'Mosshill' No more? Future exhibition layout.

P.C.M

You've got a rather nice start of a Scottish fleet there Peter.

How are you getting on with the trackwork?

Jinty ;)

Nothing yet Jinty,

I was going to see a mate over here and have a go , but I had double book my day so it didn't happen. I have had a look at the plan drawn on the cardboard and think I will be better off getting some ply and making up a baseboard then work out the plan properly . Then I can work out where and what size the points can be and go from there.

Cheers Peter.

Nothing yet Jinty,

I was going to see a mate over here and have a go , but I had double book my day so it didn't happen. I have had a look at the plan drawn on the cardboard and think I will be better off getting some ply and making up a baseboard then work out the plan properly . Then I can work out where and what size the points can be and go from there.

Cheers Peter.

Looking good Peter I'm now a follower! Glad you've gone for hand building the track work, it looks so much better. On the planning side of things have you considered templot? It's free and relatively easy to use whilst it gives you all the sleeper positions for the points and the normal straights etc. Just a thought but I believe it's a good piece of software and would definitely help you out.

Hope that helps,

Will

Looking good Peter I'm now a follower! Glad you've gone for hand building the track work, it looks so much better. On the planning side of things have you considered templot? It's free and relatively easy to use whilst it gives you all the sleeper positions for the points and the normal straights etc. Just a thought but I believe it's a good piece of software and would definitely help you out.

Hope that helps,

Will

Hi Will,

Yep had a quick look but I think I still need to get a board made up and do things full size. But will certainly have a go at templot. My mate over here and Jinty have offered to help too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Nice collection of Tractors Peter, I'm looking forward to seeing THE PLAN and work on the Track.

Thanks Andy,

The rough plan is drawn out on cardboard, see top of page 1. It still needs a tweek but that is pretty much it.

Cheers Peter.

Morning Peter, I still have the Carron Road articles in my, must do one day folder, and looking at your plan I do like it, neat compact and lots of operation. I also like the Scottish idea, I really liked my Heljan 26 and 27's on Glen Roy, there so smooth.

Good luck and lets see it up and running.

BTW Penguin Crossing was at DEMU yesterday and its the first time I've seen it. When the Bentley Group bought it, they back dated it to Steam, but the Guy with all the Steam Stock left the Club and its now back as Railfreight and looking good. The only down side was that all the stock was very nicely weathered but NO LOCOS were weathered which sort of disjointed the whole thing a bit.

You must remember the old well worn 50 that used to run on the Layout.

attachicon.gifBurton DEMU 2015 May 30th 083.JPG

attachicon.gifBurton DEMU 2015 May 30th 091.JPG

Apologies for the thread hijack, I believe the Lima locos are still about and last time I operated Pengwynn they still ran but were showing their age, so I can understand why there are more modern locos. I am sure in the fullness of time Geoff and the BMRG members will weather the locos as it does look a little odd at the moment, coincedentally the owner of the steam stock you mentioned was over at my house last night helping me weather some wagons.

• Like 1

Nice to see you starting a Scottish based layout, we know that you have a liking for that location and relevant traction!

Some nice Tractors there. I do like split box 049, especially with the round buffers. I also have one and would like to model it as one with the same features. However, during the period that I am modelling, I cannot seem to find one that is plain blue with round buffers and no orange cant rail stripe!

Looking forward to seeing your Scottish stock weathered up!

Only just found this, nice idea Peter and will watch with interest. Carron Road was one of the layouts that inspired me into modern modelling, Nigel did a cracking job with it.

Thanks Rob,

Carron Road certainly was one of those layouts that Inspires. 

Re your other post, It would be good to see some weathered loco's back on Pengwynn I understand that replacing the Lima loco's makes sense but the Lima loco's looked great, good to hear they are still about.

Cheers Peter.

Nice to see you starting a Scottish based layout, we know that you have a liking for that location and relevant traction!

Some nice Tractors there. I do like split box 049, especially with the round buffers. I also have one and would like to model it as one with the same features. However, during the period that I am modelling, I cannot seem to find one that is plain blue with round buffers and no orange cant rail stripe!

Looking forward to seeing your Scottish stock weathered up!

Thanks Alex,

Well it had to happen I couldn't keep buying 26s etc and not build something to run them on. You might find it hard to find a class 37 with round buffers in your time period as they seemed to be replaced with oval ones when in works, it's quite possible their could be a couple still about though so keep looking.

