Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Nice to meet you and your new loco yesterday at the O Gauge Guild Summer show in Cleckheaton.

The photos of the loco are very good but seeing it in the flesh takes it to a much higher level of appreciation.  I like the swinging bell in the packet of little bits. Will need to sort out the right sound on a DCC sound decoder for it.

Your locos and other makers efforts really are combating those who say there is no great quantities at reasonable prices of RTR O gauge models.  

Thanks for all your great work.

In light of Mr TTG's comment I'll take this opportunity to point out that EDM Models (me) are the exclusive providers or DCC and DCC sound equipped version of the Minerva Models Pecket E class. We are working with Paul Chetter to produce a sound decoder specially for this model and already have the sound recordings in the can.

Like Minerva I am offering a early bird discount on orders for DCC and/or Sound Fitted loco's.

post-2660-0-83717500-1433158545.jpg

I tried to be clever and include an image of the ordering page with a link to it but failed so the link below should take you to the right page

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Minerva/M1.html

The details of the sound install on the loco are still being worked on but it will include sounds for both the loco in industrial use and with the additional trappings of vacuum brake for a preserved engine. There will, of course,  be a selectable bell for those adding that detail part. As with our Fowler sound install this will have a substantial keep alive installed.

Edited by ngtrains.com
  • Like 2

Whilst we are reviewing the engineering prototype, the front sandpipe needs to be re-aligned and did the Pecket E class really only have brakes on the rear axle? No front brakes?

Well spotted!!!

The missing brake shoes/hangers are in the little bag that I waved at folk last weekend. It will also have pull rods which did not make the trip over from China for some reason and a crank underneath the cab linking all this to the brake column.

And the sandpipes will align with the wheels!! Probably better than they did on the prototypes!!!

Chris

Well spotted!!!

The missing brake shoes/hangers are in the little bag that I waved at folk last weekend. It will also have pull rods which did not make the trip over from China for some reason and a crank underneath the cab linking all this to the brake column.

And the sandpipes will align with the wheels!! Probably better than they did on the prototypes!!!

Chris

I recall when working on "Skarloey" (ie Talyllyn) that for a long time there were brakes only on the middle axle. Must have made for some exciting "stops" on the way down the line. I imagine that the guard must have been quite alert for whistle signals from the locomotive crew for stopping power!

Looking forward to seeing this model being made available in Australia. Given the price of local prototypes (short-run kits or limited RTR Brass) I think that little industrials with that sort of price tag will prove quite popular.

I don't wish to intrude on the general euphoria surrounding this model but I'm curious about the wheels.  As one writer put it "Some of the constructional features of Peckett locos are of interest; for example, the slavish devotion to "H" section wheel spokes".  In fact I think they were more of a solid rectangular section rather than "H" section, but they did have a distinctive flat front face, as depicted in these examples of E Class locos: 

post-14569-0-34655700-1433254931.jpg

P 1009

post-14569-0-85721000-1433255206.jpg

P 1351

post-14569-0-40218400-1433254934.jpg

P 1464

post-14569-0-66539700-1433254936_thumb.jpg

P 1465

However those shown on the pilot model have a rounded shape, i.e. oval section spokes.

post-14569-0-86174700-1433254937.jpg

Presumably some examples might have had oval section spokes as on the model and I'm wondering therefore on which particular Class 'E' locomotive (or locomotives) the model was based ?

Edited by PGH
  • Like 2

Well spotted PGH!  Must admit that had passed me well and truly by.

I hope it is not too late to amend the wheel design - I'd much prefer to wait a bit longer for the correct profile (now I know..… :declare: ).

The balance pipe is part of the lower boiler casting instead of being a separate pipe. If it's not possible to have it as a separate element - would it be possible to have it a bit more pronounced (in reality of course it has a bit of a gap behind it anyway) so it doesn't get 'lost'?

This may not be possible due to keeping the price down I quite realise...... But if you don't ask - you don't get!!!

Meanwhile - thanks for all this!

