Poor mobile reception on board Virgin trains

sub39h

Hi guys,

I've noticed recently that I've been getting very poor phone reception on board Virgin Trains, most notably the Super Voyagers. If my phone is more than about an inch from the window lose reception almost entirely!

I haven't changed my phone or provider recently, so is there any reason why I've suddenly noticed a massive dip in performance?

It is very much a first world problem, I know. But I commute to London 4 or 5 days a week and it would be nice to have something to do to pass the time.

This is a problem .... try reading a book, or maybe, just maybe ...try to strike up a conversation with the person next to you !

I'm a uni student atm - having internet means I can access research papers etc on the fly. Usually reading one paper means I need to read 5 more from its citations to get a better understanding so never know what I need to read!

• RMweb Premium

This is a problem ....  try reading a book, or maybe, just maybe ...try to strike up a conversation with the person next to you !

Or sit back and watch the world go by - one of the main reasons rail travel is a good way of travelling even if you've no interest in trains in my opinion (although my opinion also means seeing a lot that annoys me, or nothing but trees at close range...)

All the Voyager/Meridian family have been bad for mobile reception since they were built. I think it's partly due to the UV filter film on the windows

Is that why the windows often look rather shiny from the outside? I assumed that it was some sort of style choice.

Faraday cage effect?

I would imagine the large windows would mean a Faraday cage wasn't possible - may be wrong though! Physics was never my strong suit! 

Plus reception used to be ok. I travel between Coventry and London and from Coventry until about Milton Keynes I never got good reception. Now I struggle within the M25 where I used to have solid reception!

Icomera is installed on Virgin Trains East Coast

Do they use them?. The Icomera web page doesn't have them as a customer, and you think they would have someone as prestious listed

You don't complain to Icomera about the equipment installed on Virgin Trains, you need to contact Virgin Trains

You need to ask why the Icomera is switched off

They should then reply back asking what hub unit was being used or service you were on

I've phoned them a few times and had them reset the unit which resolved the issue

If the issue relates to Virgin Trains West Coast, you need to contact Virgin Trains and ask about the T-mobile equipment as they are the provider of the network and enhancement equipment

Furthermore, the enhancement only really works when you use their network

Icomera is installed on Virgin Trains East Coast

You don't complain to Icomera about the equipment installed on Virgin Trains, you need to contact Virgin Trains

You need to ask why the Icomera is switched off

They should then reply back asking what hub unit was being used or service you were on

I've phoned them a few times and had them reset the unit which resolved the issue

If the issue relates to Virgin Trains West Coast, you need to contact Virgin Trains and ask about the T-mobile equipment as they are the provider of the network and enhancement equipment

Furthermore, the enhancement only really works when you use their network

The OP said a Super Voyager, so VWC. I wasn't suggesting complaining to Icomera, I was just interested in what services they provide and noticed a list of prestigious clients which didn't include Virgin.

From what I can see, unless I've missed something, these devices provide wireless to the train, so OK for the OP's needs of web surfing, but don't boost phone signal, which remains as poor as ever on 220/1/2s

Archived