Shapeways price change

Just had an email from Shapeways saying they are changing the pricing on strong & flexible materials.  You can see what the price of your own designs will be after the change.  Sadly most of my models will be significantly more expensive.

Will be interesting to see how it effects other peoples models.

Simon.

This is interesting. Flipping through a list of designs I have put on there but are not ready to be printed, some are cheaper and some are more expensive. The worst one that comes back is this:

post-14921-0-06367500-1412131823.png

That's over 14 times the price!

I rarely use WSF for my tram bodies because I prefer other materials, but some of the price increases are a bit barmy, A WSF Blackpool Coronation is now 25% dearer in WSF than FUD?

Basically it seems to boil down to if it's not got a hollow space of 4cm x 4cm x 4cm within the print it's classed as solid as they can't print a print within a print to optimize machine use......or something like that anyway, I'll stand corrected if someone has a better description......!.

Where it does win is 7mm prints in general are now a fair bit cheaper as they have a greater hollow internal are allowing other prints inside,

but it does end up with a slightly surreal situation where a 4mm model can be dearer than a 7mm one.

IM might be picking a bit of business for Polymide soon.

Basically it seems to boil down to if it's not got a hollow space of 4cm x 4cm x 4cm within the print it's classed as solid as they can't print a print within a print to optimize machine use......or something like that anyway, I'll stand corrected if someone has a better description......!.

No, you're right.

Although there might be a chance that there is a model in the tray mix that would fit, the chances there is one is quite small and thus it's considered as solid.

The main issue is that SLS material can only be recycled once or twice, so even though the material isn't used, the powder still has to be thrown away after 2 runs.

Some of mine like the WIA bogies will increase in price by a factor of 6 or more

In fact if you want any of the WIAs they order them and the boges before the 7th because the price will quadruple !!!

Most of the coach prices are going to double or treble and the logic appears utterly random (eg the Mark 1 non corridor gets cheaper while an almost identical design of something else trebles in price). There is no useful explanation as to why either
 just a general explanation for 2 year olds and a breakdown that on several models makes no sense at all

The big problem seems to be that they've silently vanished the existing discount for large volumes of material by replacing it with a massive 'machine space' price, so one offs are now about the same price and everything else is massively more.

Having received the email last night, I've just checked my models, shocked by the increase on some of them. Looking at the new prices, you seem to be being hit for models that are difficult to handle (lots of little separate parts) or ones that take up allot of the printing volume when you take the bounding area. There's a link to a more detailed explanation from Shapeways in their email.

As an example to share wit you, I've printed some small bases for some N Brass Loco Catenary masts (50 of them at around 4mm x 4mm x 3mm) which were €5.23, but with the revised prices are €74.64 (Labour €75.00, Volume €0.80, Machine Space €2.47). Quite how that price breakdown adds up to €74.64 escapes me.

Not at all happy about the pricing changes and the extremely short notice given to people who operate shops. If the same changes are applied to FUD, which they must eventually do, that will be the end of 3D printing from Shapeways for me.

Cheers, Mark.

Vonzack: the catenary bases I did went down in price. The labour is largely based upon the number of pieces it seems so if you sprue the bases together you might get a sane price. Some of my compartments did the same but the later ones I'd already sprued together only went up slightly.

As far as I can make out for low volumes its  €1.50 * number of shells for WSF and €2 * number of shells for WSF polished. Their pricing tool however is clearly broken because if you have sets of interlocking parts it prices them stupidly even though they are one part for handling.

On the plus side 3D Print UK is now looking cheaper for some items than Shapeways so its helping British manufacturing ;-)

Sadly most of my models will be more expensive especially the 7mm wagons - these have all been designed to be printed in WSF from shapeways.  Most of them wont be economic to get printed  for example the 7mm Polybulk will cost 160 euros to print after the price 'improvements' and I'm not sure many people would pay that for an O gauge wagon.

Polybulk2_zpscc0af567.jpg

Looks like I'll have to get a couple of wagons I've been working on printed before the 7th and then look to see if any other companies can get close to the old Shapeways price.

Overall it looks like most modellers on here using WSF won't be enjoying the price changes.

Most of mine are going down in price, though there are a couple of things that i've got uploaded and private that i've been working on that are getting crazy price increases because of their nature (not a lot of material but spindly frames that eat machine space apparently).

Fortunately, those items were more mucking about than anything serious, so i'm not going to get too bent out of shape over them.  Since most of my stuff is designed for FUD for the better surface finish, i'd be much more annoyed if they did something similar there as i think i'd be at a much higher risk of having massive price jumps.

Stephen

Fortunately, those items were more mucking about than anything serious, so i'm not going to get too bent out of shape over them.  Since most of my stuff is designed for FUD for the better surface finish, i'd be much more annoyed if they did something similar there as i think i'd be at a much higher risk of having massive price jumps.