Guest Isambarduk

If we are allowed suggestions for minor amendments/corrections: on most photographs of E Class locos that I have seen where the drawplate (ie the strengthening plate on the buffer plank where the drawhook passes through) is visible, it is oval whereas the first EP from Minerva has them rectangular.  Perhaps the prototype that was used as the 'model' for this production has rectangular drawplates today, for example Lion, or one in later days:

post-5366-0-35208300-1426059229_thumb.jp
A reposting of an image posted by Daifly in post No. 96

David

Edited by Isambarduk

I'm fairly certain that pre-production models on display are done so firstly for marketing, to prove to the public that these things are under serious development, but secondly also so that people with intimate knowledge of the prototype can review the pre-production model to help the manufacturers put a quality product onto the market.

A few detail changes to be made, but that is only to be expected. The biggest problem at the moment is the wheel design with those semi-circular cut-outs in the tyres. Not sure why the factory did that!

A few detail changes to be made, but that is only to be expected. The biggest problem at the moment is the wheel design with those semi-circular cut-outs in the tyres. Not sure why the factory did that!

We have been in touch with the factory, and the cutouts in the tyre will disappear on production models. And we are not sure why they did that either!!!!!

Re the wheels. Attached is a poor photo of a Peckett 'Sandal' showing that not all wheels were square in section and so it appears that the spoke shape varied for some reason. We also agonised for some time about the number of spokes, this varying both on photographs and in published drawings. In the end we went for 11, but wheels of the same size also existed with 10 and 12 spokes. .

Chris

post-9867-0-16643300-1433434034.jpg

• Like 2

If we are allowed suggestions for minor amendments/corrections: on most photographs of E Class locos that I have seen where the drawplate (ie the strengthening plate on the buffer plank where the drawhook passes through) is visible, it is oval whereas the first EP from Minerva has them rectangular.  Perhaps the prototype that was used as the 'model' for this production has rectangular drawplates today, for example Lion, or one in later days David

All of the photos that I have of all of the Swansea Peckett E locos (there were 6 of them) at all dates have the rectangular plate.

Dave

Guest Isambarduk

"Swansea Peckett E locos (there were 6 of them) at all dates have the rectangular plate."

Fair enough, Dave.

The first eight E Class went to Ebbw Vale Co., Ebbw Vale, Glamorganshire here are two:

Pontypool_8-55.jpg
Pontypool (1010 of 1903)

Abersychan_5-69.jpg
Abersychan (1012 of 1903)

both of which have oval drawplates; perhaps the rectangular plate came later?

I am sure that I would not be the only one to be pleased at a chance of seeing your photos of the E Class - any chance?

David

Re the wheels. Attached is a poor photo of a Peckett 'Sandal' showing that not all wheels were square in section and so it appears that the spoke shape varied for some reason. We also agonised for some time about the number of spokes, this varying both on photographs and in published drawings. In the end we went for 11, but wheels of the same size also existed with 10 and 12 spokes. .

Chris

Attached is slightly better photo of 'SANDAL' which shows that the wheel spokes appear to be of square or rectangular section.  They look thinner perhaps because I think this was a larger 16" cylinder Class OY with 3'-10" wheels

post-14569-0-74212500-1433454885.jpg

Edited by PGH

A great pair of pictures David - I have been looking for images of the Ebbw Vale engines.  The name PONTYPOOL was previously carried by another of my favourites - a Sharp Stewart 'Long Boiler' 0-6-0ST running on the West Somerset Mineral Railway, the locomotives of which were supplied by EV (opportunity for gratuitous image below).

The photo of P1010 is a really good one for the wheel designers - it is difficult to compare the proportions of differing diameter wheels as PGH alludes to above.  Certainly the larger than usual wheels of the E Class appear quite different to the more numerous smaller Peckett examples.

Tony

post-17823-0-83999900-1433455735.png

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"Just realised the photo of P1010 provides a reference for a nice bunker conversion for the Minerva machine!!"

Yes, that was my plan - but it's not much of a conversion; I'd prefer something a bit more 'dramatic', just as I reworked my Ixion Hudswell Clarke.

David

GCR_Humber.jpg

Chris Basten has a break from shows for a few weeks so I have the prototype Peckett at home. Here are some shots of the loco on my Cwm Bach layout to give an indea of scale. We are working on the necessary amendments to the design and preparing the livery artwork. Stay tuned.

post-13142-0-86096400-1434226710_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-61269400-1434226713_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-61510200-1434226715_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-55425100-1434226718_thumb.jpg

• Like 12