Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

You're going to have to buy 2 x Minerva Pecketts in order to accurately recreate the hybrid locomotive made by Ebbw Vale from the parts of two E Class locomotives - 1465 and 1524:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/5780114381/

Note the extended bunker.

Ebbw Vale did not combine Pecketts 1465 and 1524, as more careful scrutiny of the photo caption will reveal the Ebbw Vale loco (EV 2) was a third  different loco.

Ebbw Vale built eight locomotives for their own use between 1905 and 1917, some at least (possibly all) were built from parts supplied by Peckett.  Ebbw Vale Works Nos. 2, 3 and 7 were 0-4-0STs with 15" cylinders,  No.2 had 3'-7" dia. wheels and 3 & 7 had slightly larger at 3'-8" dia.  They have been described by observers as identical in appearance to Peckett locos so its reasonable to assume that they were based on the E Class particularly as Pecketts supplied several other E class locos to Ebbw Vale in the same period.  Maybe Pecketts couldn't supply complete locos at the time required and agreed to supply the parts instead.

EV 2/1907 was Ebbw Vale Works fleet number 22 (works plates actually carried the fleet number rather than the works number) and named NASMYTH.  By 1947 it was at Marine Colliery and hence passed to the NCB.  In 1967-8 Peckett 1465 was rebuilt at Marine Colliery using parts of EV 2 and P 1524, the remains of the latter two locos being scrapped in 1968-9.  In the rebuild P 1465 acquired at least the saddle tank from EV 2 as the name NASMYTH was rather crudely painted on where the original nameplate had been.

In 1973 Peckett 1465 went to Tymawr Colliery where it was scrapped in 1976.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 2

Guest Isambarduk

Thanks, Chaps - just the sort of information that I was after!  It'll take me a while to collate and document it but don't let that stop you from looking for more.  Cheers,    David

There is some more info on P1351 LION here, including a very useful picture for your purposes David, taken at her second home - The Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Co, Northumberland:

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/tag/plumstead-erith-marshes/

Note dumb buffers, oil firing tank on cab roof and a standard chimney.  I'd guess the dumb buffers and oil firing were added by Wallsend (maybe the enlarged cab rear windows too?), but what about the chimney - was she ever fitted with a conical spark arrestor chimney of the munitions factory type for her first role at The Royal Arsenal?  When was the rear bunker added?

Edited by Osgood

One difference not yet noted between these locos and particularly the BR examples is the type of coupling rods.  Pecketts usually fitted coupling and connecting rods with rectangular ends with split brasses held in place with a tapered wedge (gib and cotter joint).  Some of the BR locos had these type of rods while others had round ends - 

BR 1143            P 1105/08            New to Rowlands No.12            ROUND  (photo 1959)

BR 1145            P 1522/18            New to SHT No.18                    RECTANGULAR  (photo as GWR 1098 in 1946)

BR 1151            P 1449/16            New to P&M No.4                     ROUND  (photo 1962)

BR 1152            P 1179/12            New to P&M No.12                   RECTANGULAR  (photo 1959)

I can't see any logic to this unless the rods were replaced at some time.

Edited by PGH

One difference not yet noted between these locos and particularly the BR examples is the type of coupling rods.  Pecketts usually fitted coupling and connecting rods with rectangular ends with split brasses held in place with a tapered wedge (gib and cotter joint).  Some of the BR locos had these type of rods while others had round ends - 

BR 1143            P 1105/08            New to Rowlands No.12            ROUND  (photo 1959)

BR 1145            P 1522/18            New to SHT No.18                    RECTANGULAR  (photo as GWR 1098 in 1946)

BR 1151            P 1449/16            New to P&M No.4                     ROUND  (photo 1962)

BR 1152            P 1179/12            New to P&M No.12                   RECTANGULAR  (photo 1959)

I can't see any logic to this unless the rods were replaced at some time.

Photos of 1143 (as 968) in 1936 show rectangular ends. 

Further to the above, 1145 appears to have had rectangular until withdrawal in 1959.

1151, as 779, (pre-war before the fitting of cab shutters which it kept until withdrawal) had rectangular-end rods.

1152 appears to have had rectangular rods throughout.

The only Peckett E Class to be preserved is P 1351, built in 1914 as LION for the Royal Arsenal.  In 1994 it was at Foxfield in black

attachicon.gifLION 1.jpg

and in 1996 in action with Bagnall HAWARDEN on Foxfield Bank in a rather more attractive (I think) Blue livery.  It is now at the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway

post-14569-0-94302700-1428874840.jpg

The bunker is interesting. Was this a "home-made" modification? It would make things a bit tighter for the 1/43rd scale shunter to get the link over the hook!

That Bunker and other stuff:

Below is a picture said to be of a former RA Peckett 1491 / 1917- albeit not an E CLASS - from the very interesting Chasewater blog pages (the only problem with this site is that once you find your way in you can get lost for hours amongst the pages of fascinating stuff!) - I hope they don't mind me reproducing the image below the link.

The evidence is leaning towards the use by RA of standard build locomotives at this time, which would suggest the modified cab rear spectacle plate and extended bunker on LION were added later by Wallsend Slipway & Engineering?  

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/ncb-west-midlands-division-area-2-locomotives/brereton-collieries-ltd/

post-17823-0-60758700-1428991797_thumb.jpg

There was a note in the Peckett Works Photos book that the Royal Arsenal E Class P1464 NEW ZEALAND was supplied fitted with a spark arrestor chimney.  However the only picture I have seen so far of Es formerly used by RA has a standard chimney, but of course this could have been fitted later.

It would be useful to find photographic evidence of the use of spark arrestor chimneys on the RA Es.  A works photo of a Ministry of Munitions Class R2 Peckett of 1916 suplied to Chilwell shell factory shows a classic conical spark arrestor chimney.

Edited by Osgood

Does anyone have access to the IRS handbook covering Royal Arsenal, Woolwich?  There seems to be very little information readily available.

A little more from the Chasewater site:   https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/tag/royal-arsenal-railway/

- which describes features seen on the photograph here (and which I suspect is the actual photo):   :http://www.gres.org.uk/page51.html

Whilst the background of the photo showing a stockyard crane gantry could be Woolwich, could it equally be a 1950s Wallsend? Note big rear windows but no bunker.  I'm just curious as to why these random modifications should have been carried out at Woolwich.  There were more locomotives than just the Peckett E Class at Woolwich (a total of 50 is mentioned in GRES).  I would expect more consistent modification across the fleet in such an establishment.

Some interesting information about locomotive and wagon construction activities at Woolwich post-WW1 on the GRES webpage too.

Edited by Osgood

Hi Martin, good picture there - have you got any other information on this loco and where it worked? …...

P2047 of 1943, a Class R4.

Supplied to No.2 Metal & Produce Recovery Depot, Eaglescliffe Co.Durham.  Some interesting info here:  http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/history/yourmemories/10189914.print/

2046 went to No 1 M&PRC Cowley Oxfordshire.

Sold 1950/51 to Stewarts & Lloyds (Pty) Ltd and named CORBY for use at their Australian tube plant.

• 4 weeks later...

very nice, Chris.

would I be right in thinking the mould tools are aluminium, or have you gone down the RP + silicone route?

best

Simon

Mix of aluminium and steel. No Rapid Prototyping and silicone.