West Riding Terminus- Halifax Powell Street

BurscoughCurves

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I’ll get back in my box then!

:-)

Paul.

I remember many in Liverpool in my youth just as you describe - I also remember the posties parking right next to them and so having a very small distance to carry the mail!

• Agree 1

Paul,

I’ve been thinking along the same lines, don’t worry! I have placed it more centrally (before installing the lamp) and it just looked odd. Same story with the phone box.

I tend to drive myself mad with small decisions and have noticed there is a prototype image for most options and this is a good example! 

I’ll continue to tinker before I mount them permanently.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

This feels over critical of such a good scene, but I know that you like to get things right.  All the round Post Boxes that I can remember were mounted near the kerb, door facing inwards.  Square. post mounted, as you have shown, but not round ones.  If someone can direct to a photo like yours, I’ll happily get back in my box and shut up!

Paul.

I must admit, I would've said exactly the same, most if them are closer to the edge.

But, as you dropped the gauntlet the devil in me just couldn't resist :mosking:

• Funny 3

11 hours ago, BurscoughCurves said:

Hi all,

Hope everyone is keeping well in light of the current situation. 

After some scribing and imprinting cobbles in DAS, and a liberal coating of base colour I am almost ready to wire up the street lights and get some grass down. 

Please find a few test images below.

Take care,

Pete

1439520531_Street1.PNG.8510c2c85cbf5677b0d02579500223dd.PNG

Alley_1.PNG.8ae6aa24f405ba72cc84de08fe6106d2.PNG

Rear_1.PNG.ca282bca18c725254e2e63b64d7c3d6a.PNG

Rear_2.PNG.164a0dc62aedc0901ffd959d03d79aa5.PNG

Pete,

Your modelling is fantastic and really captures the atmosphere of a mucky Northern town .

Those gaslamps though.......

Personally I think (because the are working ones?) they look a bit overscale and in my view are not good enough for the rest of the scene.

Not easy for me to have said that, but sometimes less is more.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

But, as you dropped the gauntlet the devil in me just couldn't resist :mosking:

Like you, a challenge like that would send me off scouring the internet for evidence. 

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Pete,

Your modelling is fantastic and really captures the atmosphere of a mucky Northern town .

Those gaslamps though.......

Personally I think (because the are working ones?) they look a bit overscale and in my view are not good enough for the rest of the scene.

Not easy for me to have said that, but sometimes less is more.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, and again- I have had similar thoughts!

I definitely agree, but they will stay whilst I complete the area generally. I have some copper tube and parts from many years ago when I planned to make my own; I have dug these pieces out and will hopefully get around to making some soon. I kept the ‘glass’ pieces from some Modelscene kits for this. 

They are added to the to-do list!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hello,

With regard to post boxes i think the comment that they would be at the kerb edge is correct. The examples shown that contradict this are obviously more modern views The original ones would not be standing on top of recently replaced flag stones. In the rear yard passage views the presence of weeds and grass would be zero due to human activity in those days. Kids playing and the efforts of house proud women who would clean and sweep the ginnel on a daily basis.

trustytrev.:)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete.

Just love those terraces. 

A note on positioning of post boxes. Remember that utilities such as gas, water sewer, electric and telephone were usually placed under the paving closer to the housing.  this influences the positioning of the surface gubbins such as the valves, terminal boxes, phone boxes and indirect objects such as post boxes.

This would apply up the street but as you have placed your surface utilities at the end of the terrace this might not apply as per Mikes post above!

Not a rule of course but might help with the madness of those small decisions. 

Regards Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch
Tea break.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I posted that picture with my tongue somewhat in my cheek!

If anybody ignored the superb modelling on the layout and complained about the positioning of the pillar boxes, if it were left to me they would be taking their gonads home in a carrier bag!

Mike.

