Favorite real diesel loco to drive (question to drivers)

Hugh Flynn

When I was a second man I would say class 60 great cab very comfortable, you could get a good sleep on the night shift. Very quiet in the cab I love class 37s but noisy in the cab and hard to get the feet up. 

In terms of units class 303 great design of cab everything within reach reliable units great brake. 

Worst units class 144 apart from the obvious ride issue. Rubbish heater, rain would leak in. Cab layout badly thought out.  To be fair never had one fail on me. 

Nothing beats a Deltic for the "thrill" of driving a real loco! For a night shift on ECS, the class 31 was ok for "relaxing" in...

Been lucky enough to drive classes 08, 09, 25, 31, 37, 40, 45, 46, 47, 50, 56, 57, 58, 60, 66 (perhaps not so lucky!), 67, 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 87 and 90, but looking back I'd say they all had or have their nice driving qualities. With some types you'll often find that seemingly identical locos can be very different to each other, particularly 08s and 09s which all have their own character. Out of that lot though for me the 47s and 50s gave the most pleasure. Would dearly love to drive a Hymek, Warship, Western and Deltic though...!

• RMweb Gold

I used to really enjoy driving 47s in my 'shedmaster' days - when I usually 'drove to work' in the morning.  Not so keen on 50s to be honest as they did a lot of the thinking for you and 31s were something of a dead loss trying to 'time' a Class 1 train, on them you had to open up to get to 85 at the west end of Acton station.  I used to quite enjoy occasional goes on an 08 - definitely something from a different age!

The 37, without a doubt.

OK, OK, I own up, I'm not a driver and the 37 is the only mainline diesel I've ever had a chance to drive, so that might have a slight bearing on my views.

I've had a few cab rides though, and the Deltic stands out as the noisiest and most fun (but maybe not over 5 hours from KX to Edinburgh!), and the HST the smoothest.

I used to really enjoy driving 47s in my 'shedmaster' days - when I usually 'drove to work' in the morning.  Not so keen on 50s to be honest as they did a lot of the thinking for you and 31s were something of a dead loss trying to 'time' a Class 1 train, on them you had to open up to get to 85 at the west end of Acton station.  I used to quite enjoy occasional goes on an 08 - definitely something from a different age!

I seem to recall having to open the taps on 31s at the west end of Paddington to get up to 85mph Mike, never mind Acton Mainline! Even on the empty stock jobs we had to give them the beans or we'd never get to the top of the flyover at Kensal Rise!

Forgot to mention I've also driven HSTs - very, very nice indeed, although the cabs could be a little draughty at times.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall having to open the taps on 31s at the west end of Paddington to get up to 85mph Mike, never mind Acton Mainline! Even on the empty stock jobs we had to give them the beans or we'd never get to the top of the flyover at Kensal Rise!

Forgot to mention I've also driven HSTs - very, very nice indeed, although the cabs could be a little draughty at times.

That was for the 85prs at Acton on the Up Main Nidge - if you'd got up to 80 by Ealing Broadway you were doing well with a pair of those things.  Whereas with a 47 it was 'shut the controller about Longfield/Ealing Broadway and you might possibly have to tickle the brake but the needle should be dead steady on 85 as you pass the end of Acton platform.  The 60 at Ladbroke Grove required a bit more though because you had to open up again to keep steady at 85 all the way to Old Oak panel - at which point, give or take a coach length or two, you shut off and put the brake in to get exactly 60 passing the board with the brake in boost (vac brake).

We had a Basingstoke Driver get on one morning at Reading and apart from his interest in who was driving he was sort of rendered speechless when we ran up towards Old Oak  panel at 85 and the Driver told him there was a 60 at Ladbroke Grove and just how far way it was (or wasn't); when he got off at Paddington the Basingstoke bloke still couldn't stop saying 'are you sure this isn't an air brake train?'

For sheer power nothing can beat the 373`s   for pleasure of driving HST`s for some dirty noisy fun a 47 and for power and comfort a class 90.    Although the class 91`s are smart and nice to drive they are very uncomfortable for long journeys......

At the end of my career I think the HST`s will hold the best memories for me it will be a very sad day when they go :-(

• RMweb Gold

Ive signed/sign:

142, 150-1/2, 153, 156, 158, 165, 168, 175

Of those i really enjoyed driving 165s, just something about them, never imagined i'd ever drive one when i started by railway career in the north west!

