Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've always said that KL2 wasn't meant to be a carbon-copy of Kirkby Stephen. I think I'd have made it a direct copy if I'd had another 4' of length to play with, instead of having to compromise the area beyond the goods shed.

Having dug out the Feb 2003 pic for the previous post I decided to get a shot of the layout, as it stands right now, for comparison. So here you are.

post-13778-0-48832700-1518977496_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-48993400-1518977547_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

What sort of signalbox will you plump for Jeff? Hopefully a Midland one, rather than the BR? one at KS.

Hi Peter.

I thought I'd go for a "high-tech" BR 2050s style, as in the pic below. You may remember commenting on this in post #4618 on September 20, 2017 (WHAT? You mean you DON'T remember!!!!?)

post-13778-0-52994700-1518980845_thumb.jpg

Actually, it'll be the good old traditional Midland box.... as you'd expect.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Instantly recognisable as kirkby stephen jeff.

Fantastic work!

The road surface towards the goods yard is very convincing and realistic mate.

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben. The road area is still a work in progress. You won't believe how difficult it is to colour chinchilla sand!!

Jeff

Hi Peter.

I thought I'd go for a "high-tech" BR 2050s style, as in the pic below. You may remember commenting on this in post #4618 on September 20, 2017 (WHAT? You mean you DON'T remember!!!!?)

attachicon.gifIMG_5983.JPG

Actually, it'll be the good old traditional Midland box.... as you'd expect.

Jeff

Good to hear it'll be a MR one.

• RMweb Premium

Some more grot has been applied to the road and the heavy buffer stop. More will be needed, but it's a good 4-6 hour wait before the paint is dry enough for another coat.

I'll probably have a bit of a play in the Bunker tomorrow, and then I'll be turning my attention back to the "alternative" (Wills covered) goods shed. A few days of window making looks on the cards, but that's for later in the week!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've got some weathering paint drying at the moment. Nothing especially scintillating that's worthy of a pic!!

However, I've spent the better part of 2 hours running a class 25, laden with 30 wagons, around different sections of the layout.

I checked the track for running quality when I did the conversion to EM in October/November. But not everything showed itself. I've had the soldering iron out on a 5cm section of turnout that wasn't quite right. Wagons ran fine in one direction, and in both at "speed" (eg. scale 20mph). But shunting some of them at around 5mph highlighted the discrepancy.

I've also identified a problem when shunting a rake of wagons along a curved path (radius about 40"). A few of the wagons' 3 link hooks protrude slightly too far out and stop the buffers engaging properly. So a few modifications there. No problem with forward running, of course, where the couplings are under tension and the buffers well spaced.

All of this is actually quite enjoyable, as it'd be boring if everything worked perfectly!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention. I'm about to make some plastic templates for the goods shed. I'll have plenty to say and show re. this in a few days time - I hope.

I'd normally have tagged that on to the previous post, but looking at some of the rubbish one or two words "posts" that get put on the Forum, sod it.

J.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention. I'm about to make some plastic templates for the goods shed. I'll have plenty to say and show re. this in a few days time - I hope.

I'd normally have tagged that on to the previous post, but looking at some of the rubbish one or two words "posts" that get put on the Forum, sod it.

J.

Great! Super!

I didn't get to where I am today by making one or two word rubbish posts.

(With apologies to Reggie fans.)

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Great! Super!

Are you a graduate of CJ's "Sunshine Desserts School of Railway Modelling"?

Now that dates me a bit, but an all-time classic. Wonder how many of the Lunesters know what I'm ranting about?

(Clue: 50th anniversary of a film where he played a Russian scientist on the Earth-Moon shuttle...)

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great! Super!

I didn't get to where I am today by making one or two word rubbish posts.

(With apologies to Reggie fans.)

You sneaked that in while I was typing! Booo haaaah (almost sound like Bodge)

J.

• RMweb Premium

I've not been in the Bunker so far today. Instead, I've spent a good few hours sketching and planning how I'm going to build the window frames and surrounds for the main station building.

Until I started work on the original KL I'd have been looking for a RTP example to do the job. I never understood the attraction of scratchbuilding stuff. Jim (Aberdare) who contributes stuff on here (hope you and Linda are ok, if you read this) once said "Running trains on the layout isn't the priority; I've enough buildings to construct to last me the rest of my days..." (paraphrased, not a direct quote). Over the last few years I can say I "get it" - trying to think up a viable, simple way to build something is a lot of fun. And your construction has individuality, even if it's sometimes a bit rough on the edges (especially if you can't afford sandpaper....)

