Class 07 Diesel

rembrow

• RMweb Gold

My SF 07 uses the original Mainline 03 chassis ( a non limping one so far!), with the rods cut down and jackshafts removed, as suggested. A friend did it for me. Would have done it myself, but he was looking for a project (no kids= time to do stuff like that!)

• RMweb Premium

My SF 07 uses the original Mainline 03 chassis ( a non limping one so far!), with the rods cut down and jackshafts removed, as suggested. A friend did it for me. Would have done it myself, but he was looking for a project (no kids= time to do stuff like that!)

Sounds good, any chance of a photo?

Sounds good, any chance of a photo?

Hi,

If you look back through the 'new content' list you will find a thread I started earlier this year on the 07 with photos of my SF/ 03 chassis loco.

Also on there is several photos of a Craftsman Models version built by our very own Andy Y.

As i.m not sure how to add a link to that thread perhaps Andy might be prepared to put one in.......... Andy ?.

Regards

Craftsman did a lovely etched 07...probably still do, makes up into a fine model.

Has anyone else realised that an 07 chassis would be a great base for PWM650-4?

Edited by JeffP

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simon.exd

DJM has mentioned it twice over the last couple of months, which is a bit naughty really.

Cheers

Shane

Djm are all talk, stirring up the froth.. all smoke but no fire..

A company made up of dreamers...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An 07 could sell more than you think. Quite a few went into industrial use so there's scope there, and it is a nicely proportioned loco.

I thought they looked best in Green with the carriage logo on the cabside.

Edited by Hector
  • Like 1

An 07 could sell more than you think. Quite a few went into industrial use so there's scope there, and it is a nicely proportioned loco.

I thought they looked best in Green with the carriage logo on the cabside.

There's still is one in industrial use and doing a cracking job of it too with a close relative

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sparrowhawk7/14295707279/

Edited by 25901
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally, some more progress on my 07 made from a Silver Fox kit.  To recap, I had painted it, but then decided to remove the moulded handrails and replace them with wire.  The wire handrails are now on, but I've had to repaint much of it.  To be honest, I've made a bit of a mess of the painting (old paints, too thick or too thin), but at least I've done it.  I've also made new mountings for the Bachmann 03 chassis as the latest one is not a direct fit.  The next task is to source transfers for numbers, data panels and double arrows, any suggestions please?   They look as if they will need to be a bit smaller than usual.

post-19248-0-33848900-1431511400.jpg

post-19248-0-69411900-1431511437.jpg

post-19248-0-35351800-1431511456.jpg

post-19248-0-68014500-1431511475.jpg

While I'm not happy with the standard of finish, plus my chassis does not run well (it keeps sticking and is currently running on my rolling road to try and ease the problem), I will complete the model.  I have enjoyed building it and could well be tempted to build another one, using the experience to produce a much better job.

ColinK

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So my 07 is finally finished.  The rattle can of Humbrol Matt varnish worked fine. Here it is on my layout.

post-19248-0-65080800-1434228274.jpg

post-19248-0-26128900-1434228298.jpg

I do have a DCC decoder for it, but I will not be fitting it until I've sorted how it runs; it still locks up too often to be of any use.  Thanks to everyone who has contributed to that discussion on another thread.

So, what have I learnt from building my 07.

First - I did it, I have loco which looks like an 07 and I am very pleased that I actually managed to build and paint it.

Second - I made a big mistake by painting it, then deciding to replace the mounded handrails with wire ones.  The new handrails are an improvement, but in fitting them I messed up the paint finish.

Third - my project showed the real benefits of RMweb, whenever I hit problems, someone came along with solutions, advice and encouragement - so thanks to you all, and especially Andy 71Y who has provided me with so much assistance.

Fourth - I know I could make a better job of the Silver Fox 07 kit, I'm actually tempted to get another!

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I have an ex-MMP 7mm one to partly rebuild and finish.

Anyone who wants one in 7mm scale should start bugging Mr Swain at ABS, since it is he who now owns the rights to that kit.