Union of South Africa parked up in Warrington

Driving through Warrington tonight and saw this parked up just north of Warrington Bank Quay station.  I noticed it on Saturday when travelling back to Wigan on the train following an afternoon on the beer in Warrington.  Union of South Africa 60009 was attracting quite a bit of attention from passers-by tonight.  Photo taken from Dallam Lane, just off the A49.  Does anybody know why it is parked here and when it may be moved?  Like I say it has been here since at least Saturday 13th June.  It would be nice to take my little boy to see it when its moved if it isn't broken down.  Or is it something to do with the problems with West Coast Railway Company?

post-25512-0-44219100-1434491245_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Was supposed to go to Carnforth on Thursday but was cancelled. Ran on Friday but Realtime trains shows

This service was cancelled between Warrington Bank Quay and Carnforth Steamtown due to safety checks

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O03102/2015/06/12/advanced

As it is showing a 'Not to be Moved' board it looks as if it might be broken

• RMweb Premium

As it is showing a 'Not to be Moved' board it looks as if it might be broken

It is broken.

It has suffered a hot box. The latest info suggests that it will be removed by road to a suitable location to repair it......................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hot box x 2 apparently.

According to a couple of steam websites, it's just had new axleboxes fitted..................................

Oops!

Cheers,

Mick

Oh dear.  We're booked on the SRPS Fife Circle & Edinburgh Suburban South Side railtour on 5th July which is scheduled to be hauled by 60009.  We were booked on the earlier one, in April, which was due to be behind 46233 but that was cancelled because the Duchess couldn't get to Scotland due to "gauging issues".  What's the likelihood that 60009 will be fixed in time for its date with us?

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.  We're booked on the SRPS Fife Circle & Edinburgh Suburban South Side railtour on 5th July which is scheduled to be hauled by 60009.  We were booked on the earlier one, in April, which was due to be behind 46233 but that was cancelled because the Duchess couldn't get to Scotland due to "gauging issues".  What's the likelihood that 60009 will be fixed in time for its date with us?

Depends on numerous things - obviously rather important is how soon it can be got to somewhere where the work can be done.  Then what needs to be done depends very much on the extent of the damage - if it was picked up early on things shouldn't be too bad but if it (they) had been running hot for too long and the axles had been damaged it would take a lot longer.  So it really is difficult for anyone to say until they've fully ascertained the extent of any damage and assessed what work is needed to rectify that damage.

I hope she is under 24 hour guard, and the nameplates all brassware etc is welded on.

She seems to be parked alongside Dallam Lane - not the most salubrious areas.

Brit15

Not too sure they'll find a lot of whitemetal....

I'm sure between us we've plenty of so called "kits" of less reputable manufacture that could be done a favor by being donated to melt down if they're short

• RMweb Gold

The current issue of Heritage Railways has an article on Jeremy Hoskins new workshops in the old Crewe diesel depot, including a photo of a new set of axleboxes for 60009.

Perhaps someone get mixed up and put a set of Bachmann bore bearings on it when it's got Hornby axles or vice-versa...?

Martin

Driving through Warrington tonight and saw this parked up just north of Warrington Bank Quay station.  I noticed it on Saturday when travelling back to Wigan on the train following an afternoon on the beer in Warrington.  Union of South Africa 60009 was attracting quite a bit of attention from passers-by tonight.  Photo taken from Dallam Lane, just off the A49.  Does anybody know why it is parked here and when it may be moved?  Like I say it has been here since at least Saturday 13th June.  It would be nice to take my little boy to see it when its moved if it isn't broken down.  Or is it something to do with the problems with West Coast Railway Company?

attachicon.gifUnion of South Africa 4.JPG

Looking at the photograph of #60009. I have a couple of queries -

>.1.- What is that coppery coloured rod leaning backwards from the RIGHT hand lamp-iron, (it looks like some sort of radio antenna, but probably isn't.)??;

>.2.- Why is there that apparently OPEN and rectangular space on the RIGHT hand Running Plate between the centre and the rearmost coupled wheels?  I've seen it on several photographs of that side of that class of locomotives.

• RMweb Premium

A Foundry I visited today was making bearing parts for "a steam engine that looks like Mallard".

From knowing what they have made previously I guessed the parts were for Sir N G, but maybe not...

Cheers,

Phil.

I just checked the SRPS railtours web site and next Sunday's tours which were originally going to be behind 60009 are now showing as to be hauled by Tornado.  At least we get to go this time!  Hope 60009 is feeling better soon.

Ahh...  Due to illness (not me, I hasten to add), I now have a first class ticket going spare for the Sunday morning railtour that was going to be behind UofSA but is now going to be hauled by Tornado.

Anyone in the Edinburgh area interested in taking the ticket?  It seems a shame to let it go to waste.

Well, we had a jolly jaunt behind Tornado on Sunday, brightened up further by the announcement of the Forth Rail Bridge being awarded World Heritage Site status as were actually crossing!

On arriving back at Waverley we nipped up on to Waverley Bridge to watch the afternoon railtour depart.  As we were waiting, three fire engines (including a white one, oddly) and a police car turned up, blue lights ablaze and sirens screeching.  We discussed whether someone might have dialled 999 on seeing Tornado's exhaust smoke emerging from the station - more as a joke than in seriousness, but as it turned out, we were right: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/fire-at-waverley-turns-out-to-be-steam-train-1-3822129 (I would have thought that the fire brigade would have been made aware that a steam train was going to be hanging around Waverley at that time, but perhaps they just have to super-careful these days.)

An hour or so later I headed out to Dalmeny on the motorbike to see if I could get some photos of the afternoon railtour on its way back.  After deciding that I didn't like any of the perspectives I found there, I decided to head to Morningside Station to snap it coming through there a bit later.  Five minutes after that the heavens opened, and everyone on the roads was tippy-toeing around, struggling with inadequate wipers and clouds of spray being thrown up by trucks.  Rainwater started in seeping to my gloves and other places I don't care to mention, but I persevered and made it to Morningside...just in time to hear Tornado puffing past as I was parking the bike and flipping up my visor.  D'oh!

Cambs Fire got called out by a motorist once, reporting a fire alongside the A1 at a place called Wansford.... :)

(Yes it was a loco on shed on the NVR). But the funny part was it was one of their own Fire Officers that called it in....

White fire appliances - LU have some as part of their One Under Emergency rescue fleet.

I've also seen parked up alongside them at Stratford Market depot, another white one with Police markings. Now that would make an interesting model.

Stewart

A white fire appliance would indicate it's one of the former Grampian Fire Brigade fleet, they were all repainted white in the late 90s as it was thought the white paintwork made them more visible to pedestrians and motorists.

I think that colour scheme was unique in the UK, however it's more or less all gone now as the amalgamation of the various Scottish brigades into one large brigade in 2013 meant that the standard red colour was to be adopted.

Archived