Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I spent about 4 hours fitting the windows and frames. With the windows fitted, the roof has been fixed in place.

Here's some more pics - though I'll take some more in the light of the kitchen tomorrow!

post-13778-0-09949000-1501186206_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-32591300-1501186264_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-26647700-1501186320_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96348500-1501186380_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-93199500-1501186438_thumb.jpg

And btw, if you're getting sick of seeing me building the goods shed......well, you're stuck with it, as I'm about to build another one. Yes, the same shed..... There IS a reason, so let's see who can guess the answer.

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Stunning work Jeff ..........do I detect 'trains' running or is that class 25 and hoppers just been placed there 'by hand'  for effect......you know what happens when trains start to run ...everything else STOPS !!!!!!!!  :jester:

Cheers Martin.

The Rat did get there under it's own power. I had it going round and round for an hour or so while I got on with the shed. Jason had an unwanted set of EM wheels, so I was quite happy to get the 25 converted. He did it at the Stafford meet - took all of 15 minutes - so it was about time it had a run.

No worries about the trains taking over. Too much layout work to get on with!!

Jeff

I spent about 4 hours fitting the windows and frames. With the windows fitted, the roof has been fixed in place.

Here's some more pics - though I'll take some more in the light of the kitchen tomorrow!

*snip*

And btw, if you're getting sick of seeing me building the goods shed......well, you're stuck with it, as I'm about to build another one. Yes, the same shed..... There IS a reason, so let's see who can guess the answer.

Jeff

KL3

:jester:

• RMweb Gold

well, you're stuck with it, as I'm about to build another one. Yes, the same shed..... There IS a reason, so let's see who can guess the answer.

I know, you're doing one in EM and one in P4!

:D

Al

• RMweb Gold

Looks even better than before Jeff!

Jeff

You've decided to set up a production line to sell them to rmWeb Lunsters?

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As usual, some entertaining replies!

John, I wish I had the eagle-eyesight and finger dexterity to model a shed in N. Funny really, at the moment 3 or 4 of my fingers have lost a good deal of sensitivity due to the effects of superglue on skin. I'll have to be more careful!

The KL3 and EM/P4 comments made me laugh. The prospect of building KL again would be frightening (I do know you're not being serious - are you?) :-) :-)

No production line, Rich....

So - you still haven't guessed the answer...

A clue. It's the same shed but it won't look the same.

And no, it's not G gauge, that I could live inside!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

NSE Pre Cast Concrete, :no:

I think I actually know the answer, but mum's the word. :sungum:

Yes Andy, I think you do. I'll give the answer tomorrow, unless someone guesses correctly in the meantime.

I'm currently adding some more bricks to the end of the office - adjacent to the steps.

I've also made another couple of doors - these are shown in the (grotty) pic, to either side of the main door. The latter has had 20thou inserts added to represent door planking (the diagonal scrapes just about show up). The other 2 doors will get these after a few more bricks go on.

post-13778-0-91948800-1501261687_thumb.jpg

And then it'll be time for a chimney and some "lead" flashing. And then the next goods shed. Heeheehahahahaheehee....as Bodge would say.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice job of the doors Jeff, the diagonal planking looks just right.

Al.

Thanks Al. I just hope the planking grooves are still visible after the doors have been sprayed with plastic primer and had an acrylic coat.

I was going to fit at least one of the doors in a part-open situation, but with the roof on and loading platform in place it's now difficult to get the access I need. So the doors will just be fitted "closed". Hardly worth getting worried about as they are on the side of the shed that can only be seen from the access corner!

But - us modellers.....

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hardly worth getting worried about as they are on the side of the shed that can only be seen from the access corner!

But - us modellers.....

Jeff

You say that Jeff, but for a layout like yours where the rest of us will mostly see it through photographs, you will probably find that some of the best angles contain some of the bits you thought were hidden. :)

I certainly found that to be the case with Bakewell.

Al

• RMweb Premium

You say that Jeff, but for a layout like yours where the rest of us will mostly see it through photographs, you will probably find that some of the best angles contain some of the bits you thought were hidden. :)

I certainly found that to be the case with Bakewell.

