Aldersgate

George Hudson

Hi

I thought that would do a quick photo update since I have managed to snatch a few hours and make some progress. As you can see the main tracks are down on the first board and look suitably filthy to represent 80 years of steam operation! Apologies also for the quality of the photos.

I think the scale is right and the station has a suitable level of grandeur even if it is only on a 50cm wide board. Although I am a fan of brickpapers, the jury is out on the paving stones. They might have to become tarmac in the future. This would fit better with the platform profile since I have opted for no lip which would fit better with a later re modeled platform surface.

Andrew

Are the Chocolate Eclairs a soon to be erected advertising hoarding??

Hi

I thought that would do a quick photo update since I have managed to snatch a few hours and make some progress. As you can see the main tracks are down on the first board and look suitably filthy to represent 80 years of steam operation! Apologies also for the quality of the photos.

I think the scale is right and the station has a suitable level of grandeur even if it is only on a 50cm wide board. Although I am a fan of brickpapers, the jury is out on the paving stones. They might have to become tarmac in the future. This would fit better with the platform profile since I have opted for no lip which would fit better with a later re modeled platform surface.

Andrew

Apart from the Chocs, I should have mentioned the fantastic modelling. Makes my efforts seem very puny.

• RMweb Gold

That would be J69 68619, which was painted in GER livery. Superb photo: http://www.flickr.co...don/4951169240/

Yup, my 1961/2 Combined Volume has 68619 underlined - 1 of only 2 J69s that I saw, apparently. I note the flickr poster says "Today, this is all buried under concrete, steel and glass" It is? Are there no trains on this very spot? There were still quite a few last time I was there . Or does he merely mean the station development? Very odd remark.

When they were planning the Liverpool Street update I had a look at the architects drawings on display at the station and they were going to put the preserved J69 on a plynth near platform 11 - I think. Unless my memory is wrong. I suppose they didn't because it was not the original one, anyway............anyone else recall this?

Best, Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Brilliant modelling. However don't forget that you need a Westinghouse fitted L1 to pull a Quint Art. And you can't have a GE section model without a Quint Art.

Roger

Roger,

you are quite right, it's on the wish list. Until then I will have to muddle through with some Bachmann surburban stock.

I have made a little more progress. I have been looking for a convincing way to produce some road bridges to pass over the station throat. I came across a Noch bridge designed to carry a single track railway. Chopped and stretched I think it gives a reasonable imitation of the Norton Folgate bridge at Liverpool street. The plated girder cross section forming the lower part is made in the the "old school" method using thick card salvaged from business presentations. The plates at the bottom have paper strips punctured with an old ball point pen to represent rivetts: the sort of thing my modelling hero Peter Denny would have done!

It just needs some high wooden fences to stop pedestrians falling off the sides and, of course, lots of soot.

Andrew

post-6781-0-93453800-1316525936.jpgpost-6781-0-22055900-1316525952.jpgpost-6781-0-01531900-1316525974.jpg

• Like 8

Just to share a quick idea: I don't know how I came to have three superquick market house kits but rather than waste them I thought I would use them to create a low relief warehouse. The idea was also to get something quick to start filling in the back of the layout.

post-6781-0-01410500-1317207132.jpg

The windows are scalescenes on an overhead slide.

Andrew

• Like 6

Just to share a quick idea: I don't know how I came to have three superquick market house kits but rather than waste them I thought I would use them to create a low relief warehouse. The idea was also to get something quick to start filling in the back of the layout.

post-6781-0-01410500-1317207132.jpg

The windows are scalescenes on an overhead slide.

Andrew

Andy

Great idea, Builtezze also have some sheets (not quite up to your own standards) but with your skills may turn into a good temporary space filler

• Like 1

All my time on Rmweb, and I hadn't noticed your thread....apologies...what a beauty!

Very inspirational, and I love that view from the girder bridge, with the mass of lines running below.

Keep the updates coming ;)

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Another pictorial update from me. I have made another over bridge, quite simple this time, representing the parcels bridge at Liverpool Street before its rebuild. This is a very simple card and foam board construction with a road surface made from a sticky rubberised mat from Noch or one of the continental manufacturers.

post-6781-0-18136500-1319019759.jpg

The road surface will need more distressing and a drain or two but it is coming along (I never seem to finish one building before I start another!).

The sides of the girder bridge inside are made from a strip of paper in which rivets were press by hand with a pencil and the strip then cut into pieces and stuck back on the bridge sides to give it a neglected look. The whole thing is painted with enamel paint which was not thoroughly mixed so that it gave a natural variation as it went on. I just noticed after the photo that the pavement needs to be done again. This is scalescenes pavement but scribed and painted.

post-6781-0-40473200-1319019724.jpg

The last picture is a bit of a teaser since it shows the emerging side of Broadgate Station, the neighbouring station to Aldersgate which I am now working on. It is more inspired by Alexander Palace High level that Broad Street. I have been recording its production and when finished I will post its development on the card building sub forum.

post-6781-0-91315800-1319019744.jpg

If you have been, thanks for watching.

Andrew

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

A short addition to what has become an „occasional series“ regarding the progress of Aldersgate. Despite the recent intrusion of the 1:1 scale world in my modeling activities, I have made some progress on the sister station to Aldersgate: the North London Railway’s terminus “Broadgate”. This owes nothing to the real Broad Street other than its location, tight on the shoulder of its GER rival. It has been more inspired by Alexander Palace and continues the theme of the grandeur of London termini. As ever the whole thing is work in progress but I think it gives a good impression of what <I am trying to do with the project.

Andrew

post-6781-0-06743300-1323161952.jpg

post-6781-0-20876300-1323161972.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

continues the theme of the grandeur of London termini. As ever the whole thing is work in progress but I think it gives a good impression of what I am trying to do with the project.

Grandeur? I should say so! Very few models that I have seen come close to the feeling you seem able to generate, that airy spaciousness that any big trainshed exudes. [it is a shame that air-rights development opportunities seem determined to wipe such places off the map, but preservation orders and listing may help.] WIP it may be, but you have set the scene beyond doubt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1