A question for Merf!

I have just bought D336 PHR, a leyland roadrunner crewbus - do you have any records of it?

Andy

You rash thing Andy, I assume that is as well as and not instead of the recovery bus !

My records show a sighting of it at Wellington, which would be in Somerset ? as by them days the one in Salop was firmly in LMR territory.

Photo please when you get a chance, cheers.

Merf.

You rash thing Andy, I assume that is as well as and not instead of the recovery bus !

My records show a sighting of it at Wellington, which would be in Somerset ? as by them days the one in Salop was firmly in LMR territory.

Photo please when you get a chance, cheers.

Merf.

Wellington, Somerset, sounds about right. I recognise that registration, I think that must have been one of the regular vehicles around this area.

Andy - is it a standard one, or does it have a longer body than usual?

Edited by Pugsley

Reading Andy's Sherpa anecdote got me thinking.

These days, fleet support seems to be a white transit with operator branding on the side, eg FGW. Presumably early 90s it'd be a yellow transit or Sherpa with BR lettering on the side?

I'll get my photos of the FGW transits on here when I can, too.

Thanks!

jo

Mystery solved ? The screen grab (which I havn't mastered yet) shows it to be D 84## , not DB so it is a Bedford OSS tractor unit of the Western Region, the trailer in front with container is Eastern Region, HT #### E.

Phil's mention of the Scarab and Bedford cabs is shown below. The rear , roof and windscreen area are the same. Doors completley different due to the wheel arches on the Beddie. Copyright, B R Magazine. p s It's in Liverpool

post-1625-059242700 1292243020_thumb.jpg

*********SEEKING HELP Any idea ? which Railway Magazine Publication, the COLES, Tyneside Central Freight Depot Photograph FIRST appeared in ? 13th December post 2010 refers Thank You..........ORANGE

HELP. Any idea where the COLES ? Photograph, POST 13th DECEMBER 2010 REFERS,... ***TYNESIDE CENTRAL FREIGHT DEPOT, (Felling) GATESHEAD............Scammel plus two other Railway Motors and 7 Railway Staff ****FIRST appeared in ?. Which Magazine ? (Railway or otherwise) Thank you for your time and patience. .....Orange.

Reading Andy's Sherpa anecdote got me thinking.

These days, fleet support seems to be a white transit with operator branding on the side, eg FGW. Presumably early 90s it'd be a yellow transit or Sherpa with BR lettering on the side?

I'll get my photos of the FGW transits on here when I can, too.

Thanks!

jo

Round here the Sherpa 400 was the common beast, Transits a bit rarer.

Merf.

• Like 1

Hi Jo,

Our sherpa was a freight rover 200 with the standard roof and no side doors, it was yellow and had network southeast branding from new, and was maintained in its later years by brian currie daf in Aylesbury. It got sold and we had a succession of hired vans upon privatisation , and eventually leased some transits with CR branding. The sherpa was abused to hell and was bullet proof right until the end!

Old oak had another one E246 AMW, I think Merf said it went to ameys.

Andy

Edited by andye
  • Like 1

Wellington, Somerset, sounds about right. I recognise that registration, I think that must have been one of the regular vehicles around this area.

Andy - is it a standard one, or does it have a longer body than usual?

martin, its a standard length crew bus, 1987 leyland roadrunner chassis. Its currently white, but according to VRM was yellow, which would be right..

Merf I should be collecting it tuesday eve from crewe, will get some pics when its daylight. So far I know it went from BR to the Police, then as a first aid unit, then finally a sort of camper. I will keep the re railing one as its more unusual and interest me, besides, I have already spent a lot on it. The white one may be for spares, it has some of the right internal fittings that mine is missing. I may just swap some bits and sell it on, but if its good, it will be difficult not to restore it! Must have more self control ....

Andy

I have attached some pictures of my new crewbus, D336 PHR. I Drove it back from crewe this week, and today and have a good look over it, and virtually filled a skip with the junk the last owner left in it!

According to the note left on the sunvisor, it was with exeter signal gang from new until 1997, mostly driven by "Rob" who liked it - so ten years with BR then Amey. It then got sold to The band of the devon and cornwall constabulary in 1997, and gained a trailer and towbar. The in 2005 the police gifted it to THATCH - Teignbridge Humanitarian Aid to Chernobyl , paper work suggest it went to near there, that must have been tedious! After that it had a couple of camping type owners and didnt do much......

Over christmas I `ll try and get some pics of bothe of them together, but that will be a challenge!

post-12679-0-75657000-1353260521_thumb.jpg

post-12679-0-99188800-1353260579_thumb.jpg

post-12679-0-44658400-1353260904_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Andy

nice one, But i think you need to give me your yellow to look after......I can return it to what is was designed for too, carrying MFD rerailing equipment....lol.

One day I will find the right truck for me, and still trying to find that illusive BRUFF, or at least one where there is more metal than corrosion!

Cheers

Ringo

Hi Ringo, The yellow one is very much going to be kept, this white one will donate its cooker, water heater and most of the cab fititngs. I am a tad retentive and it has to have the right bits in it! I am even bidding on ebay for a 1993 copy of the sun, to leave on the dash!

There are some bruffs out there, i would just make random contact and ask to buy, you never know what the answer might be !

Andy

Never mind a Bedford HA van in yellow.........I want one of these!

post-303-0-29502700-1353275314.jpg

Chers

Ringo

(picture copyright SDi Franco)

That daft but I like it!

Talking of daft, most of you must remember this:

London Transport Travelcard Promotional Bus Tube Train

but was it preserved and still around? I remember seeing it at open days yonks ago!

Andy