Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

Bless you chaps!

I have a Cannon GX7 II which is an excellent camera, and I'm learning to use it!

Denton Brook is at Warley this year, which will be fun so it will be nice to have more locos to play with! No both lorries (the Ford and the Bedford) have 1200mAh batteries fitted, so endurance won't be a problem.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

if all goes well, I'm hoping there will be an addition to Denton Brook - but you never know till it works....

44902833502_e30b847514_z.jpg2018-09-27_05-15-16 by giles favell, on Flickr

30014446327_a1c0a2ee7f_c.jpg2018-09-27_05-15-31 by giles favell, on Flickr

The intent is self propelled, fully functioning, radio controlled..... Chassis is done, but untested.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 8

absolutely!  you just need to re-gauge The Yard....

43138836580_cf37630e32_c.jpg2018-09-27_05-14-39 by giles favell, on Flickr

This is driven on one axle only, with lots of lead to bring the centre of gravity down

44951485791_7e86ca3c75_c.jpg2018-09-27_05-14-19 by giles favell, on Flickr

All the pulley sheaves are made, and I've got everything except the hoist motors, which are on their way..... The body will be much more enclosed.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Now fully working - apart from the lack of hoist and Derrick motors - still on the slow boat from China.......

The slew is too fast, and I shall re-motor it to give about 3rpm or so. The travel is lovely, and its balance is pretty good.... 

• Like 9

I am an admirer of your modelling skills. However the sheaves of your steam crane mounted on the roof without any supporting A frame in the cab looks strange.

The roof structure would be light weight / minimal and would not take the shared weight of the jib, without any load on the hook.

Gordon A

Hi Gordon, yes - i'm very aware of that (I design theatre flying systems for  living (amongs other things) and the structural implications of those can be enormous, requiring all sorts of steels to transmit the loads from all sorts of directions!

Once the remaining motors were in, I was considering inserting such a frame as a continuance of the main crane/hoist frame (you can see such things on the google images of some 'un-clad' steam cranes. I suspect an American logging style might have been to stay the return pulleys back to the top of boiler barrel in some instances..... I chose to mount return pulleys so high up in order to get a good mechanical advantage on the jib, rather than the oft-used half-height position.

I do find goods from China are a wonderful benefit - except when they don't arrive - these two motors are rather holding things up!

Best

Giles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a9z0DAQ.jpgThe two flip motors have finally arrived! (the second set I  ordered... not the first..) They'e not brilliant motors, as they start at a 'high' speed, but that's ok for this application. However, they wouldn't do for propulsion.

I spent an hour turning up a couple of drums from brass which are just epoxied onto the output shaft. I now need to mount the blighters into the crane!

https://i.imgur.com/a9z0DAQ.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

i got the hoist motors mounted...... It turns out the gearbox spacers are like hollow stays, and I was able to tap them 10BA without drilling. A mountinng plate was made to hold them in the correct relative positions, and then soldered on to the base frame. The whole lot was then painted matt black.

kgaevhv.jpg

• Like 4

Well, here is a reason to go to Warley!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this!!

Will you be running the Garrett? Hope so!

The crane is a masterpiece!

See you at Warley all being well.

Chris.

Bless you Chris!

Of course the Garratt will be running - it's my favourite loco!!!!  I'm afraid we'll have an over-kill of working cranes, one way and another!

Cannot fault you!!

My Backwoods Garrett in 4mm is a lovely thing!!

When you have it, you flaunt it!!!

C.

The crane now works.... it's easier to drive when you're not trying to video with the other hand...... There's a couple of small details to add, but it's basically there...

Edited by Giles
  • Like 5