Aldersgate

George Hudson

• RMweb Gold

A road to connect the bridge leading to the parcels depot with the platform area has appeared. The road surface is a disgrace!

post-6781-0-04307000-1323788492.jpg

post-6781-0-32171300-1323788533.jpg

Hi there.

I love this thread you work with more than card and paper is very very good.

With regard to the state of the road if anything its far to good mate. Back in the day I worked as a courier and the road into Liverpool St red star was far worse than that. You don't have nearly enough pot holes :O :D

Keep up the very fine work mate.

<dribble> Lovely structures.

For further inspiration from urbal layouts check out Geoff Ashdown's layout 'Tower Pier'. It was the subject of a photo shoot during its appearance at ExpoEM back in May 2011 and will appear in the periodicals shortly, according to rumour.

<dribble> Lovely structures.

For further inspiration from urbal layouts check out Geoff Ashdown's layout 'Tower Pier'. It was the subject of a photo shoot during its appearance at ExpoEM back in May 2011 and will appear in the periodicals shortly, according to rumour.

Thanks for the reference, Tower Pier is a great layout.

Some lovely architectural modelling there. Must be nice to have such a looooooong space to work in.

Good luck with your ongoing progress

Ian

I might have to move it back to the UK within the next year and it could be rather challenging to find a long site for it!

• 3 weeks later...

End of year hello (or Hallo if you are in Germany).

I have done little on the layout in the last weeks but I did get around to changing the from drive axel on my Bachmann B1. This seems to have improved running through correcting the tendency of the drive wheels to become "unquartered". Following this I decided to enjoy myself running monstrously long trains around the layout like this 12 coach effort double headed by said B1 and my L1 Here they are emerging from the girder bridge and passing the newest member of the stud, a second hand N2 from ebay. It's a little noisy but runs well: arguably better than both the B1 and the L1! Since the now defunct Britannia has never re emerged from the repairs firm to which it was sent in September, it's about time I had a bit of luck with the motive power!

Happy New Year (Guten Rutsch)

Andrew

post-6781-0-25507100-1325510105.jpg

• Like 10

• 5 months later...

Having moved back to the UK, I am now looking at bringing Aldersgate across too. Unfortunately, I will have to compromise and reduce it in scale. This is a bit heartbreaking but I am sure that there are a number of readers who would think that I should be grateful to have a spare bedroom to house it in any form.

Basically I can only use the middle boards as they are which means that I shall lose about four carriage lengths of platform (still leaving the possibility of squeezing six plus a loco in) and have to put half (the less complex half) of the throat on a curve. I think this could work. In any event, Liverpool Street was itself packed in very tightly so that feel could be maintained.

I have taken some shots of how it would look having improvised with parts of the station existing. I never fixed these permanently which probably reflects the fact that I was sub consciously anticipating this process. Oh well it was good while it lasted to have something 24’ long!

There is another radical alternative which is to dismantle the whole lot and start again with a similar idea but this time representing only the suburban services and perhaps an earlier era where the train lengths could be shorter. I could still recycle the buildings which I have made to date since none are mid 50s themselves.

It will probably take months to move anything so I have plenty of time to mull it over and perhaps assemble some ideas from RMWebbers.

Andrew

post-6781-0-89731000-1339252143.jpg

post-6781-0-64009100-1339252161.jpg

post-6781-0-37217500-1339252175.jpg

post-6781-0-94308400-1339252191.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

First of all welcome home - sez he from France! At least in deepest Essex you are only a trainride from inspiration on the prototype in its current guise. Yes, distressing to have to lose all that space, but 6 plus a loco can still give a very good impression of mainline modelling. The all-suburban option is probably not as much fun. Great and famous though the Jazz was, it's variety that makes a model fun to operate, and an all-Jazz system would be half the variety at best. Hoping you get some good ideas and can make the re-start soonest!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, that kit has always looked strikingly like the warehouses in Devonshire Square.

street view ref (might work) if not type in Devonshire Square London in google street view and go tp the end of the street i.e. the square itself.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&authuser=0&q=Bishopsgate,+London&aq=0&oq=bishopsgate&vps=1&sll=51.887776,0.906115&sspn=0.032103,0.090551&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bishopsgate,+London,+United+Kingdom

Regards

Andrew

Edited by George Hudson

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest, it looks like the only practical solution to fit this into the spare room is to lose 1metre from the station. The main part of the layout if four 1.5m x 0.5m boards; the first of these which is the start of the throat will have to be replaced by a curved throat (36in + radius) to bring the mainline round in a U form to a traverser or sector plate type arrangement. The last board with the buffers will have to become 0.5m from1.5m long, pretty much as is shown in the photos above.

The whole lot is still sitting in Germany and I have a few jobs in the house to do before I can think about moving it across. I am also finding the prospect of cutting the whole thing up pretty unmotivating to say the least and hoping that I could come up with a bright idea before I have to move it. Over time I am reconciling myself from moving from a pretty fantastic space to something more typical for the average enthusiast and looking at the mock up above, it doesn't look too bad.

I will be back on the site when I have something tangible to show which might be just some progress on the buildings which are my major interest.

Andrew

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jonte

All very neat and tidy, Andrew.

Eagerly looking forward to seeing the newer, slightly shortened version of Aldersgate.

Good luck!

Jonte

• Like 2

I promised not to make this a blog but I can't resist relating the experience of coming through the eurotunnel today.  The ladies of the French customs could not understand my explanation of what I had in the back of my car so I had to remove some of the packaging.  They were most amused to be provided with more evidence of the eccentric nature of the British (or perhaps the Germans as I was driving a German registered car).

Andrew 

PS actually there are two layouts in the car, the coffin on the bottom contains Stratham for which there is no layout topic, only a gallery.

post-6781-0-01913900-1366404272_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I promised not to make this a blog but I can't resist relating the experience of coming through the eurotunnel today.  The ladies of the French customs could not understand my explanation of what I had in the back of my car so I had to remove some of the packaging.  They were most amused to be provided with more evidence of the eccentric nature of the British (or perhaps the Germans as I was driving a German registered car).

Andrew 

PS actually there are two layouts in the car, the coffin on the bottom contains Stratham for which there is no layout topic, only a gallery.

Welcome to Colchester. If you fancy a pint, drop me a PM.

• Like 1