Jump to content

Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)


Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

 

Not yet....will probably post it in the relevant ViTrains Class 47 thread.

 

I wish ViTrains brought their Class 37 and Class 47 back. IMHO the best ones on the market for their price.


Not quite sure what “their price” would be today. 
 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, letterspider said:

By this time next week I hope to see new Class 90 liveries.

Ideally the mundane types !

 

How so ? you mean those which have been reliveried ? or new forthcoming releases from Bachmann ? their autumn-releases were devoid of any new 90 when they could have seized the day and popped in a one or two easily.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Well...I like to think they produced a LOT of bodies but new liveries have stalled until they solved the bogie problem.

 

How do you know they haven't done this? There has now been enough time.

We will find out on Tuesday.

  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, letterspider said:

Well...I like to think they produced a LOT of bodies but new liveries have stalled until they solved the bogie problem.

The bogie problem is easy to solve - don’t over tighten the flipping screws in production :mellow: 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/10/2020 at 20:06, Squirrel Rail said:

Managed to get the final bits done on the mainline 90 today. As yet I have resisted the temptation to weather it but will make a decision Sunday as it will be appearing on a certain auction site on Monday!IMG_2078.jpg.3f712d8c7569b7a499a54471e8a47b12.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg.02996adc57f5714d6ad0d15bcebcfb05.jpg

No dont weather it !!!

looks just as I saw them on test trains at Crewe when brand new !

 

The photo is rubbish, but the memory isnt... this is 90033 +90025 one wet summers day at Crewe, with an Intercity 90 inside just in case. I’d just arrived at Crewe, it was around 10am, heard it rumbling up dropped my bag and went to grab the picture..

 

44674FAA-D977-4DDA-86C4-77F772C3023B.jpeg.78b6fe972b44f4687b1baaae27570307.jpeg

of course, nearly 12 years would pass before I earned the beans to process the film, by which time lots of things had changed.

 

note in this picture... no builders plate, yet. BR was reluctant to fix them until released to traffic, as several had “got lost” already.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, letterspider said:

 

I wouldn't say that if I were you ... models where you have to DO SOMETHING to complete them - these appear to have many detractors on this forum


- We're entitled to our own opinions so as long as it doesn't offend people, I don't normally share the same views as the rest of the forum. I've found that the ViTrains Class 47 seems to get the shape spot on. It has it's flaws, but I do prefer it over the troublesome Bachmann ones I had.

- As for DOING SOMETHING to an RTR model, the last few ViTrains Class 47s commissioned by RAIL EXCLUSIVES had all the detail fitted. And this is one such topic on RMweb where it has it's fans and naysayers. Some will whine about having to fit a few detail parts. Others will growl at you for expecting the detail parts to be fitted and not having to DO ANYTHING.

I'm more than happy to fit a few detail parts or do a little touch up so as long as the model in question runs well.
 

9 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:


Not quite sure what “their price” would be today. 
 

Roy


Whatever said and done, they'll always be cheaper than Bachmann's current offering and Heljan's forthcoming offering.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:


- We're entitled to our own opinions so as long as it doesn't offend people, I don't normally share the same views as the rest of the forum. I've found that the ViTrains Class 47 seems to get the shape spot on. It has it's flaws, but I do prefer it over the troublesome Bachmann ones I had.

- As for DOING SOMETHING to an RTR model, the last few ViTrains Class 47s commissioned by RAIL EXCLUSIVES had all the detail fitted. And this is one such topic on RMweb where it has it's fans and naysayers. Some will whine about having to fit a few detail parts. Others will growl at you for expecting the detail parts to be fitted and not having to DO ANYTHING.

I'm more than happy to fit a few detail parts or do a little touch up so as long as the model in question runs well.
 


Whatever said and done, they'll always be cheaper than Bachmann's current offering and Heljan's forthcoming offering.


Nothing wrong with vitrains 37/47. 

That said it felt to me, that Bachmann's prices rose considerably & disproportionately after Vi stopped.

I’m surprised Hornby hasnt tried to buy the tooling, or if they weren't for sale, that someone else hasn't tried to comission.

The Heljan 47 was also fine, just too wide to fit in with the rest, but gave itself premature death anyway with metallurgic issues so extracted itself from peoples fleets.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

No dont weather it !!!

looks just as I saw them on test trains at Crewe when brand new !

 

The photo is rubbish, but the memory isnt... this is 90033 +90025 one wet summers day at Crewe, with an Intercity 90 inside just in case. I’d just arrived at Crewe, it was around 10am, heard it rumbling up dropped my bag and went to grab the picture..

 

44674FAA-D977-4DDA-86C4-77F772C3023B.jpeg.78b6fe972b44f4687b1baaae27570307.jpeg

of course, nearly 12 years would pass before I earned the beans to process the film, by which time lots of things had changed.

 

note in this picture... no builders plate, yet. BR was reluctant to fix them until released to traffic, as several had “got lost” already.

Nice pic! Most of my pics show them with fairly clean body sides but weathered roof and bogies, like here at Ipswich in 1991. I will leave this one ex works and see how it goes...

