Molasses TTA Tanks

Gazza

Hi all,

As any one got any photos or a drawing of the walkway area on top of the Molasses TTA Tank?

Trying to find what,where the valves and delivery hatch looks like. I have been on various sites go kept a lot info (Paul Bartlett site) but can find any aerial shots of the walk way area

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Gary

Is it blue or black? I had always assumed it was black, but could be wrong.

Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike

Not sure it's a bit of both I have mixed various paints to achieve the colour but have failed miserably. Wasn't sure if any one new what the actual colour was or if any one as an idea what paints are used to mix the right colour

Cheers Garry

Middle band on the tank itself I remember as a darkish blue - I even named the file "yellow and blue", but they were always dirty when I saw them. 

But on this photo I took, Severn Tunnel Junction in 1984, it looks very black, and in Photoshop, the RGB values off the band don't show much bias towards the blue:

post-6971-0-44527800-1420561122.jpg

Hi I did have a look via photoshop as well just thought there were be a BR standard colour that they used for the livery. Just really struggling to get the correct colour for the chassis and centre band of the barrel

Cheers

Garry

Probably not a BR standard colour as it was a PO wagon.

What if you took the blue from the United Molasses logo at 

http://www.umgroup.com/about_business

or

UM trading (which also has a yellowy colour on the word "trading") at

http://www.umgroup.com/divisions/trading

Not a million miles away, with all the weathering?

Edited by eastwestdivide

Hi the issue I have is to try and find a paint or mix of paints to get to the right colour or nearer enough to correct blue/ black. I have used railmatch precision paints humbrol and tamyia paints to try and get the correct colour but no joy I have mixed paints from the same manufacturer but no joy. I'm ok with the yellow it's just the blue / black areas I'm struggling with

Wasn't this centre band some form of rubberized paint that had been applied when the vehicles were used to carry noxious substances, to prevent the build-up of spillage on the tank body? In which case, it was black when new, weathering to dark grey; I worked for a firm that supplied it, and used it to underseal a car...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all

Ready for a bit of weathering next. I think

Hi Gazza,

Do you have a photo showing the end wih the heater tubes?

I'm doing some in N from the society kit but am unsure about how the instructions say to represent them.

Also looking for a photo from above showing the vents and walkways.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2018 at 20:21, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi Gazza,

I'm doing some in N from the society kit but am unsure about how the instructions say to represent them.

Hi

Do these help?

D55D56C5-B9A0-4B3C-A27C-36D6FBE44745.jpeg.1c6f4e376f8b562b8e259b4d94324afe.jpeg

E5FCCBBA-37A0-48B6-91FA-E645C532BB6D.jpeg.074d62f9b52f93450d3ea6f86e135fce.jpeg

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

On 21/03/2018 at 20:21, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi Gazza,

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/procormolasses/e2877cd35

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link - it's reminded me that I still have bits to finish on the models.

There seem to be a variety of walkway used - I'll have to check the wagon numbers and see f they are from different builds/makers.

Phil H

Edited by Scottish Modeller

I didn't actually weather it, I get all my stuff done by Alex Carpenter of ABC Workshops (Lochnagar on RMweb). What I do know is that he only uses acrylics, due to health issues. In the past he has sprayed a light layer then cleaned back and then repeated the process to build up layers of dirt, I wouldn't be surprised if he used that method on this wagon.

Brian, yes they were Caustic Soda originally. This is the only photo I have ever seen of one in original condition:

Colin. They worked from Brierley Hill, Kings Lynn, Peterborough and Greenock (James Watt Dock) to Menstrie near Stirling. There was also a working from Greenock (James Watt Dock) to Inverurie which was booked for one of two ex Texaco TTBs owned by E G Steele.

Edited by Flood
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Flood said:

Brian, yes they were Caustic Soda originally. This is the only photo I have ever seen of one in original condition:

Just sometimes comments on here can make one weep. The link does show the type of wagon that was a donor - but I don't think it became a molasses tank, and it was not the prototype of the model that appears to be being referred to, which was a much more standard 45t TTB. 

Caustic Soda https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatta

United molasses https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/procormolasses

Some of the Caustic soda tanks also became donors for the conversions to UKF Orthophosphoric acid tanks https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ukforthophospacid

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Thanks 1