OO gauge Raven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive

DJM Dave

I don't share Simon's caution about DJ Models as although no samples of the DJ range are to hand, Dave Jones has delivered on the business ethos he announced at the beginning, by maintaining a timeline of the products starting with their announcement and through production stages. He has updated us with the R&D on the previously announced 5 models in 3 gauges and we know that currently, tooling is being cut on 3 'N' gauge (J94; Class 17 and Class 23) and 1 'OO' gauge (J94) models and we should start to see these soon. He has not been satisfied with the quality of Chinese made circuit boards, probably from his experiences with Dapol and has decided to have boards designed in the UK and made in Japan, to improve reliability. I don't know of any other mainstream model maker that has taken that step. As has already been said, we have seen his work to EP stage with the Kernow Class O2, where in a few short months of Dave taking over the project, we were seeing the complex tooling that had been cut for all the variants and last month we saw the first EP sample and in a matter of a couple of weeks, the first running detailed sample.

I have never met Dave, but from his interactions with members of this forum, both with Dapol and DJ Models, I judge him to be a person of great integrity and with a desire to deliver to satisfy the customer. To my mind he has shown a history of model making to warrant our belief in him.

Hi Dave,

Excellent news.  I will definitely be purchasing at least one. 

If its around 2 years away it will give me time to save, not that I need an excuse.  Nothing from Bachmann this year or the last year so this is just what my layout needs and I want. After the disappointment the other day, you have made my day.  A G5 and a J21 will be nice.  These I might build myself next year.

Hope it all goes well in the planning and development for you.

Look forward to seeing it develop.

Mark in OZ

Fantastic choice, a Q6 isn't my first choice but I'll definitely be taking one home with me, so there's another sale made..

How do I find out the dealer network for DJModels or is manufacturer sale only ?

Hi mate,

The stockists that have signed up for accounts so far are listed on the stockists page of my web site.

Not many but it's growing.

Cheers

Dave

I wish you well with this Q6 project, Dave. Something I'd certainly be interested in. Keep the spec nice and straightforward though, these Geordie luggers don't need any fancy bells and whistles!  :)

D.

That's brilliant Dave. Excellent news. I'll certainly be getting one. And remember folks, these things got around quite a bit outside of just the NE area into south Yorkshire and the West Riding.

I'm happy to be disagreed with. I look forward to seeing the first DJ Models appear, and will read their reviews with interest. I have never been afraid to change my views if the evidence points to something different and I sincerely hope this will be one of those occasions.

I think it is a brave choice and I wish Dave good luck in his venture.

I'm happy to be disagreed with. I look forward to seeing the first DJ Models appear, and will read their reviews with interest. I have never been afraid to change my views if the evidence points to something different and I sincerely hope this will be one of those occasions.

I think it is a brave choice and I wish Dave good luck in his venture.

Hi Mate,

Like I said earlier, your being prudent and are right to be cautious. It's up to me to prove to you!

Believe me, I'll do my damnedest. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7D-W-QW-8

Now that's how to make an announcement...and I wish Dave the very best with this project...a truly simple, rugged and handsome locomotive that could be found anywhere from Doncaster to Edinburgh and from Manchester to Hull.  Go on Dave, make us a super model, design in the ability to convert to EM and P4 and then sell them by the shed load...I hope your watching over at Bachmann towers...watch, learn and lament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7D-W-QW-8

Now that's how to make an announcement...and I wish Dave the very best with this project...a truly simple, rugged and handsome locomotive that could be found anywhere from Doncaster to Edinburgh and from Manchester to Hull.  Go on Dave, make us a super model, design in the ability to convert to EM and P4 and then sell them by the shed load...I hope your watching over at Bachmann towers...watch, learn and lament.

Calm down Duncan. Just think of how many new wagons you are going to have to build to go behind them. Hang on, that's the icing on the cake...

Mike

Good luck, I hope it comes off and that railway modelling is the winner at the end of it all.

Agreed, but you still get a "disagree".

No explanation about it only applying to part of the post. 

Only problem I can see with the idea is that there is no mention of a J27 to go with it.

Bernard

Might the Croft Depot extension need extending?...