Al

That's actually a very good point. Especially as one of my favourite vantage points, and hence a likely place for taking a lot of photos, is in the corner adjacent to the goods yard. Any activity near to the goods shed would be viewed from there.

Bearing that in mind, the doors may have to be fixed in place with a couple of bits of blu-tac, or the like. That would allow them to be removed when there's "action", as a train is unloaded. I was simply going to superglue them, but not now.

In other news, I've started work on goods shed #2. Spent a very enjoyable 90 minutes making good progress.

Here's a reminder of the ply shell for "number 2" (I hope it doesn't turn out poo!! :stinker:  :stinker: ), pic taken on July 16 when I was over at my dad's:

post-13778-0-17184400-1501281925_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Do you inhabit a parallel universe and are producing a symmetrical version of the goods shed?

PS In post #4452 (yes, I do read them..... :scratchhead:), shouldn't the freight have a brake van at the rear?

PSS You building is really the business Jeff.

I was hoping that nobody would spot the missing brake van, Peter! I haven't got round to converting a brake van to EM and tried to position the wagons so the brake would just be out of sight... I failed!

I'll put some pics of the second shed on here later this evening. I'm only just beginning the "scenic" bit on the shed, so don't expect to see much. And I still have other things to finish off on the "old" (#1) goods shed.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ok, you've had your chance to guess what I'm up to with the second goods shed. Time to come clean.

I wasn't convinced that the DAS technique would work on a building, so I decided to build a second ply shell and do the brickwork in a more "conventional" manner. You only have to see the S&C buildings that Edmund (Kinder) has produced, using plastikard, to realise what is possible.

So I'm building the second shed using Wills stone sheets. The interior, roof etc will all be the same as shed #1. When the job is finished - I reckon it'll take me 2-3 weeks - I'll make up my own mind which version I prefer. And you're all invited to pass comment, as usual.

Here's some pics, showing the first stone sheet going onto the ply. The sheet has been cut to allow for quoins and for stonework above the windows.

post-13778-0-96998600-1501345002_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-27673500-1501345060_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-64915100-1501345120_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02172500-1501345184_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-52324700-1501345239_thumb.jpg

More shortly.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The secret to success with Wills is the joining of the sheets. Just wish they'd produce larger ones. Larry "Coachmann" Goddard seems to have found it which apparently is to use plenty of solvent and "melt" the sheets together. I know plastic doesn't actually melt unless heated.

• RMweb Premium

The secret to success with Wills is the joining of the sheets. Just wish they'd produce larger ones. Larry "Coachmann" Goddard seems to have found it which apparently is to use plenty of solvent and "melt" the sheets together. I know plastic doesn't actually melt unless heated.

I rub plenty of Humbrol model filler into the join and let it set rock hard. Then, using a fine sandpaper, I rub around  the area between the sheets. The act of rubbing generates plenty of heat and can fuse the sheets together. Additionally, a little bit of selective re-moulding of the plastic due to the solvent (the solvent dissolves the plastic) in the filler helps to reduce gaps.

I have no idea why Wills won't make larger sheets in their very popular series. PECO have been aware of the demand from modellers for years and don't appear to give a stuff.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An interesting comparison. There's something about the texture of the DAS that works as opposed to the sheets, but on the other hand the sheets look a little less bulky for the scale.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of pics....

The first is of the first 2 sheets glued side-by-side. The second has had a small amount of filler smeared into the joint, allowed to harden for an hour and I've spent at most 5 minutes giving the area a rub down and quick "gouge" with a scalpel. I'll repeat the process tomorrow. Although you can never get rid of the join altogether, it can be minimised so as to be unobtrusive once primed and painted.

post-13778-0-82559400-1501353235_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-25603100-1501353290_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

Looking good that jeff,i used the same wills sheets on one of the bridges on ais gill...

CE85CF99-F1D9-4D0A-8E4D-9DBBBA138DD3_zps

Did you find it difficult to cut? I certainly did! Took a few passes with a sharp craft knife.

You done a good job with it around the smaller parts such as the windows.

Cheers

Ben

• Like 6