Hopefully Shapeways' very competitive FUD costs will not have to be adjusted due to the different 'print' methods used, not relying on lots of expensive powder being thrown away? (probably a gross simplification....)

The WSF prices have come at a worrying time as I was about to get a price for my Arley station building, designed for WSF. See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/351/entry-14854-another-quick-update-arley-in-3d/

I uploaded it tonight and, to my relief, it came out at around 40 Euros at current prices and around 50 Euros after the 7th. So not a big problem, those two figures were about the 'ballpark' I was after. The cost could be reduced quite a bit by slimming down the walls from 1.2mm to nearer the minimum 0.7, but I want the building to be reasonably robust.

The building is a hollow shell with minimal internal structure, so presumably Shapeways imagine printing something inside it.

For info, here are the vital stats for a small N gauge station building:

ORIENTED BOUNDS

(in) 2.26x 2.333x 6.744h
(cm) 5.74x 5.926x 17.13h
Material Volume 27.9037cm3
Machine Space 191.0961cm3
Density 4.79%

To get a price breakdown on the polybulk the picture below show some details-

labour                    7.50 euro

Material volume   16.09 euro

Machine space  129.51 euro

Total cost           146.09 euro (for some reason these don't add up?)

Obviously the size is the killer for this model but then a 7mm Polybulk is a big wagon.  Shapeways suggest 'making it smaller' to reduce costs.  But then it wouldn't be O gauge !!!!

Polybulkprice_zps6c346948.jpg

Someone has done the poking around: basically it seems to come out as

If your model is a single item and higher than 19% density it gets cheaper *IF* you didn't qualify for material volume discount. As the parts go up the %age goes through the roof.

If you get the material volume discount the density is way higher. So it seems to me the "cheaper" only applies to solid blobs (usually a sign of bad design) and a small class of objects where you can print things together tightly packed. Eg it's near enough free now to print other objects *inside* a coach shell providing you sprue them to it. Of course that completely screws polishing. That's one of the oddities that was puzzling me about price shifts that now makes sense - coaches with interiors changed price much less than those with add on interiors.

I need to play with the packing model they use a bit more - it's not clear for example if it correctly handles big objects with lumps each end and a big space someone else could use between them (ie coaches). If so I need to put all the roofs under the floors instead of on top. Fortunately most coaches are built by a software tool so in most cases I can 'recompile' the coaches this way up if it helps.

Meanwhile my basket is rather loaded - I think Shapeways print queues are going to go through the roof in a few days time... serves them right for 7 days notice ;-)

To get a price breakdown on the polybulk the picture below show some details-

labour                    7.50 euro

Material volume   16.09 euro

Machine space  129.51 euro

Total cost           146.09 euro (for some reason these don't add up?)

Obviously the size is the killer for this model but then a 7mm Polybulk is a big wagon.  Shapeways suggest 'making it smaller' to reduce costs.  But then it wouldn't be O gauge !!!!

Polybulkprice_zps6c346948.jpg

In short, your model is f*cked because there is no possibility of other models being placed inside this cylinder shape.

Because of this the cylinder is calculated as a solid piece for the machine space and thus really high.

Note that SLS powder can only be recycled once or twice.

So even though we don't use the powder inside the cylinder, it can only be re-used once or twice and thus is considered in the pricing.

What you could you is splitting the cylinder in 2 halves. (will require you to assemble it upon arrival) this way models can be placed inside the parts and the price will go down!

Mitch

I have very few items in my Shapeways shop that have come down in price. Some have tenfold plus increases in price. The killer to me has been the fact that they now charge $1.50 per part. I loaded up a set of model windows and put them on a loop plastic as per the picture below. This is preferable to a sprue, because there is no attachment to the model to make good. The saving on the new Shapeways price is $28.50.

post-18634-0-09493100-1412245455.jpg

Even with this modification, the twenty windows are about 50% more expensive than the existing price.

I have been designing items for my Shapeways store that make the most of the existing Shapeways pricing model. Most of these will become commercially non-viable as of October 7. I need to get my brain around the new pricing model and retune my design direction. I also need to find an alternative to Shapeways.

• RMweb Gold

This seems a bit under handed to me they obvious been making a profit or they would have done this before now. It seems they have come to the conclusion that the have enough of a client base and come up with this to just to make more money. A bit unfair I would say I can only hope other companies are out there with a more reasonable pricing policy.

Agreed, underhanded:-

The changes are touted as big price reductions, yet the majority are actually price increases.

When they go "Public" with such doubletalk, how are we then to explain price increases to

customers?

I confirm most of my WSF is up 20%.

Collating items on a drawing is $1.50 an item, so get making sprues of everything!

REMEMBER - 10% off on eBay prices, when direct from me.

Noel

Archived