West Allen Street & Thawne - Extension #5 - Harrison Yard

DanielB

Your weathering looks spot on there Dan! :good:  I remember a while ago seeing a photo of a boxcar not to dissimilar from your one on railpictures that a hobo had frequented for a while and as a result, had a funny sort of char mark along one panel where he'd built a fire up along side it and let it burn for the night.

Keep up the good work,

Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've updated this, but having had a couple of weeks playing with my N scale stuff, it's back to work getting it sorted now.

After playing with the track plan, pushing cars around by hand (choo choo!) I've realised that there just isn't the clearance to fit a 50' car on my pitiful little excuse for a run around.

As such, I'm ditching it. As such, the layout should be MUCH simpler to build and operate. :)

Now, I'm off to get the top surface of the board attached so I can get the sector plate sorted.

Well... it works. :D

https://youtu.be/3k-QegKNkWM

Just gotta sort some method of working the sector plate and getting the wires hidden away under the board to removed that height difference the GP40 so ably demonstrates (the sector plate wires are pinned between the plate and the board surface). I'm thinking  crescent shaped groove to feet the wires down into, and a decent pivot in the right place, and I should be able to just use the end of the sector plate to move it.

In the mean time I've started on the buildings for the layout and will be doing some ballasting at some point soon.

• Like 1

A quick photo update on the layout to hopefully set Nick's mind at ease that the layout will be ready for TVNAM :)

Progress has been slow, if I'm honest, but it's getting there.

Sector plate and hard standing:

20150329_213312-1_zpsl4cpoeef.jpg

Grade crossing and background flats:

20150329_213242-1_zps8ert0iqc.jpg

Metals factory and team track:

20150329_213254_zpstkyxko3n.jpg

I'm currently working on a loading dock for the metals factory. More progress to come as I make any! :P

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 7

I get a bit worried when people who are bringing layouts to the show are only just laying track less than 3 months before the day..... :)

Why? when we all know somebody who likes to take layouts to shows that have only been started the week before, and the paint is still wet, and the ballast is still drying! 3 months is YONKS!

Yeah, after 5 TVNAM Shows, you should be used to it by now, Nick.... :jester: ;)

All jokes aside, I think it's actually pretty amazing what we all manage to achieve in the run up to TVNAM events.

Nick should feel flattered that people build new layouts specifically for him. :P

Hmm... the "all jokes aside" lasted a whole sentence. That's gotta be an RMWeb record, surely?

Time for some badly lit photos! (Yay!)

I've been slowly building up layers of scenics, and have been adding details here and there. I want to get the left end of the layout done first before I start on the sector plate end as it will keep me focused on achieving a level of detail I never managed with Cane River before it's first exhibition.

20150331_214812-1_zpsta2wosrz.jpg

20150331_214755_zpsiicl8kck.jpg

20150331_214747_zpsdopbpaj7.jpg

20150331_214739_zpsf0nk48sg.jpg

• Like 6

Dan,

It's looking good! My wife and I were walking along a similar looking area on Sunday and I was pointing out where the track was and the loading doors and disused, broken down loading docks etc etc. It's a rail trail now and after so many years of walking it one sort of runs out of scintillating conversation. Your scene looks like a rail trail lies in its future. Nice modeling.

Mike