Frampton - 1980's P4 18:83 Challenge Layout

Bristol_Rich

Lydney Exhibition Completed and layout packed away.

All bar a point blade coming free of its solder joint, the layout ran absolutely trouble free.  During the quiet spells I managed to grab a couple of quick (poor quality) shots with my iPhone so quality is poor but at least if nothing else it records its 10th Anniversary!

post-6957-0-36004100-1411923995.jpg

post-6957-0-92204300-1411923996.jpg

post-6957-0-44727800-1411923998.jpg

post-6957-0-73457500-1411923999.jpg

post-6957-0-51343200-1411924001.jpg

post-6957-0-03209200-1411924003.jpg

post-6957-0-58192900-1411924006.jpg

Liddy...good to see meet again and hoping to get the Swedish stuff on the go again...soon!

10years of operating the layout at exhibitions I have learnt to...

• Consider your layout name wisely.  I don't know how many times I have been asked..."Frampton is that a real place?"..."Is this based on Frampton on Severn/ Cottrell/ Mansell?"...
  • not under estimate the amount of weight into wagons.  Only by now have I think every wagon has the right amount in it...
  • Keep it simple...build in redundancy...
  • Chat to the punters...
Edited by rich_eason
  • Like 14

• 4 months later...

In preparation of Frampton's next outing at the Monmouth exhibition I've been rummaging getting some bits up together.  

Stumbling across the stock boxes it would appear that the Lydney exhibition took its toll on some of the wagons possibly through transporting home - minor paint damage, loose/missing parts or wagons generally looking a bit "unkempt".

So here we have the Frampton wagon repair shop.   Each wagon is in for some minor surgery of some kind or another and in need of a bit of TLC. The repair schedule is as follows...

post-6957-0-26644200-1422554118_thumb.jpg

Parkside Vanwide - Additional roof detail

Parkside 12t Ventilated Van - Additional Roof Detail

Bachmann Planked 12t Ventilated Van - couplings and vac pipes (to be added)

Parkside Grampus (Black) - Wagon load to be weathered down a little

Parkside Grampus - Load to be replaced...it looks like storing in the garage the ambient moisture has got to it?

Cambrian Dogfish - As above re load plus broken W iron repair and touch up paint and weathering

Red Panda Sand Wagon - Broken buffer plus I'm not happy with the load (as above)...thinking this might end up sheeted.

Scratchbuild Flask Wagon - Addition of accurate buffers

Scratchbuilt/ Britannia Models(?) Inspection Saloon - touching up of paint.

• Like 3

So minor wagon repairs now completed, paint work touched up and weathered the rolling stock is up together and ready for the weekend. 

Next job is to give the track a thorough clean and patch in any loose or missing scenics, final electrical test and pack up!

post-6957-0-06023700-1423074216.jpg

post-6957-0-16526000-1423074220.jpg

post-6957-0-16559600-1423074224.jpg

post-6957-0-20871800-1423074231.jpg

post-6957-0-69581100-1423074238.jpg

post-6957-0-89332500-1423074249.jpg

post-6957-0-75620900-1423074252.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks very much for sharing. What a fantastic little layout, right up my street and a fantastic standard of modelling.

Interesting trackplan too. If you don't mind me asking, how do you find the layout to operate? Do you use a sequence/schedule or just shuffle wagons as you want?

Many thanks,

David

Monmouth Exhibition complete.  

Actually feeling pretty tired as it was quite a busy show and the legs and feet are aching! The layout took some time to warm up (it had been stored in the car in the garage the night before) but once up to temp operated without hitch only requiring the usual mid session track clean required but other wise nothing untoward.  All packed away, into the car and on the road in 15mins, home for tea within an hour.

Met a fair few RMWebbers was always good to talk as always. :locomotive:

Thanks very much for sharing. What a fantastic little layout, right up my street and a fantastic standard of modelling.

Interesting trackplan too. If you don't mind me asking, how do you find the layout to operate? Do you use a sequence/schedule or just shuffle wagons as you want?

Many thanks,

David

David

The operation of the layout is simply to move wagons around the layout, on or off scene.  The dimensions of the various head shunts restrict the movement sufficient that no one siding of wagons can be moved in one complete movement...the larger the loco the more difficult this becomes, the more wagons on the layout the less space there is in which to move.

As to what size loco I usually use an 08, 25 or 33.  Anything larger and things get a bit challenging!

• Like 1

Shame that I couldn't get to Monmouth to see Frampton, as looks great in the photos.

Do you have any more shows planned in the South West ??

At the moment, no. 

We are anticipating an invite to the Lydney Show in September however I would like to think that by then we have enough of the Swedish NG running that I can take that as a demo, or maybe another proj currently being planned.... assuming the alignment of many planets to enable me find some modelling away from the day job!