So expect a major scratchbuilding "binge", coming soon to a KL2 near you.

Jeff

• Like 3

So expect a major scratchbuilding "binge", coming soon to a KL2 near you.

Jeff

Snap! Last weekend I realised I didn't have anything for the demo table at Glasgow so I sat down at the computer and drew up the goods shed then started the cutting out.

post-10324-0-42138200-1519223991_thumb.jpg

The station building mock-up is also staring me in the face....

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Snap! Last weekend I realised I didn't have anything for the demo table at Glasgow so I sat down at the computer and drew up the goods shed then started the cutting out.

attachicon.gifWharfeside goods shed.jpg

The station building mock-up is also staring me in the face....

Dave.

Great minds, eh, Dave?

Now how have you created your structure? It looks like it's been 3-D printed?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, no it's just 2mm plastic sheet marked through a paper template then scribed, it will be laminated to the correct thickness for the walls. The bridge I did recently was clad with stone sheets but the basic structure was done the same way. I get large sheets of 1,2 and 3mm direct from the manufacturer here in Glasgow so it works out a lot cheaper plus less joins. Incidentally the glue I use is Limoline which is better for laminating though slower to grab but it doesn't warp the plastic buildings.

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, no it's just 2mm plastic sheet marked through a paper template then scribed, it will be laminated to the correct thickness for the walls. The bridge I did recently was clad with stone sheets but the basic structure was done the same way. I get large sheets of 1,2 and 3mm direct from the manufacturer here in Glasgow so it works out a lot cheaper plus less joins. Incidentally the glue I use is Limoline which is better for laminating though slower to grab but it doesn't warp the plastic buildings.

Dave.

Excellent, that sounds like a good way to do it. The simpler the technique, the better - in my humble opinion!

J.

• RMweb Gold

Dave.

Dave

Do you mean limonene and where do you get from? Perhaps Limoline is a trade name. Thanks

Edited by Rowsley17D

Hi Jonathan, yes Limonene and we get it from Wizard Models, Other people do it but whether it's the same stuff or not I don't know, Wizard's is good from experience over several years.

Dave.

Must be thinking of Windolene.......

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan, yes Limonene and we get it from Wizard Models, Other people do it but whether it's the same stuff or not I don't know, Wizard's is good from experience over several years.

Dave.

Must be thinking of Windolene.......

Thanks Dave. As it cannot be posted I'll pick some up at York show. Going Monday. Anybody else?

• RMweb Premium

I just signed in to PM AndyP. So I thought that I might as well report that I've started work on windows for the Wills-clad goods shed.

What a fiddle! The KS shed had windows different to the rest of the line, so nothing easily commercially available. Better to make something yourself than pay silly money for bespoke. Even though what I make won't look as good.

Maybe some pics tomorrow.

Jeff

I just signed in to PM AndyP. So I thought that I might as well report that I've started work on windows for the Wills-clad goods shed.

What a fiddle! The KS shed had windows different to the rest of the line, so nothing easily commercially available. Better to make something yourself than pay silly money for bespoke. Even though what I make won't look as good.

Jeff

The alternative would be to make up a drawing for them to be either made by Shapeways, or cut by someone with a laser cutter?  I tried making the more normal S&C style windows out of many pieces of plastic, and gave up fairly early on.  There is no way that I could make the windows that way- etching looks to be the way ahead for me.  (but LM is all "standard" S&C windows).

It comes down to time vs money- if you have lots of time you don't have to spend much money... (and if you can see them...ha ha !)

James

Jeff

You don't know that until you try, remember you said you couldn't do weathering,  I showed you how to do ONE WAGON, and you did the rest, including your Steam Loco.

post-9335-0-88113800-1519374080_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-81770100-1519374056_thumb.jpg

Not bad for a FIRST ATTEMPT egh! :O in fact bloomin good. :sungum: 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Very kind, Andy. And you're quite right - you may as well have a go at something - no point giving up before you've even started.

Here are some pics of the "Wills" goods shed. I've fitted 7 sets of frames and "glass" into one side. It's taken the best part of 3 hours to do this, and it's a very fiddly job. I'll add some detail onto the glass shortly. Pics when available.

post-13778-0-26939800-1519401470_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-56115600-1519401529_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-92240200-1519401579_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9