RMweb

Where is Dapol 00 OHLE?

Redford73

I know they released the CAT 001 MK3 catenary masts (I've bought a load of them for use on my next layout) but what has happened to the others in the prospective range?

Dapol announced these in 2010/11 and I saw them in the catalogue last year but still nothing?

I am using catenary on my layout in progress - do I wait for the 003, 004 and 005 products or just start scratchbuilding?

I'm also hoping (probably pie in the sky) that releasing a full UK modelling catenary system it might be a catalyst for a new Class 86 and/or 87.  I'm sure Bachmann's 85s would have done better if there were a decent UK catenary system available.   

I know they released the CAT 001 MK3 catenary masts (I've bought a load of them for use on my next layout) but what has happened to the others in the prospective range?

Dapol announced these in 2010/11 and I saw them in the catalogue last year but still nothing?

I am using catenary on my layout in progress - do I wait for the 003, 004 and 005 products or just start scratchbuilding?

I'm also hoping (probably pie in the sky) that releasing a full UK modelling catenary system it might be a catalyst for a new Class 86 and/or 87.  I'm sure Bachmann's 85s would have done better if there were a decent UK catenary system available.   

I'd say start scratchbuilding. That's what I did over 30 years ago, essentially as an experiment, developments from which ended up incorporated in a number of full blown exhibition layouts.

Scratchbuilding in metal (usually brass) also helps if you want to actually use the wires for power. The catenary system can be used to form a very effective common return.

Edited by Gordon H

No response from Dapol?

I have considered scratchbuilding but am a developing modeller and have no experience in scratchbuilding in metal.  I am particularly put off by the intricacy of the fine metal on gantries and trusses which will be necessary for the masts.  I wont be using any wire as want good access to tracks and wont need it for power.  I may attempt plastruct masts as I am reasonably proficient in scratchbuilding in plastic.

• 3 months later...

i think they would be better off developing a full range in N gauge not OO.  OO is more suited to scratch building as the wires are more visible and thick plastic imitiation wires dont really cut it whereas you can get away with no wires in N.  the presence of the masts alone provides enough of an illusion.

From Dapol's Facebook Page:

"Can you give a rough estimate when you plan to release the Double Span Masts? Thanks in advance

Hi Neil, Early 2016 would be my best estimate. We are working n the designs now along with gantries so should not be to much longer".

So it seems some progress is being made.

https://www.facebook.com/Dapol-Ltd-214563285228094/timeline/?ref=ts

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 1

one could argue that at present there isnt a great raft of electrics out there of the new generation we got the 85 the bad Heljan 86 and a new 90 on the way and in N gauge its really only the farish emu and Dapol 86.  no real rush id say to get these masts out just yet...........

I'm wondering whether the release of the farish airconditioned mk2f stock in n and 00 will maybe help signal more interest in modelling the wcml????  might that lead to more electrics?

Chicken and egg situation. Are people not buying electric locos and units because there is a lack of OHLE? Or are they not buying OHLE due to a lack of electric locos and EMUs?

On the thread about the proposed class 320 and 321 in N gauge many people including myself have asked for a 00 gauge version. I could also add a 313, 314, 315 would be a good seller.

Oh and because I mention it on every wish list a class 303.

Chicken and egg situation. Are people not buying electric locos and units because there is a lack of OHLE? Or are they not buying OHLE due to a lack of electric locos and EMUs?

With the latter, I still think that there is an unrealistic expectation regarding what is going to fall out a box and instantly electrify any layout. Hornby have missed a trick here by not offering something they inherited from one of their European manufacturers as a token scene-filling effort as part of their Railroad range, because TBH- nothing else apart from some degree of scratchbuilding is going to match the same standard of current RTR stock.

• Like 1

Why do people assume electrics don't sell? Would Bachmann have committed to producing a Class 90 if they weren't happy with the sales of the 85? If it had been the sales lemon some of the more rabid kettleistas would have us believe based on spurious conclusions derived from discounting or unscientific chats with sales assistants at swapmeets, I'm sure Bachmann would have pulled the resources from the 90 project in favour of a Miss Marpleshire 0-6-0 saddle tank or Bulleid's Leader which are guaranteed sales gold if the aforementioned kettleistas are to be believed.

I prefer to look at the evidence. Bachmann are investing serious money into a 90 which says to me they are happy with the AC electric market potential.

I am not buying electrics due to lack of them being produced. i.e. none at all for my time frame 1980s. 

Eh? You can buy either new or second hand RTR examples of class 81,85,86,87,90 and 91, some of which from more than one manufacturer.

