Minimum space O gauge layout

marc smith

Brian etc,

I thought about Barry Normans' alternative idea for "Wellington Rd" - he thought of using the plan,

in 7mm, with a Peckitt + 2 or 3 beaten up minerals.....

One of the beauties of the original plan (aside its' stunning simplicity, and the fact that there was a "real" but simpler Wellington Rd) was that you could build the model so that it could be viewed end-on....

Also, before building this little layout, I had an idea for an inglenook, using the scenic sector-plate -

actually the inside of a building.

In my mind, I picured an 02 and 3 or 4 wagons (that's all you'd need).

My setting was a wagon scrapyard (inspired by the brilliant scale 7 "Braunstone Gate").

Like my plan here, it uses a single point in the foreground - although it could be shorter than the Peco used here.

Maybe even an old cut-down Lima point - as per my thread...suitably buried in cobbles / filthy concrete etc - just to hide the horrid sleeper-spacing...

Improving Old LimaOI gauge points

The plan features a couple of foreground sidings, where wagons are held during movements to the scrapyard at the rear...

A high rusty fence, and a large pile of scrap metal, together with an overhead crane, disguise a wagon cassette.

Once on the cassette, the wagon can be emptied, or removed from the layout.

An express models "cutters torch" lamp, behind the pile of scrap would complete the illusion, that either wagon-loads of scrap - or even wagons themselves are being dismantled, just off-stage.....

The fiddle-yard is a single track sliding sector plate - the base of which is covered with piles of metal / crates / parcels / whatever - so only the top 2/3 of the loco are seen. Again, the 02 could run further to the right (only a few inches, or another wagon added?

Anyway, enough ramblings -here's the plan - and I reckon with a sort enough radius,

you could easily do the whole thing in under 4 feet.....Anyone want to rise to the challenge?.... :D

Marc (any more layouts + I'm sure she'll be very upset!)

post-2973-126936126598_thumb.jpg

post-2973-12693612732_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

Firstly, apologies for high-jacking your thread, but I have attached a couple of photos of a small '0' guage layout 'Osney Lane' taken at the exhibition at Redruth last weekend. A simple concept - one track from fiddle yard and one siding (also from fiddle yard). DCC operated, with sound. Extremely well modelled and very attractive.<br style=""> <br style="">

Secondly, your scenic fiddle yard is very effective and a good use of the space. Most people at exhibitions spend as much time trying to look at the fiddle yard on a layout, so why not keep it open?

Thirdly, I'm still thinking about my own '0' guage, possibly incorporating a 0-16.5 narrow gauge feeder line, which will run across the standard gauge to provide a scenic break. However, still need to think about a bit more and certainly won't be starting anything until later this year.

Richard (aka Mudmagnet)

post-7854-126945259936_thumb.jpg

post-7854-126945262493_thumb.jpg

Hi Marc,

Firstly, apologies for high-jacking your thread, but I have attached a couple of photos of a small '0' guage layout 'Osney Lane' taken at the exhibition at Redruth last weekend. A simple concept - one track from fiddle yard and one siding (also from fiddle yard). DCC operated, with sound. Extremely well modelled and very attractive.<br style=""> <br style="">

Secondly, your scenic fiddle yard is very effective and a good use of the space. Most people at exhibitions spend as much time trying to look at the fiddle yard on a layout, so why not keep it open?

Thirdly, I'm still thinking about my own '0' guage, possibly incorporating a 0-16.5 narrow gauge feeder line, which will run across the standard gauge to provide a scenic break. However, still need to think about a bit more and certainly won't be starting anything until later this year.

Richard (aka Mudmagnet)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for posting those pictures - you aren't hijacking the thread at all....

Nice looking layout! And well done to the builder(s).

These days, I'm attracted to simple plans - many layouts, whether micro or even large,

can appear "crammed" if care isn't taken.

The scenic fiddle-yard or sector-plate is one solution, if you are short of space...

..or even if you're not, in some cases. Mine is built into a frame, to control viewing,

and to hide edges etc - but as I think I said earlier in the thread, it's removable.

The reason behind that, is that it is small enough to take virtually anywhere,

and I can take newly built stock outdoors, to take photographs.

I may also do this in 4mm, at some stage, as this sort of thing is always useful.

This sector-plate has also given me the opportunity to try out a few new materials etc...

Obviously, scenic fiddles aren't for everyone, but I'd reccomend having a go, if you're thinking about it...

