3708 Killarney

Guest Lyonesse

Well done on both Killarney and Calcutta. They both look superb.

Great Western outside frame 4-4-0 locos, late 1920's condition and P4 to boot.

They tick all the boxes for me!

Regards,

Craig W

• 2 years later...
Guest Lyonesse

A postscript:

3506 Calcutta, which is pictured on page 1 of this thread, suffered a fall to the floor.  It was actually in its box, with some bubble wrap, but still had the corner of the cab roof and part of the cab side bashed in.  I tried some gentle manipulation, but decided that repair would require the soldering iron and a repaint.  So here it is with paint stripped.  The second picture shows it compared with new build Finney kit 3409 Queensland, on the left.

Queensland has a nickel silver firebox, just because I didn't like the etched washout plugs.  After taking this picture, I noticed that I'd fitted the roof of Queensland backwards.

DSC03457.JPG

DSC03459.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lyonesse

Calcutta got a new roof of 0.010in nickel sliver, with 0.003in and 0.005in trimmings.  I managed to unsolder Queensland's roof and put it back on the right way round.  For both locos I strengthened the cab sides with a 1mm strip of 0.015in nickel silver and increased the thickness of the curved roof support, at the back, by an extra 0.015in.  Both now await warmer weather, and the paint shop.

DSC03464.JPG

DSC03483.JPG

• 1 year later...