Skytrex GUVs in 7mm are they any good ?

muddys-blues

Hello fellow Modellers, I have been offered the chance to buy some Skytrex GUVS, but it will be a week or two before I get to see them, the question is are they any good shape wise compared to the Westdale Kit or the Heljan RTR offering ? 

Also does anybody know how much they cost when Skytrex was selling them ?

Many thanks in advance

Craig.

The Skytrex Spring 2013 catalogue lists them at £240.00, and shows them available in crimson, blue, and green. I've never seen one so I can't comment on the shape compared to the Westdale or Heljan ones.

Rob

I used to own one - it was OK - but I sold it - if I recall the handrails were part of the body moulding which doesn't look too good when viewing close up - it probably could be played about with/improved - but in terms of RTR the Heljan one is much better.

Hi Rob, I have 2 x Westdale GUV kits in my stock to build, I looking at them they are a good model, Chris I think the Heljan model is just a bit pricey when you need a few GUVs for the planned rake.

Thanks for the input Gents.

Craig.

• 5 months later...

Hello fellow Modellers, I have been offered the chance to buy some Skytrex GUVS, but it will be a week or two before I get to see them, the question is are they any good shape wise compared to the Westdale Kit or the Heljan RTR offering ?

Also does anybody know how much they cost when Skytrex was selling them ?

Many thanks in advance

Craig.

Hi Craig...

Did you take up the offer of the Skytrex GUV's?

There is an image (maroon) on the Howes site and it looks fine to my mind.

http://www.ehattons.com/84163/SkyTrex_SMR312C_BR_Mk1_GUV_General_Utility_Vehicle_in_BR_Crimson_unnumbered/StockDetail.aspx

I bought the Heljan GUV last month but I'm not 100% happy with it - mainly the shape of the roof.

If the guy I bought the Skytrex BG's off also had a GUV for sale, I would have been happy to buy one as they look decent enough, especially for upgrading.

At £240 new, I think that was a bit OTT for Skytrex coaches as they stand, and I'd imagine anyone who'd bought some would be looking to recoup that kind of money secondhand, so I feel fortunate to have picked up those BG's for under £100 each.

I think the price when they were on general sale detracted from what they actually are, and they got a poor reputation on the back of it.

If Skytrex coaches were to become more readily available secondhand at a lower price, I think they might be a decent entry point.

Randall

Hi Randall, I am picking up a couple of Skytrex NCV's next week, I looked at them a few months ago, and ummed and arred, but after seeing yours on the layout, I spoke to the Guy again this week and I have got them for a decent price, not as cheap as yours, but still a good price when you consider they are RTR, and they have been nicely weathered, but i just need to paint the ends blue "as they are black moulded plastic colour at the moment".

He did have a RTR GUV in Blue, but I have 4 x Westdale ones to build, so I passed on that.

Best regards

Craig.

Unfortunately the Westdale GUV (or any other Westdale kit) won't be available for the forseeable future.  I spoke to the proprietor a few months ago and he's taking a break as his wife is very ill.  He said that he didn't know when he'd restart - if ever.  As you say it's the best GUV around.  If anyone has a spare one I'd very much like to hear from them!

Cheers,

Ray.

I think the price when they were on general sale detracted from what they actually are, and they got a poor reputation on the back of it.

Randall

That kind of sums up Skytrex locomotives & rolling stock entirely, really. "Cheap & cheerful" models, but "Premium" prices. :(

Hi Randall, I am picking up a couple of Skytrex NCV's next week, I looked at them a few months ago, and ummed and arred, but after seeing yours on the layout, I spoke to the Guy again this week and I have got them for a decent price, not as cheap as yours, but still a good price when you consider they are RTR, and they have been nicely weathered, but i just need to paint the ends blue "as they are black moulded plastic colour at the moment".

He did have a RTR GUV in Blue, but I have 4 x Westdale ones to build, so I passed on that.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig...

I might be interested in a Blue GUV...can you PM me with his contact details and likely cost?

Thanks

Randall

The Skytrex Spring 2013 catalogue lists them at £240.00, and shows them available in crimson, blue, and green. I've never seen one so I can't comment on the shape compared to the Westdale or Heljan ones.

Rob

£240.00???  My Word.

You can get one of ours for £139.00 + VAT  Some of these prices are just beyond me!

David Parkins

Modern Motive Power

www.djparkins.com

Archived