..What's to lose, but a length or 2 of flexi? And if it doesn't work for you, you end up with a backdrop for taking pictures....Another of my early thoughts, was to build the inside of a loco depot (as I've already said) - but to model a small yard, outside of the shed - and make this part into a scenic sliding plate..

I thought about modelling the inside of the depot as one track, with another road just behind this wall

(could even have an openable door, through which a (very small) photo-backdrop, or part of an off-stage loco can be seen. The sliding plate (model of outside, fuelling point, etc) gives access to the rear road, which acts as a cassette, for removing / adding stock....

Could work? - I didn't want to build "yet another" diesel depot, so soon after building Hendre -

Maybe I'll try it in 7mm one day - it's probably the only way I'm ever going to run my impulse-purchase of a Heljan O gauge class 47!

My next 7mm plan, is smaller still than this little layout, and incorporates an O-16.5 exchange siding,

at the rear......so go on, do it matey!

Cheers again

Marc

P.S.

Sorry about the last post being so long!

But I also just wanted to say that I really like the fact that Osney is modelled from the station entrance.

Most modellers build stations which are designed to be viewed from the "pretty" side -

i.e. with posters, passengers etc...

..so it's nice to see one modelled from the other side...

In the case of this layout, it makes for a nice, natural looking viewpoint!

Marc

Marc, (and all)

There are more photos of Osney Town on the West of England exhibition thread.

Stu

Hi Stu,

Just found the link

West of England show

Thanks for that....Osney Town really does look good! :D

Do I take it that the goods building on the left is the view-blocker for the fiddle?

And that the goods road is just a single road too?

Looks stuningly simple.....

It has me thinking about a similar plan, where the inside of the building is partially on view...

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

Yes, the shed is a non-operational view blocker - only the single line into the station works. Rob was only using a pannier & auto coach or a bubble car, but was having fun with the newly installed sound effects. There is also a St Ives GWR poster on the building, which looks suspiciously like a copied version for that of Porth Byhan - I'll need to speak to someone about copywrite !

stu

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Wow! Very kind words, and if you saw this layout in the flesh - you may change your mind, honestly!

I'm not thinking about selling it, at the moment - but I'd certainly bear your kind offer in mind.

Mind you, by the time I've built the 4mm steelworks micro I should have been doing in place of this O gauge..

...if all goes to plan, I will have built 4 layouts in 2 years!!!!

...so SWMBO may well encourage me to get rid of something...

Trouble is, I can't pass a model shop these days! (Thank heavens for my Visa, and a garage so full of stuff that hiding places are plentiful!)

Also, Keith I'm pleased to see you more active on the forum again...

and it isn't stealing, so I don't mind....

..after all, we all lift a few ideas from here and there - that's what forums like this are there for....(I'm sure every plan you see has been done 100 times, in some form or other).

Just wanted to highlight my latest "strange thought" which is to place a small cameo over the join between the 2 "halves"...Perhaps a retaining wall or tall trees with some figures, in an interesting cameo....

...I've a few scemes in mind, but am open to suggestions as to whether anyone among our local characters wouldn't mind making an appearance...

Cheers again,

Marc

and now I've just bought an O gauge Pug with nothing to run it on laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Great to see you today and both layouts. The photos here do not do them justice. Looking forward to seeing Hendre Lane at Taunton!

I've posted a close up of your 08 - the weathering looks spot on to my eyes!

Richard

post-7854-12722145453_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

And a couple of point kits, oh and a Parkside "Fish" van .....

ohh dear, your now on the slippery slope to the fantastic world of 7mm ( you won't regret it ) ;).

All the best, Martyn.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thought the O Micro was fantastic on Saturday. Another sublime layout and further inspiration for those of us with little space (or talent) Hope the 08 recovered later in the day.

Having seen the micro on Saturday, I agree with these comments. The layout was great - and the scenic sector plate was very effective.

I also liked the GWR 4 wheel shunter - very nice - and ideal for use on a micro layout.

My next 7mm plan, is smaller still than this little layout, and incorporates an O-16.5 exchange siding, at the rear...

I know that, earlier in this thread, you talked about an Alphagraphics kit.

I'm not sure which kit you were talking about - but I know they do a rather attractive Kitson steam tram, for 7mm NG, which would fit onto a Hornby "Smokey Joe" chassis (admittedly not some people's first choice of chassis - but probably cheap enough to be acceptable). The kit also includes a passenger trailer car (2 trailers with the Birmingham version).

I believe they also do a works car - essentially a powered wagon - but for standard gauge track, under overhead wires.

