andytrains

So, quite rightly in some ways, you hit the loco sheds/station and not the Market! Decisions, decisions! as I may have mentioned, I used to live in Edinburgh, so then haggis was the thing. 

Apart from seeing one or two of the last A2's from Dundee. 

Last steam on BR I saw was at Water Orton, Saltley and Tyseley, Birmingham.

By the time we went to Glasgow it was nearly all dead, Class21/29's, Claytons and 06's.

image.png.96ed6d7752f4603649ebdbb73389bcda.png

Polmadie. I think 1969/70.

Not brilliant picture, scanned from a 126 negative.

I got shed passes for Polmadie, Eastfield and Corkerhill.

The foreman at Eastfield was not impressed, as he had to find somebody to show me around and he had not been notified of my pass.

The foreman at the other two just let me wander around on my own.

Imagine that now.

• Like 8

In 1966 (I think) a work colleague and I went to Glasgow one Sunday (we lived in Edinburgh), to see what we could see at one or two of the steam sheds. We did Polmadie - still a bit of steam, but not much. We also went to at least one other shed which I remember (not sure which) and we were shocked to see two NB diesels (class 22  now I think), standing dead, windows smashed. I am sure we did Corkerhill too, but again saw hardly anything of steam. 

Found the original photo of Polmadie, above that I had printed and on the back is listed, 2431, 8520 behind and 8534 to right.

It would have been a North British, class 21/29. I have a photo at Eastfield of 2427, 2434 and 6108. They were parked up in the sidings on the far side of the main line from the shed. Looks like they may all have smashed windows and the Barclay shunters look like they had been cannibalised.

Edited by andytrains

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More photos:-

DSCF2950.JPG.58517bdefe6181b5a227d45c78f934e4.JPG

13198, Bachmann, Ultrascale wheels and Bill Bedford coupling rods.

DSCF3001.JPG.87fea3b9d9868d54c79fcfacf32e6ce3.JPG

45487, Black 5. Hornby, converted with Alan Gibson wheels and Brassmasters detailing kit.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

More loco pic's.

DSCF2805.JPG

Airfix 4F on a Perseverance chassis.

DSCF3087.JPG

Bachmann J39 converted to EM with Society wheelsets.

DSCF3077.JPG

Nu-Cast Sentinel on Black Beetle. (Far too fast).

DSCF3038.JPG

South East Finecast J69, with Scottish Shunters step.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

Hello Andy

The locos are superb. I did a Scottish rail rover for a week in 1971 with other Water Orton based train spotters. We travelled overnight to Inverness then down the East Coast….Aberdeen ..then Edinburgh. We stayed most of the week in a B and B in Haymarket, often catching the class 27 push pull to Glasgow. Great memories

best wishes Brian

• Like 3

On 08/11/2022 at 23:04, 46256 said:

Hello Andy

The locos are superb. I did a Scottish rail rover for a week in 1971 with other Water Orton based train spotters. We travelled overnight to Inverness then down the East Coast….Aberdeen ..then Edinburgh. We stayed most of the week in a B and B in Haymarket, often catching the class 27 push pull to Glasgow. Great memories

best wishes Brian

We used to go to Glasgow, (Toryglen), to visit my grandparents most summers in the industrial two weeks. My dad was an apprentice electrician in the Glasgow shipyards at the start of WW2. He joined the Royal Navy as soon as he was 18 and served 26 years.  This is where he met my Mum, who was a WREN. (From Birmingham).

So visits up to Toryglen most August's were to see the Grandparents on my Dads side and the rest of his family.

We went on the train most times and I can vaguely remember going through Carlisle with loads of steam engines on shed.  And also the stop at Crewe, where the train stopped for ages for the passengers to go and get some relief and refreshment! It was an overnight train.

Great Days.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought as couple of locos at Expo EM last weekend.

A 2P 4-4-0. (Plastic body, detailed with Comet chassis and Comet tender. Mashima? motor). Non-runner, but a wire had come unsoldered from motor.

Bachmann Standard 2-6-4T in green, converted. (So will be a body swap).

So a bit of work to do, but nothing too difficult.

• 7 months later...