post-303-0-61553400-1344464331_thumb.jpg

Went to look at the BRUFF which is potentially up for grabs today, Oh dear, one very sick BRUFF, Ok it has still goy all of its equipment, such as the rail wheels turntable etc, but the cab unit is completely shot, no steering, and loads of bits missing, its been sat there for about 15 years so is probaly siezed solid, also notice the huge holes in the roof!

Cheers

ringopost-303-0-40526700-1344464443_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-61553400-1344464331_thumb.jpg

Went to look at the BRUFF which is potentially up for grabs today, Oh dear, one very sick BRUFF, Ok it has still goy all of its equipment, such as the rail wheels turntable etc, but the cab unit is completely shot, no steering, and loads of bits missing, its been sat there for about 15 years so is probaly siezed solid, also notice the huge holes in the roof!

Cheers

ringopost-303-0-40526700-1344464443_thumb.jpg

Thats easy, get the one from Rush green motors, and use the cab, most of its internal fittings were there, just need a method to swap the cabs, what was the rest of it like? Go on, buy it, its a bit of history!

picture of the better one attached,

Andy

post-12679-0-69807100-1344634469_thumb.jpg

Andy,

as much as want one , its just too much, the Eastleigh one has stood for over 15 years, and it had to be roaded to where it is now because it was knackered then! Remember the one at Eastleigh is the original prototype one, so there are differences between that one and the rest of them.

Swapping the cab over is no easy feat, as who would do it, and then I would have to buy effectively two BRUFFS and the charges for movement on a low loader, at this time I cannot justify it, as much as I want one I have to look at the scale of economics and practicality

If you look at that picture at Rush Green, note the hole in the roof above the windscreen / drivers door, that means that water has been leaking in and down the "A" post, which will mean that the cab floor is probally rotton, and as the roof lining is still in place, so you cant see how bad the roof is above it.

I know where there are a couple more, and I have my feelers out for those too, I will get one one day, but alas not the Eastleigh one, if I could find out who got the one from the Wendsleydale railway, earlier this year, that would be a better proposition, and reconvert that back to a box on the back, and sell the HIAB off it to fund the box off the one at Rush Green.....although I dont know where that one went to? Or where did the pair from Hornsey go, they were both in working condition, again I dont know were they ended up either.

Cheers

Ringo

Edited by ringo

Andy,

as much as want one , its just too much, the Eastleigh one has stood for over 15 years, and it had to be roaded to where it is now because it was knackered then! Remember the one at Eastleigh is the original prototype one, so there are differences between that one and the rest of them.

Swapping the cab over is no easy feat, as who would do it, and then I would have to buy effectively two BRUFFS and the charges for movement on a low loader, at this time I cannot justify it, as much as I want one I have to look at the scale of economics and practicality

If you look at that picture at Rush Green, note the hole in the roof above the windscreen / drivers door, that means that water has been leaking in and down the "A" post, which will mean that the cab floor is probally rotton, and as the roof lining is still in place, so you cant see how bad the roof is above it.

I know where there are a couple more, and I have my feelers out for those too, I will get one one day, but alas not the Eastleigh one, if I could find out who got the one from the Wendsleydale railway, earlier this year, that would be a better proposition, and reconvert that back to a box on the back, and sell the HIAB off it to fund the box off the one at Rush Green.....although I dont know where that one went to? Or where did the pair from Hornsey go, they were both in working condition, again I dont know were they ended up either.

Cheers

Ringo

Ringo

Good luck with your quest to find one of the decent ones. I didn't know that Wensleydale or Hornsey had disposed of theirs.

Went to the East Lancs yesterday but found thier museum closed (too late) Outside was one of the ex BR Coles cranes, a later one than the Corgi model. I don't suppose anybody knows it's identity ?

post-1625-0-73025800-1344688042.jpg

Merf.

Andy,

Cheers

Ringo

Ringo, I see your point. The corrosion is quite bad, and major panel work would be required. It might be worth finding out if any Bedford or AWD panels are available, but it would need a lot of work to make it work. I have a cab swap to do, and have the luxury of a brand new cab to fit up and then fit, but even thats a nightmare with no suitable facility.

The decision has to have some balance, or it will just end up rotting on your driveway instead!

I looked in the rush green cab, and its fittings were all there and it wasnt too bad, but given the whole in the roof and ten years standing, it will have suffrered, although I didnt look to closely to the one with no windscreen, as it was hard to get to.

As Merf says ref the hornsey ones, I know nothing of those, but the Wensleydale one was sold recently, December 2011 to someone who already has a couple of them. There is a thread on the wnxx forum, I did ask but got told more or less to foxtrot oscar.

Good luck with your serach and keep us all posted, it would be a result to preserve one properly!

Andy

Edited by andye

• RMweb Premium

The Battlefield line has one in preservation (C958YOR) but this now has a dropside body. A recent photograph has appeared on the 'On Track Plant' website but you have to be a member to view other than a thumbnail. The OTP site also has a section for disposals/sales and Bruffs sometimes appear on there.

Ah, if the Battlefield one is now a dropside, and is C958YOR then thats the one from Wendsleydale!

So if thats the case whats he done with the other ones he has, sounds like I need a trip to Battlefield! After all, he has my old toolbox from Tyseley!

Cheers

Im not giving upo on this!

Ringo

Hi all,

When my son worked at the local coachbuilders cab swaps were a regular part of the work. With the recession many firms seem to be hanging on to vehicles that they would have traded in a few years ago. by taking a wagon with a good chassis and motor but a shot cab and vice versa a truck that can be kept working can be built. Like as not with the downturn in business losing the second vehicle may not be a problem as it probably wouldn't be replaced. Just because the programme on E Stobart on the telly shows them going at two years ol doesn't mean they all do. May be worth asking around to see what the going rate is. Just to illustrate the point, the MAN my son drives is now five years ols but jut had a major engine rebuild to keep it going 'for a while yet'.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny-looking beasts, weren't they? I presume the cab nearer the mast was for use when lifting/lowering containers, whilst the other was for longer journeys.

Yes, exactly, dual control. Lasted well that one, the first shot of one in yellow I have seen.

VXR331 was numbered FT 979 D W, new in 1958.

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The first ones had just the one cab behind the lift. The dual cab came about after an accident where they were criticized for the drivers vision being obscured by 'A mass of heavy steel' to quote the magistrate who dealt with the case. Incidently they were made by Shevloke and Drury.