Using 1/43 rolling stock for On30 (1/48)?

JimF51

Another thought, how 'off' would using 7mm ng locos and rolling stock look, if everything else on a diorama or layout was at 1/48 scale. Would it look terribly too large?

Jim F

Sounds to me like another "can you tell the difference between EM and P4" question :)

(or HO vs OO; or OO9 and HOe; or S7 and O)

As I cannot do that I doubt if I would notice the minor difference in scale between !:43 and 1:48

But it does all depend on the viewer and what is being viewed. what might look perfectly ok in a scene if you place two items of stock together with different scales it may well be seen more evidently.

But to some pernickety folk they would find the fault and comment something is wrong (which it is).

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the scale difference will be very obvious if the types of model on the diorama are different. The 1/43 trains will probably look ok near 1/48 road vehicles but if you mix the scale with either rail or road vehicles it may be more obvious. If you are also adding figures you may need to be quite selective as to which you use where, as 1/48 figures at the front with 1/43 behind will look odd. An 'average' sized man at (about) 5ft 9in is c40.5mm in 1/43 and c36.5mm in 1/48, with proportional differences in torso and limb thickness.

Pete

daven04.jpg

The above from Gilbert Gribi's site

http://www.gilbert-gribi.ch/GGribi/daven.html

The differences are more in height and bulk...the above being a standard, and re-scaled ...in parts, B/mann Davenport.

There is a noticeable difference in size, between Model A Fords in 1.48, and in 1.43....try an Eligor diecast Model A Ford, against  a brand such as Solido?

Probably a similar effect as that between OO & HO?

I think you would get away with using the Chivers range of 1:43 wagon kits as they are quite small - scaling about 6' wide in 1:48 with approximately 7" wide planking. They use the same bogies /trucks on their both 1:43 and 1:48 ranges (based on a very small US 2' gauge prototype in 1:48).

http://www.slimrails.co.uk/

When I get home this weekend I'll snap a pic of my GVT loco and coaches (Peco) on my On30 layout.  US On30 vehicles tend to look larger because the prototypes were larger than the average UK NG, however the Bachmann locos, according to some observers, vary somewhat in their scale fidelity.  Some have been used on 5.5mm (1/55th) layouts.  The Bachmann rolling stock is all bogie so once again looks substantial even when compared to say an L&B bogie coach.  My On30 layout (link below) uses craftsman laser-cut buildings.  The station building is quite massive and in fact would not look too out of place in a UK NG setting.

All in all I think you could get away with it with careful choice of scenic items but I'm not sure why you would want to unless it was to build a non country-specific layout for running either type of trains.

I think that in narrow gauge modelling the practice of mixing stock from different railways where the loading gauge restrictions differ is common place, in fact in my opinion aesthetically smaller stock in a larger scale will look better with larger stock in a smaller scale. As for people the mixture of sizes is very prototypical rather than having all the same size. On the other hand larger stock in the larger scale would look out of place with smaller stock in a smaller scale if using the same track gauge

It will be a case of blending the appropriate stock together. for instance, if you look at the Peco Great Little Trains 0-16.5 range, the smaller whitemetal wagons look totally out of place with the larger plastic range, possibly would look better on an 0-12 (if that exists) track gauge along side its larger counter part

Archived