Cheers Peter.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Have you been able to progress with your exhibition layout any further? Looked like some good idea's there ... But surely it's time to skip to O gauge rather than OO :) ... Go on ... You know you want to hehe!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Have you been able to progress with your exhibition layout any further? Looked like some good idea's there ... But surely it's time to skip to O gauge rather than OO :) ... Go on ... You know you want to hehe!

Rich

Hi Rich,

In a word no. It's not dead though, more a time and funding issue. I have thought about doing something in 7mm too to be honest but I want to do that later on when my  eyesight has started to go. It's also a funding thing again. I have some 26s and 37s to do Mosshill which I suppose I could sell to fund the 7mm stock but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I have decided to change the plan of Mosshill too which I will post up at some point. The idea is to make it more easy to operate at an exhibition. I have also been thinking about buying Peco points rather than make my own but I am not sure yet. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

All sounds a logical plan. Looking forward to seeing the new plan. Those two aspects always seem to crop up ... Time and money! Can't get away from them!

Rich

• Agree 1

Morning Peter, Really looking forward to seeing the New Idea, I have a O Gauge 08 coming and will just do a shunting plank to take to a few Shows etc, I wish I could afford a 37, but with 11 Sound Blue OO it would be criminal to sell ALL THOSE just to buy 1 O gauge 37.

Hi Peter,

All sounds a logical plan. Looking forward to seeing the new plan. Those two aspects always seem to crop up ... Time and money! Can't get away from them!

Rich

Thanks Rich, I was thinking I want to be able to operate from the front so means changing the sector plate idea. I have more time than money to be honest. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Morning Peter, Really looking forward to seeing the New Idea, I have a O Gauge 08 coming and will just do a shunting plank to take to a few Shows etc, I wish I could afford a 37, but with 11 Sound Blue OO it would be criminal to sell ALL THOSE just to buy 1 O gauge 37.

Evening Andy,

I did notice young George had got you interested in 7mm again I will be tempted to get an 08 myself at some point. Yeh don't sell your 00 sound stuff Andy just gradually build up the 7mm stuff. Looking forwards to your 7mm project I really liked Pencarne Junction. At this rate you will run out of room in your shed. Ha ha.

Cheers Peter.

• 1 month later...

Good I can give you some work to do on the layout. lol

Cheers Peter.

Can I get work to do on a layout :D Need to wait for ages before I can get enough money to do mine!

Thanks Ian,

I was only thinking today that I need to get some ply and make up a board so that I can work out the size of the points I need to build.

I am not sure it will ever make it too the New Forest show though if anyone comes out to Oz I can set it up outside and have my own mini exhibition. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

Sounds good, where's my invite!

Look forward to seeing this progress, assuming you don't go 7mm on us! That being said, the same in 7mm would look amazing!

Only been to Scotland once, last year, but having family come from there, along with the scenery, Scotland is by far my favourite place to model!

And have already decided that once I have what I deem to be enough 50s and 60s stock for Dunoon, Ebay's going to run out of 26s and 27s, not to mention 08s, 20s, 37s and 47s, all in blue!

Now when can I expect to see this at Caufield or Sandown?! About time we got a Scottish layout on the Victorian exhibition circuit! It's such a shame there aren't many British layouts, and when there are there are a lot of ones with Peco track, RTR stock, tension lock couplers, and no weathering (most of the time, there are a couple of exceptions)...

I hope you go along with the original plan of handlaid track, as to me a lot of layouts have Peco track and it more or less ruins the effect of otherwise brilliant layouts, mainly due to the sleeper spacing. However, whichever way you do it (as long as you don't change from a Scottish layout!) I'm sure it'll look great, if Llanbourne is anything to go by.

Peter

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia

Thanks Peter,

Still nothing happening with Mosshill. Probably nothing until later in the year now as I am off to the UK in September. 

I will be at Caulfield on Sunday helping with a friends SR/BR steam layout.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I will be at Caulfield on Sunday helping with a friends SR/BR steam layout.

And yet again I get to miss out thanks to the needs of the employer.  I shall however materially assist in the getting-there and getting-home of a number of visitors.  Please remember, those who are coming, that there are still buses replacing trains between Stony Point to Frankston and Moorabbin to Caulfield until last service on Sunday night.