The 'Gainsborough wing' will just about accommodate a Q6...but not much more mind!

(thanks to Porcy Maine for use of his photo)

post-7975-0-01456200-1406140084_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, but you still get a "disagree".

No explanation about it only applying to part of the post. 

Only problem I can see with the idea is that there is no mention of a J27 to go with it.

Bernard

Please........................................lets not see another thread about exciting new models desend into an endless discussion about the 'disagree' button :banghead:

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Excellent news about the Q6. Will be pre-ordering  LNER and BR  examples (one of each). Many thanks for this. Jimmy Nail's 'Big River' song has come straight to my mind here!

All the best,

Market65.

Let me be the first to say

"Nothing to interest me here".  Or something equally goofy: like "My bank manager will be pleased."

(Just because it seems to be obligatory on RMweb product introductory threads that some wet blanket produces such a post to rain on the parade.)

In any case, I'm just kidding ...

Seriously Dave, this is a great choice and will make many NER fans very happy. Where is Mr. 'Black Hat' today anyway?   This should make his day.

I cannot wait to read Black Hat's response to this announcement :good:

My sentiments exactly Mike.

Dave, I wish you every success with it.

Hi Dave,

It's nice to see a NER loco getting its time in the spot light, its a shame I don't model in OO anymore other wise I would have bought three or four of them. How about doing them in 7mm like your J94, you will certainly sell quite a few?

Regards

Chris

That's brilliant Dave. Excellent news. I'll certainly be getting one. And remember folks, these things got around quite a bit outside of just the NE area into south Yorkshire and the West Riding.

These locos were not unknown around the Nottingham area, photos exist of them at Annesley shed, ( I believe they worked south from Selby or Leeds). So no excuse needed, looking forward to seeing one alongside the O1 and O4s on shed!

A great announcement for heavy goods enthusiasts, well done DJ.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

"Holy realistic boiler bands!!!"

I wander off to have a days modelling elsewhere and come back to find a Q6 on the boil.

Bu**er me!!! Great news. I feel a bit for the kit manufacturers but I think a RTR Raven has been expected for a while. If there is just a fraction of the cooperation and input on here for the DJM Q6 than there was  for the Dapol Western  then nothing but a top drawer,  exhibition cabinet standard model should result.

Mr Jones I salute you for taking up the challenge. I'm sure that there is plenty on here that will be only too glad to help you achieve your aim.

Porcy

Ps.  Duncan.... you do realise we going to be going some to get just a small percentage of our kit stash of Q6's built before this guy gets his in the shops! ( (and I'm not even thinking about all the half built J94's and Austerity tanks)

S'pose I better start budgeting for a couple of RTR examples too.

Have this unusual view of 63395 just to get the juices flowing.

post-508-0-81278000-1406154038_thumb.jpg

Don't forget those dents in the tender Dave.

Having just completed J27 and J21 kits in the last year, I was amazed that the Bachmann announcements did not include either of them!

When Bachmann did not announce a Q6 either, I felt safe in ordering a Markits Q6 wheelset to complete my Chivers kit and it is in the mail to me now :-)

(However I may still complete my kit before the DJM model arrives...)

Best of luck Dave with your new models - I am sure they will be good sellers.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

Might the Croft Depot extension need extending?...

The 'Gainsborough wing' will just about accommodate a Q6...but not much more mind!

Dave & all,

Apologies for the slight digression;

Please allow me an explanation for those wondering what The 'Gainsborough wing' is.

It's a recently completed fiddle yard extension to Axlebox's train set, "Crock Croft Depot". So christened by a rather well known modeller of Bolton.

A picture paints a thousand words...

post-508-0-22866700-1406159709.jpg

but we do take our modelling seriously...  Occasionally...

Apologies once again.

P

Lets Just say another Aussie will be buying at least 1, may be 2 (I wonder if I can resist the NER version) Of the LNER versions. I hope it compares well with the Dave Bradwell I have been mucking around with for 3 years! (brake gear and painting to the wheels to go) I hope that it lives up to your expectations and everyone else's. 

It is a brave move to start a business but with the support that you will receive from picking the more interesting items from the wish list we all have to be extremely happy. 

Archived