RMweb

Minories in N (My idea) in 5 by 1

Danfilm007

Catch Trays? Do tell? :P

Thanks, I have placed some track on my board just to see what it looks like - can post a picture later!

Not trays for catches! ☺️ But large metal trays with a small lip all around placed in the four foot and normally full of a mucky diesel/water mix. Probably an attempt to stop fouling the groundwater where locos stood for any length of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for this, I would be happy to see further updates as I am also planning a 70's based Minories in HO.

Today could be your lucky day!

I've recently bought all of the point motors and switches, so now I have plenty of soldering to do and it'll be up and running!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been thinking about the layout recently. I want to have OHLE on the layout, and I am considering bringing it further into the 21st Century. I thought, recently, if might be a good idea to have the track level raised up, onto a viaducty sort of structure, rather than having the scenic part of the layout raised above the layout, hopefully bringing a Midlandsy or Londony feel. Anyone with any thoughts/ideas/how to make it? Ta! 

Yes, I found point motors under a viaduct very fiddly to fit and if I had to do any troubleshooting I think it could be quite irksome.

Designing the sides of  the viaduct to be detachable helps, but you're still working in quite a restricted space (thinking of getting hand inside / plus screwdriver at appropriate angle / and seeing what your doing / all very awkward).

Maybe if the viaduct sides and immediate ground level were both a detachable section (ie. an 'L' shape) it would leave more room for maneuvre.

Or perhaps wire-in-tube may be an easier / better approach (I can't speak from experience on that - it's just a thought).

• RMweb Gold

I can see that motorising points on a viaduct (especially in N), could be a bit difficult. One aid would be having all the arches enclosed and filled with business premises. So the "viaduct" is in reality just an inverted U: but there still won't be masses of space to get your hands in there.

Alternatively, the viaduct could just be in low relief if you don't need buildings standing proud of the backscene.

But I think it definitely worth doing. CJF's later versions of Minories, on a viaduct, look much better to me and certainly easier to view in an exhibition context.

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. In hindsight, I should have had this idea long before buying the point motors (would have saved me a few bob!) 

Having the viaduct as a low relief sounds like a good idea! I could make it so that it's effectively cladding the supports for the high level, with a small section (if possible) open to serve for a road section.

As for the viaduct, I was planning on having some low relief buildings in the back as well as a backscene to help with the illusion.

Dan

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. In hindsight, I should have had this idea long before buying the point motors (would have saved me a few bob!) 

Having the viaduct as a low relief sounds like a good idea! I could make it so that it's effectively cladding the supports for the high level, with a small section (if possible) open to serve for a road section.

As for the viaduct, I was planning on having some low relief buildings in the back as well as a backscene to help with the illusion.

Dan

Dan,

I think you are right that having low-relief buildings at the back gives depth and perspective to the whole scene.

After that, a lot depends on the height at which you are going to have your track. If fairly, high, there is no need to return down to ground level behind the viaduct (apart from where the road passes under). The low-relief buildings will only be seen from second floor upwards.

So, I've been thinking about the layout recently. I want to have OHLE on the layout, and I am considering bringing it further into the 21st Century. I thought, recently, if might be a good idea to have the track level raised up, onto a viaducty sort of structure, rather than having the scenic part of the layout raised above the layout, hopefully bringing a Midlandsy or Londony feel. Anyone with any thoughts/ideas/how to make it? Ta!

The Scalefour society built their P4 version of Minories (Moor Street) on a viaduct and it looks pretty good.

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2010/moorst.html

Dan,

I think you are right that having low-relief buildings at the back gives depth and perspective to the whole scene.

After that, a lot depends on the height at which you are going to have your track. If fairly, high, there is no need to return down to ground level behind the viaduct (apart from where the road passes under). The low-relief buildings will only be seen from second floor upwards.

I was thinking of having it at the same height of the Scalescenes Viaducts, unless there is a cheapish other option? I was planning on putting a few skyscrapers or something behind it (maybe some old flats?) all ideas!

The Scalefour society built their P4 version of Minories (Moor Street) on a viaduct and it looks pretty good.

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2010/moorst.html

I do like the look of that! There'll be less in terms of infrastructure on the back of the layout (and obviously not as long!) but it's an atmosphere I'd much like to replicate.

Archived