And yet again I get to miss out thanks to the needs of the employer.  I shall however materially assist in the getting-there and getting-home of a number of visitors.  Please remember, those who are coming, that there are still buses replacing trains between Stony Point to Frankston and Moorabbin to Caulfield until last service on Sunday night.

BRMA at Jeffs Saturday too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have been thinking of doing an exhibition layout for some time and I think it's probably a good time to start a thread as I have mentioned it a few times on my Llanbourne thread. The build wont start straight away but I have already picked up a few items of stock. :senile:  As you may know I have been building Llanbourne for years so this will take some time to get going. 

Why Mosshill No more? Well for the last year or so my plan was to do something based along the lines of Mossend. A sort of half train idea with a few sidings and loco shed. I was involved with the New Forest Model Railway clubs building of Mossbank many years ago and went to Mossend in the late 80s and thought back then a small layout based on Mossend might work. Bachmann's  class 85 introduced a few years ago rekindled my Mossend idea's but after drawing up lots of different plans I couldn't make it work with only one fiddleyard and to get the variety of trains would mean a very busy fiddle yard and lots of stock changes which at an exhibition would be a pain. Last year I decided that my next layout would have hand built points and fine scale track, although still be oo gauge.

So, where am I at?  Well, having decided to build my own points the Mosshill idea was shelved and something with less points was decided on. It didn't take me long to work out what to do. I remember seeing Nigel Bowyer's Carron Road in the late 80s and thought back then it would be a good one to copy with a few modifications. Using this as my inspiration, I have drawn up many track plans over the years, and having recently gone back to this idea, i think I may just have cracked a plan I am happy with.

Some of you may remember seeing Carron Road, it appeared in Modelrail and Model Railway Journal back in the 90s. I think I saw it twice back in the day but the first time was at a show where I was helping to operate Mossbank. I can't remember where the exhibition was but there were some great layouts on show. Somerford with all it's hydraulics, Pengwynn Crossing and another big layout which I think was Healey Mills.

Being at the show for two days gave me plenty of time to watch these great layouts but Carron Road really struck me as a great layout with no wasted space at the front for fiddleyard and some nice little Scottish loco's pottering about.

With the change of idea I did think of changing the layout name hence the "No More" in the title which reminded me of a Proclaimers song from back in the day. Anyway, I quite like it so it will stay for now. I am still thinking of keeping the area of the layout in the Glasgow area which will allow a good variety of stock. The time period is 1985-86, Stock will be 08, 20, 26, 27, 37, and 47. The station will be served by a DMU and loco hauled trains. A morning parcels will also appear along with a mix of freight. The layout itself will have an oil depot and siding for a couple of vans, off scene will be a coal yard, other freight traffic will appear serving a near by yard which is probably a bit over the top for a small layout but you need variety at an exhibition and we all bend the rules a bit don't we? I have also added a small fuel point which will add more interest and the chance for LE to arrive from the near by yard. Time of year for the layout will be winter I want that cold icy feel to it with possibly some snow laying around something like the guys have done on the superb Aberdeen Kirkhill layout.

Now I know this isn't anything new and Scottish layouts are quite common but since my first visit to Scotland in 85 and seeing my fist class 27 shunting stock at Edinburgh Waverley I was hooked. I even converted two Lima class 33s to a class 26 and a class 27.all those years ago I even converted a Tri ang class 37 to a split box 37112 which is a loco I hope to do again.

I have attached a rough plan and some pics of the almost full sized  layout drawn out on  some cardboard. As I said this is a long term project so boards are a while off though hopefully this year I can make a start on building some points. Layout size will be 9ft by 2ft 6ish.

Cheers Peter.

Only just noticed this thread, looks like an interesting new project,  good ideas also for basic setting it out etc, which may prove helpful in the future, another follower !  37 425 @ CL  - that must have been one bitter winter's day to be using a camera  ! 

Regards

Ken

Only just noticed this thread, looks like an interesting new project,  good ideas also for basic setting it out etc, which may prove helpful in the future, another follower !  37 425 @ CL  - that must have been one bitter winter's day to be using a camera  ! 

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

This layout is now on the back burner so to speak. I have started a 7mm project which is something I have wanted to do for some time so once thats done I will look at doing this again.

37425 rolled into the station while we were in the buffet eating bacon and egg rolls waiting for a train to Oban. Glad I took the pic though 37425 is on the to do list too.

Cheers Peter.

• Friendly/supportive 1