F1758DA8-4D9B-4292-9536-8E6038BFEF4A.jpeg.6f36b833f38c37a22dfc2a3c698f8693.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:


Nothing wrong with vitrains 37/47. 
 

That said it felt to me, that Bachmann's prices rose considerably & disproportionately after Vi stopped.

I’m surprised Hornby hasn't tried to buy the tooling, or if they weren't for sale, that someone else hasn't tried to commission.
 

The Heljan 47 was also fine, just too wide to fit in with the rest, but gave itself premature death anyway with metallurgic issues so extracted itself from peoples fleets.

 

 

 


I'd agree...

Unfortunately ViTrains aren't selling the tooling for the Class 37 and Class 47.  The UK's most famous model train manufacturer did try to buy it.

As for the Heljan one, apart from be fat (like me LOL!!) the handrail that goes across the fact of it was also too wide and was fitted to the face of the loco too far out, It was also too flat. TBVH I'd buy them if that handrail was better shaped and better proportioned. And yes they came from a time when chassis loved to expand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Squirrel Rail said:

90036 is just about done bar a couple of touch ups identified from the pics IMG_21044.jpg.4ed242f04282f0580a36fbd9586cc7f4.jpg

 

 

IMG_21011.jpg.5d568236669c0342c032abeffca74729.jpg

 

- more pics on my workbench thread 

 

That's really nice Jerry ! It's a really unusual livery, if I wasnt modelling era-9, I'd love such a 90..

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a few alterations since I posted the previous image... beefed it up a bit. Still looking for feedback and suggestions.

 

2089260787_BachmannClass90HornGrille.jpg.6b02e9f705d02e8f244a3cf3ce5ffdc9.jpg

 

If Bachmann don't announce any Anglia Class 90's today with such a horn grille, I will happily consider selling them.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Made a few alterations since I posted the previous image... beefed it up a bit. Still looking for feedback and suggestions.

 

2089260787_BachmannClass90HornGrille.jpg.6b02e9f705d02e8f244a3cf3ce5ffdc9.jpg

 

If Bachmann don't announce any Anglia Class 90's today with such a horn grille, I will happily consider selling them.

 

 

Hi Hayley, just looking at this pic and the ends of the slats are radiused and there are 4 bolt heads top and bottom - 797011626_9000790008.JPG.b3fe83e2fd329998a64f24e62901d882.JPG

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you just working from photos or have you measured a real one? 
 

I’d place the parts a little closer together if I were you and reduce the width of the fret so you get more on one sheet.

 

Which material and what thickness are you designing for so that you can allow for the cusping effect?

 

Guy

 

PS This feels off-topic, might be worth a separate thread?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Hi Hayley, just looking at this pic and the ends of the slats are radiused and there are 4 bolt heads top and bottom - 797011626_9000790008.JPG.b3fe83e2fd329998a64f24e62901d882.JPG

 

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:



Will add those changes, couldn't find an image clear enough to figure that out.


We've made the changes... Also noticed a few more changes to be made which we will do before we post the final images.

47514572_BachmannClass90HornGrille.jpg.6a7e8190fd55710f3213354130e30dd1.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lyneux said:

Are you just working from photos or have you measured a real one? 
 

I’d place the parts a little closer together if I were you and reduce the width of the fret so you get more on one sheet.

 

Which material and what thickness are you designing for so that you can allow for the cusping effect?

 

Guy

 

PS This feels off-topic, might be worth a separate thread?


- Photos and dimensions of the current etched grille on the Bachmann model.
- The parts are close enough. They are 1.0mm apart. The main fret is 2.5mm.
- It will be done in brass and will be the same thickness as the current grille.
 

- Since very few people have asked for something like this, we're posting here so that they'll see it. It's for the Bachmann Class 90, it's what a few members have expressed interest for in this very thread, therefore I don't see how it's off-topic. Bachmann will eventually do a model with this grille. So it's never going to be something that will sell. 

  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:


- Photos and dimensions of the current etched grille on the Bachmann model.
- The parts are close enough. They are 1.0mm apart. The main fret is 2.5mm.
- It will be done in brass and will be the same thickness as the current grille.
 

- Since very few people have asked for something like this, we're posting here so that they'll see it. It's for the Bachmann Class 90, it's what a few members have expressed interest for in this very thread, therefore I don't see how it's off-topic. Bachmann will eventually do a model with this grille. So it's never going to be something that will sell. 

I agree, not off topic at all.

 

Good luck with this, nice to see such a thing being looked at!

 

Chris

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

 


We've made the changes... Also noticed a few more changes to be made which we will do before we post the final images.

47514572_BachmannClass90HornGrille.jpg.6a7e8190fd55710f3213354130e30dd1.jpg


is this a close enough close up..

7DBBDDFD-A8EA-42DF-BEEF-7E41E12D023E.jpeg.2ab59a9651ea283b701a82b44370461b.jpeg

it looks like the centre triangle should be a little fatter and shorter, maybe a minor adjustment to the angle.

 

i’d be up for a set, i’m doing 90001, which currently has these.
If @Squirrel Rail was to do a few GA 90’s i’d be interested too !

 

Whilst Bachmann may do it, theres plenty of others they could explore without doing it, as theres still others on shelves, there may be a wait.

 

 

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.