Eh? You can buy either new or second hand RTR examples of class 81,85,86,87,90 and 91, some of which from more than one manufacturer.

Yes, but EMUs are a completely different kettle of fish. Yes there are kits available, quite easily built ones at that, but its quite another thing to complete them to current standards. I'd quite happily build an OHLE layout, but the prototype I have in mind only requires units with maybe one token 25kV loco. Having built DMUs in the past and still build coach kits, I know that I'm not going to get an EMU I'd be entirely happy with, let alone half a dozen of them.

As things stand I see the 85 and 350 as disjointed stand alone models (the 350 has the 66/70 to run alongside but it really misses a modern electric), the 86 is somewhat of a disappointment and is stuck in limbo with very little to run alongside, and everything before them leaves the OHLE modeller still stuck in the 1990s. The idea of a Hornby 'quickie' using Euro kit in the railroad range would at least be a quick fix which may satisfy that proportion of the market who are happy to run older models...and could lead to further interest into the market.

Without all the elements in place, I don't see OHLE really taking off. There is no entry level into it anymore, Hornby and Lima used to produce ready to plonk basic OHLE which is long unavailable. The 85 and HJ 86 (and older models which need quite a bit of work) don't have a readily available 'support act' Mk1/Mk2/Mk3 EMU, let alone anywhere near comprehensive enough OHLE without kit/scratch building. The 90 will change things for those so inclined to model the more modern period alongside the 350, and until it arrives I can see why Dapol would be willing to let their range slip until there is more of a demand.

(the 350 has the 66/70 to run alongside but it really misses a modern electric)

It's not quite that bad, it has class 92,90 and the Pendolino to keep it company on the electric side, which would make for a reasonable representation of the Modern WCML.

As you rightly say, with the 66, 70 (and Voyagers) as well as the current 90, 92 and 390 a representation of the WCML is possible, but the latter really do stand up poorly with the modern standard models and could use some not so insignificant work to stop them looking like the archaic models which they are in comparison.

I count the 90 and 92 as 1990s throwbacks, hence my reference to that decade in my initial post, both need work to get them even close to the standard of the 66/70/220/350. If I were inclined to model the past decade I'd completely ignore the 90 with Bachmanns offering announced, and the 92 would be looking for a class 60 chassis and quite a heavy reworking to get that underframe right for the electric. Neither a cheap nor the easiest job. And to be brutally honest I think the Hornby Pendo is lackluster at best, otherwise why the clamour around the Revolution/Rapido model to scale it up?

I'm more a fan of the '80s WCML. Well, the Black Country section of the Grand Junction, which is literally served by the Bachmann 85 and a motly collection of models that date from the 70s and older. I did start collecting shells and the odd class 42 chassis long before the Bachy 85 was conceived, but what eventually put me off was how long it took to get one decent running model given the hours I frequently work along with having to kit build all of the units as well as infrastructure. Its easier to model the same general locale pre '60s in N Gauge! (which is what I do instead)

• RMweb Gold

Just seen this on the Dapol website posted earlier today ... looks like the catenary wires are on the way!

In Stock and Being Sent to Stockists

OOWIRE1       OO Catenary Wires  337 mm Pack of 5    RRP £24.95

OOWIRE2       OO Catenary Wires  203 mm Pack of 10  RRP £27.95

OOWIRE3       OO Catenary Wires  177 mm Pack of 10  RRP £24.95

OOWIRE4       OO Catenary Wires  155 mm Pack of 10  RRP £22.95

OOWIRE5       OO Catenary Wires  138 mm Pack of 10  RRP £20.95

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=132

I'm confused (easily done) I bought two packs of the OHLE masts. Now I see the wires are available in different lengths. Why are there different lengths and where would each be used?

I get that you might have a short length at a set of points and a longer one else where.

I drive underneath them every day but don't seem to have taken much notice of them.

... Why are there different lengths and where would each be used?

I get that you might have a short length at a set of points and a longer one else where. ...

Going round bends of different radius?

Paul

Edited by Fenman

If you can find me these (85 excluded), with NEM pockets and DCC ready then I will have one of each. The 86s go for stupid money and I haven't had much luck finding them. (remember I am overseas) 

Edited by thebritfarmer

If you can find me these (85 excluded), with NEM pockets and DCC ready then I will have one of each. The 86s go for stupid money and I haven't had much luck finding them. (remember I am overseas) 

I am sure if you are short of time you could pay someone to do it for you. Class 86's in good condition start from about £18.  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Class-86-86417-In-RES-rail-Express-Systems-Livery-/271991504665?hash=item3f53f4ff19

Most will post overseas too.

Edited by Titan