You might wonder why I'm mentioning trams. I'm aware that a number of passenger tram operators also hauled freight wagons over their networks - often coal, to run their power stations. Some also carried freight for other companies. I believe that Blackpool had a small electric loco, which they used for shunting - and for a coal delivery contract (which wasn't as lucrative as they'd hoped). I believe there was also a tightly curved track, linking their network to a nearby railway line. Apparently, as soon as they were able to ditch the contract, the loco found its way to Crich tramway museum.

Even now, I believe that some tram operators on the European mainland also carry various types of freight - often using modified tramcars - Zurich Cargotram springs to mind.

Going back in time, I remember seeing a book about the development of tramcars in Prague. Apart from the inevitable T3 (and other) passenger trams, there were also photos and scale drawings of a number of cars designed to carry post - and even general deliveries for some local businesses. Some of the works cars were also interesting - such as side-tipper cars for carrying ballast - and even a T3 with a crane on the back. (Operating this last one could be rather interesting under live overhead!)

In other words, there could be plenty of scope for layouts based on some of the less obvious stuff on tram networks. I'm not so sure whether any of this stuff would interest you, or anyone else on this site.

Anyway, I think I'd better stop waffling. Whatever your next layout, it should be interesting to see how it looks - perhaps at "Llandaff Tech" this October or the "Pumping Station" next June.

All the best with your plans, whatever they are.

Regards, Huw.

• 2 weeks later...

Marc

Thought the O Micro was fantastic on Saturday. Another sublime layout and further inspiration for those of us with little space (or talent) Hope the 08 recovered later in the day.

Martin

Thanks Martin / Mr Rabbit...

Glad you enjoyed the show - I didn't think it was anywhere near as busy as last years event,

but thoroughly enjoyable anyway.

The 08 was fine actually - don't know what happened, but it stalled once, with the sound working,

but no movement....anyhow, it performed very well for the rest of the weekend! (phew!).

I had a couple of stand-in locos anyway....

Best

Marc :D

Having seen the micro on Saturday, I agree with these comments. The layout was great - and the scenic sector plate was very effective.

I also liked the GWR 4 wheel shunter - very nice - and ideal for use on a micro layout.

I know that, earlier in this thread, you talked about an Alphagraphics kit.

I'm not sure which kit you were talking about - but I know they do a rather attractive Kitson steam tram, for 7mm NG.....

...All the best with your plans, whatever they are.

Regards, Huw.

Hi Huw,

Actually the other plan in 7mm wasn't the alphagraphix kit - it's a rather different plan which was an idea I had about 18 months ago....but still haven't got around to (like so many of my plans!!! :rolleyes: )

The Alphagraphix card kit was just another idea I had, which was also to let folk know you don't need pots of cash + acres of space to do something in 7mm.

I think the loco is called a "Sunderland Tram" ? Effectively, it's a coal wagon, with a verandah each end, on which is a driving seat! It could easily be powered, using any motor you could get into a 7mm wagon (though it may be difficult to model it empty).

A warehouse frontage, a wagon turntable (like the Skytrex one) a few feet of track, and bingo!

A really small 7mm layout...

Maybe one day, I'll do this one, if no-one else does it first.

I'm hoping to have my OO steelworks layout ready in time for this years Cardiff show.

I've been building rolling stock, but I've been too busy with shows, and finishing off this O gauge layout...

where can I buy some more time? As that original plan in 7mm is getting further + further away.

I'm aware that I haven't posted anything on this thread lately,

but hopefully I'll be taking some more current pics soon,

and will post them then.

Thanks again for your kind words :D

Marc

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just bumping this project for no reason other than I have been re-reading it for inspiration.

Still a great project...and one I won't tire of seeing...even if it is responsible for me parting with cash in a 7mm direction...:D

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't mind a few more pictures of Poynton Sneer though Marc. They do seem to be appearing on the record of yesterday's event at Taunton but they are all close-ups and I'm struggling with what the layout looks like overall. Especially like the glimpses of the backscene.

David

Wouldn't mind a few more pictures of Poynton Sneer though Marc. They do seem to be appearing on the record of yesterday's event at Taunton but they are all close-ups and I'm struggling with what the layout looks like overall. Especially like the glimpses of the backscene.

David

Hi David,

Building the layout I had little spare time, unfortunately

Hence the lack of a thread, and lack of photos...

However, I will start a thread, and take some piccies, when time allows

Cheers

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Building the layout I had little spare time, unfortunately

Hence the lack of a thread, and lack of photos...

However, I will start a thread, and take some piccies, when time allows

Cheers

Marc

Thanks, Marc, that would be excellent. :)

David

Archived