage! Never an easy decision, but I'm sure you'll give it your all. I used MDF on Oxford Road. No problems after 10 years with sagging (each board is only 1foot by 3), the only issue is my back - they weigh a ton!

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Rich

Sorry to see the demise of your layout as although you model a different era your videos and demos have been a great source information and help to me. The upside to this of course is that when you start your new layout there will be a whole new set of videos to look forward to, hopefully!

As you are the only person I have seen using the Helix system intensively I wanted to ask your advice about them. One of our group is designing a layout which because of space limitations will include a four ring helix at each end going down to a storage/return area. Based on your experience are there any obvious things to aviod regarding materials or design.

Sorry to see the demise of your layout as although you model a different era your videos and demos have been a great source information and help to me. The upside to this of course is that when you start your new layout there will be a whole new set of videos to look forward to, hopefully!

As you are the only person I have seen using the Helix system intensively I wanted to ask your advice about them. One of our group is designing a layout which because of space limitations will include a four ring helix at each end going down to a storage/return area. Based on your experience are there any obvious things to aviod regarding materials or design.

Hope you don't mind me throwing in my two cents on Helix's here, the best bits of advise I can give is to use good quality wood such as a plywood this should help aid against sagging like MDF would. Also you need to consider how the helix will be held up will you be using the method of threaded rods and nuts or using protruding parts from the circle to screw wood standoffs into. This will determine the thickness of wood needed and also the width of the track bed  with enough excess for threaded rods or wooden standoffs.

The plan at the moment is to use 10mm ply for strength and lightness and fit them on  rods so that hopefully there will be a fine enough adjustment to ensure that the slope is consistent over the entire length.

Unfortunately as we haven't seen one working in real life its getting the fine details right that's the difficulty.