• Funny 3

All this talk of post boxes ,a while back I bought a kit of a postman emptying a box duly painted it came out well and looks good on the layout.Cant remember who made it but will look in the shed to find the box it came in. Age getting the better of me!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The N2 looks good; I wondered what paint you used for the handrails?  In the past I've tried using Humbrol Metalcote Polished Steel but found it looks too bright (like in your photos) so I've taken to using Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal instead which while not quite the 'right' colour gives them a bit of a shine whilst not looking garish.  I use the same for bits like step edges and the bottom of cab doors which tend to get scuffed and show as bare metal on the real thing.

I'll be interested too see how your N1 conversion gets on, I might be tempted to do one myself!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 31A said:

The N2 looks good; I wondered what paint you used for the handrails?  In the past I've tried using Humbrol Metalcote Polished Steel but found it looks too bright (like in your photos) so I've taken to using Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal instead which while not quite the 'right' colour gives them a bit of a shine whilst not looking garish.  I use the same for bits like step edges and the bottom of cab doors which tend to get scuffed and show as bare metal on the real thing.

I'll be interested too see how your N1 conversion gets on, I might be tempted to do one myself!

Try 2 parts polished steel to 1 part gunmetal or equal parts metal coat gunmetal and gunmetal #53. You can lighten either with polished aluminium and darken them with gunmetal.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BurscoughCurves said:

Next up, I finally got my airbrush out and tested some techniques on a Hornby N2 that I intend to use to make an N1 at some point in the future. 

It was a guinea pig as I did my first emblem change as practice to convert a number of early emblem into late emblem locos. I then tested out some weathering techniques with the air brush, some powders and real coal.

Before:

1113401410_N2-Before.PNG.c7f613ef5c479822e728fbce7a271bf3.PNG

After:

N2_-_1.PNG.e021a60619bf8a1969a5469c9e258d93.PNG

The silver hand rails look very bright in the images.

N2_-_2.PNG.d55fdd7aeaa00c621af809a317b09589.PNG

N2_-_3.PNG.76f969e20a0bd5fb8e5deb62c175eb97.PNG

It has given me a bit more confidence to move onto the next few locos (the ones that don't need re-numbering). I will likely do these at the weekend whilst I have an extractor set up on my bench.

More soon, stay safe everyone.

Regards,

Pete

Very nice detailing 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 31A said:

Hi 31A,

On the N2 I have used a small amount of powder from an AK Interactive 'Engines and Metal Weathering Set' specifically the 'dark steel' pigment:

AK_Set.PNG.9c0fa48f5ef215f0f1e4effb7aa752ce.PNG

I find the military modellers have some fantastic techniques and are well catered for.

I have also had decent results with the Tamiya 'Silver' in small amounts, and very subtle polished edges from a 'solid' graphite pencil from an art shop. I have also read about people using these pencils to coat their track and act as a conductive layer. I haven't noticed any advantage to this method when I tested it on a siding.

Thanks for all the position comments! 

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Pete, that's interesting.  Yes military modellers do have some interesting techniques, but I've never used powders really.  I suppose it's what I'm used to!  You'd expect a colour called  Dark Steel would be about right wouldn't you.  I have also read of using a graphite pencil to help electrical pick up and tried it myself, but am unable to know whether it worked or not!  It is useful for putting greasy marks on buffer heads, though!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure plenty of others have said - I've enjoyed finding your thread and spending some time reading through the layout development.

What you've achieved with plasticard, glue and paint is astounding. Love the low track level shots of the already imposing retaining wall - topped by huge factories and the mill. Such scale created in such a small physical space.

All that with the attention to detail like the workshop interior, cat on the roof and the cut down posts of the old canopy. Weathering seems spot on all around.

Only 16 pages on here, one of the best layouts I've seen.

• Thanks 1

First class work as we have come to expect, you certainly know how to create a typical grimy railway scene, the Mill area looks great.

On the N2 did you use weathering powders around the coal rails etc to give the appearance of rust?