Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Richard and I’ve been lurking around here as a guest for some time.  I've been helped and inspired by loads of stuff on here and thought it’s about time to show some of my efforts. 

Some of you may already know me as the creator of Everard Junction which features on YouTube.  I started the layout in late 2009 and have been working on it ever since.  The basic idea was to create something which was reliable.  My previous DC layout had very poor track work and caused huge issues every time I used it.  Everard Junction was to be bigger, better, reliable and above all Fun to operate.

attachicon.gifIMG_1039.jpg

Era - British Rail sectorisation in the late 80s.

The previous layout was the typical 60s choice to allow a mix of steam and diesel.  When planning the new layout I thought back to my childhood in the early 90s.  I remember seeing NSE and IC liveried trains rushing passed and wanted to try and recapture that.

Location - Somewhere not far from the great western mainline with connections to Reading, Didcot, Bristol, Bath and Birmingham   

The trains I saw as a child were running through Watford from Euston (so were probably a mix of class 86 and 87s).  I didn't have the skill to build OHLE so I settled on diesels running in the liveries I remember as a child.  To get more variety I backdated to the late 80s.  This made research much more difficult as I wasn't born until 92! 

Stock - Diesel locomotives and DMUs of the period

I've developed a great fondness for most of the mainstream diesels of the period so I try to have as much variety as possible on the layout while still remaining prototypical.  You will see examples of classes 08/20/31/33/37/43/47/50/56/58/60 running on the layout

Control - Lenz LH100

Back in 2009 there wasn't so much choice when it came to DCC systems.  I went for a Lenz and it's been fantastic.

Track - Peco code 100 streamline

I've always used some Peco in past layouts and been very impressed.  Everything is code 100 due to the various set track curves on the hidden parts of the layout and helixes.

Track Plan

The layout is basically a horseshoe shape with a helix at each end and a lower level to run trains continuously.  It takes about 3 minutes for a freight train to complete a loop of the layout.  Passenger trains take about 1:30 to 2 minutes.  

attachicon.gifTrack Plan.jpg

Here are some pics of the layout in its current state..

attachicon.gifIMG_1042.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1043.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1044.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1045.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1048.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1049.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1058.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1050.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1054.jpg

Let me know what you think  :thankyou:

love the layout richard the hellixs are great keep up the good work mate

Many thanks for the kind words above guys!

I filmed another layout update last night..  Went to edit the footage and discovered a huge smudge on the camera lens had messed up every clip :negative:

I'll be trying again tonight.

hi richard welcome to Rm web well your layout is got everyone talking it is liked and loved by lots of people i cant get enough of it it has give me lot of ideas i am always on you tube looking for the next update hope to see more pics and vids soon keep up the good work mate all the best david AKA hornbyhall :locomotive:  :senile:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Richard

I am trying to find one of your video's where you show how you used Liquid Gravity to add extra weight to a steam locomotive. Could you please send me a link or the title of the video?

Cheers

Paul

I think this is what you are looking for

Update 01/11/2014  the bit you're after starts around 14:30

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73SCFOrL4o:

Thanks Richard that's the one.

Can I just ask what glue you used? Some say just regular superglue and some recommend Rocket glue (of which there are various types). I will try a little experiment with superglue anyway but am interested to know...

Cheers again

Paul

Thanks Richard that's the one.

Can I just ask what glue you used? Some say just regular superglue and some recommend Rocket glue (of which there are various types). I will try a little experiment with superglue anyway but am interested to know...

Cheers again

Paul

I should look at who is replying... sorry beejack...  :mosking:

• 3 weeks later...

hi Rich,

Thanks for the videos and your RMweb story, amazing how the photos (here) deliver a another perspective to your work, great balance of practical (video) and detail (photos), really appreciate you sharing all this information and time with us all.

Best regards, it will be time to turn the heaters on soon enough,

Stanley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Digital

Fantastic layout and superb videos.

Your videos are excellent and I have gained so much information from them.

Thank you for sharing.

John

Guest Digital

Had a running session today and dusted off the Camtruck.  Quite a bit has changed since it last went around the layout.  Being based in a 4 wheeled wagon it gets quite a harsh ride and finds every lump and bump in the track.

What camera are you using on your Camtruck.

Thanks

John

Hi hope all is ok loving the layout was wondering if I only used two curves on a helix would that make it smaller or would it still have to be 4 foot also was wondering what thickness cork underlay do you use please?

Kind regards

Stephen

Edited by Chrisprat

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent the last few days working on the biggest scratchbuilding project I've ever attempted.  I wanted to have a large carriage shed on the new section.  Couldn't find anything suitable ready to run or in kit form so started to build my own from scratch.  So far I've managed to complete the frame which is made from brass I beam and box section.  It's all soldered together and got very repetitive and boring very quickly!.  

The shed is about 160mm wide and 1450mm long.  Next I'll start working on the plasticard sides & roof.

post-23223-0-28236800-1455478894_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-58756400-1455478895_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-84644000-1455478896_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-96978100-1455478897_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-18594300-1455478899_thumb.jpg

I've also filmed to process from start to finish.

Cheers

• Like 16

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard been on here following your page as a guest for some time and just got round to making an account, one quick question. I have recently started my own layout and was wondering what airbrush and compressor you use as I would like to weather the track and locos on my layout. Many Thanks Edward

• Like 1