20, 37, 47, 56, 66, 67, 70, MK3 DVT

Of those im quite partial to a class 47, a loco from my youth that holds a place in my heart

And soon i'll sign 60s, yay!!

47s, without a doubt. We didn't get them too often in the mid-late 80s at Norwood, but working the occasional Brighton-Manchester as far as Clapham Junction or North Pole was a pleasure. Our Cromptons were ok but didn't like the EDs much. Way too bouncy at speed and underpowered on diesel. Good yard shunters though. Pete.

20's/for colliery jobs.

45 for anything else.

MOST other drivers liked 45's as well. They had great cab heaters and a good cooker!!

I agree on both locos, a single Class 20 was ideal for local trip work-you didn't have to keep changing ends.  Both warm and comfortable for sleeping on too!

I've also worked on EMD SD & GP10's,  the SD's are probably my all time favourite, great cab environment and sure footed to boot.

Mick.

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I agree on both locos, a single Class 20 was ideal for local trip work-you didn't have to keep changing ends.  Both warm and comfortable for sleeping on too!

just dont put your brew can on the 2nd desk anywhere near the throttle lever!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I have worked on various types of traction during my career as a driver from diesel to electric. these include 08, 25, 31,45,47,56,86,87,90, HST, 222 'Meridians', 170 turbostars, first generation DMU's,  313, 317 & 321's.

My favourites that I have worked on would be for me the class 45's as HST's.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice - 31, 47, 90, HST

Not so nice - 40, 46, 08, 58

Horrible - all DMU and EMU (but thats my personal preference)

Best - nothing like sitting up high on a sunny day with a light non-stop express (7 or 8 MK2D) and thrashing a Deltic from KX to Darlington non-stop, then a gentle stroll at around 85 - 90 mph to Newcastle. Going into lodge after a few beers, and the hope for a good sleep on a 47 for 5 hours back to London on the sleepers. Could do it the other way round as well, plenty of lodge diagrams to choose from, including Freightliners and the big 'uns like the Scotsman and Talisman. Happy days, pity most drivers now don't know what they missed.

• RMweb Gold

plenty of lodge diagrams to choose from, pity most drivers now don't know what they missed.

i love lodge turns, had a big one over the weekend in london (4 days) and have another 2 days worth next week round the oxford area then another 4 days "somewhere on the western region" in september

its surprising how many drivers try to avoid them or just plain refuse to do them which is wrong as its part of the terms of the contract that you may be required to lodge

Good for you Jim, glad to hear that lodging is still being enjoyed somewhere. We used to do it with regular mates plus a guard, and there would usually be 4 or 5 crews at Newcastle at the same time, so plenty of opportunity for some fun. Lodging really was very sociable for us. Pity I can't repeat some of the antics that went on at our lodge hotel but it doesn't take much imagination to work it out. Then as now, Newcastle was a great place to go out at night, best to walk up the middle of Northumberland Street so you could dodge the beer bottles flying from one side of the road to the other !

From a railway point of view, we had all sorts of trains on lodge turns but mostly non-stops, daytime around 3/12 hours run up to 5 hours at night with sleepers and freightliners. Shutting down the leading engine on Deltics was common for a bit of peace & quiet at night, but daytime running was usually a flat out thrash. I have lodged on everything from a 31 to HST, and in all weathers. Longest trip was 12 1/2 hours one way on Saturday night when we hardly saw any of the ECML due to engineering diversions, as usual the secondman spent the whole trip sleeping in the train to make space for the pilotmen.

On a couple of occasions we did a return trip, special working at Xmas kind of stuff when crews had to get back to their home depot. Depending on how you looked at it, it was great or a nightmare, pushing the limits of drivers hours/speed etc, but with 536 miles on your ticket and mileage paid from 140 miles at the rate of an hours pay for every extra 15 miles there were few miserable faces. Happy days........

Class 45 , you couldn't overload one, rode well and the cab heater under the drivers desk was brilliant, kept you as warm as toast.

Followed by a good old 47, to me a well laid desk layout, a quick glance and all the information was there to hand.

If someone offered me the chance of an HST or a 45 and 9 vacuum from Sheffield to St Pancras I would take the 45 everytime, simply for the fun of and the skill required, to drive it.

Pete

Archived