• Like 1

David

The operation of the layout is simply to move wagons around the layout, on or off scene. The dimensions of the various head shunts restrict the movement sufficient that no one siding of wagons can be moved in one complete movement...the larger the loco the more difficult this becomes, the more wagons on the layout the less space there is in which to move.

As to what size loco I usually use an 08, 25 or 33. Anything larger and things get a bit challenging!

Hi Rich,

thanks for that useful response. As you say, the limited headshunt length will cause some interesting movements and the occasional headache! Building this kind of operational restiction into a layout is an idea I have really though about much but gives an added dimension.

Thanks again and glad the exhibition appearance went well. The advantages of such a small layout are so apparent at the end of a show on a Sunday afternoon... Dismantle, tuck it under the arm and away home!!

This may help explain the movements a little more...

A - Fiddle Yard approximately equal to Siding C

B - Three quarters the total length of Siding C

D - Half the length of Fiddle Yard A and Siding C

E - Half the length of D

E is by the far the smallest headhunt on the layout and can accommodate a Class 25 or 33 max.

post-6957-0-60928900-1423505080.jpg

I totally agree with the packing up! One small box of stock, two halves of layout, two legs and an extension lead!

Edited by rich_eason
  • Like 6

I was delighted to see Frampton at Monmouth at the weekend, I get endless enjoyment out of watching and chatting, I'm always inspired by the atmosphere created by the scenics and those great photos of authentic-looking wagons sitting in quiet, seemingly half-forgotten sidings between moves.

Thank you

Edited by Liddy

This may help explain the movements a little more...

A - Fiddle Yard approximately equal to Siding C

B - Three quarters the total length of Siding C

D - Half the length of Fiddle Yard A and Siding C

E - Half the length of D

E is by the far the smallest headhunt on the layout and can accommodate a Class 25 or 33 max.

post-6957-0-92204300-1411923996.jpg

I totally agree with the packing up! One small box of stock, two halves of layout, two legs and an extension lead!

Hi Rich,

Thanks for that, it is excellent and really does help a lot in visualising how things work. Obviously it has been really well thought through with the restrictions certainly adding to complications in operation. Shows what time taken in the planning process can achieve.

I appreciate the time taken to explain things.

David

Edited by south_tyne

Hi,

I know you used pins to fix the track down, please can we have a little more about the 'how'? Some people talk of cut down bambi staples, but I can't imagine that is consistent enough for appearance, what did you use for track spikes? Presumably you had to drill and glue, I can't imagine 'driving' your spikes. I have ambitions of a light railway and spiked rail seems the lightest option.

Thanks in advance

Liddy

Here is how we have constructed the track on Frampton.  The principles remain the same for both track and turnouts. 

Materials

Sundela board - We used strips of Sundela board on the layout as it provides a suitable medium to push the pins in to and more importantly it holds them in position.

Plywood sleepers - I think we used Scalefour items approx. 1mm thick, suitably stained in a concoction of Indian inks and wood preserves!

Rail - Frampton uses Code 75 NS FB rail but the process works with any flat bottomed rail in any scale.

Track pins - The track pins we use are KB Scale RS01 Rail Spikes and are available through the KB scale site here:

http://www.kbscale.com/track-parts.html

They are preformed with a "head" and have a sharp point to enable pushing into the sub base material and quality wise they are very good and appear hardened and can take some punishment.  I have no idea how many were used on Frampton but in some ways it best not to think about it!

Laying the track 

Part 1

With the Sundela board laid strike a line to represent the centre line of the track.  A flexible curve is useful for drawing any curved section of track.

post-6957-0-54173800-1423898113_thumb.jpg

Part 2

Using a suitable adhesive for you sleepers, stick them into position using the centre line as your reference.

post-6957-0-32982400-1423898112_thumb.jpg

Part 3

Using the centre line as your reference, divide the required gauge in half and measure back this dimension.   This will provide you with your datum rail.

post-6957-0-02563600-1423898111_thumb.jpg

Part 4

Once located, start to insert pins along the outer face of the rail using a pair of flat nosed pliers.  The pins are sharp enough not to require any pre drilling or pilot holes and are strong enough to hold down the rail with the one side pinned in place. Repeat along the inner face of the rail.   

post-6957-0-45906000-1423898109_thumb.jpg

Part 5

Using the now set datum rail, gauge off this to set the opposite rail.  Installation of the pins is the same as before, this time pin down the inside face of the rail first, followed by the outer.

post-6957-0-73913700-1423898107_thumb.jpg

Part 6

With the track now installed the final checks can be made to ensure consistency and accuracy of gauge.  Where minor adjustments are required, these can be made through gently lifting the pin adjusting the rail and reseating the pin back down into place. There is no need to remove the pin fully from its original hole.  The pin will retain a tight hold on the rail.  Very small adjustment can be achieved through gently turning the pin heads in-situ pushing the pin head against the web of the rail.

post-6957-0-49950400-1423898104_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...