• 3 weeks later...

I believe that these wagons were an LNER -design body on an LMS-designed chassis. Parkside PA 16 is the underframe for this- you get solebar/axleguard mouldins for both an LMS-designed chassis with J-hangers, and one without, which would fit under a Red Panda body, if you used the 4 shoe option.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

Is the Red Panda chassis PA01 suitable for the Bachmann body?

I used Parkside LMS solebars for mine. IIRC the BR Lowfit came in three incarnations, none of which match the Mainline/Bachmann models. 

The first was effectively the LNER body modelled by Bachmann on an LMS clasp chassis. The later ones had steel bodies on LNER-style clasp brakes chassis, then some steel ones had 4-shoe brakes.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

Would this be the same top as the body on the Bachmann/Mainline model?  The chassis doesn't seem to match the 2 available from the PA16 chassis kit? That has the brake level pivot in the centre of the wagon not offset.

25/06/1963 - Hessle, East Yorkshire.

It's not dissimilar, (and the bodies are near identical) but the one you've got there is the LNER version with a wooden underframe and that company's style of AVB - which is the Parkside kit. The LMS/BR version per the Bachmann/Mainine body does take the PA16 chassis. See this, for example: https://zenfolio.page.link/AnFNq

Adam 

Edited by Adam
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I meant the one in the photo with the Anglia on is a D109 as per the Parkside kit PC66?

Ive done 9 Bachmann Lowfits with new chassis today. Another reason for doing them is they came with insulated containers which I needed for some Conflats.

Tried them on the layout this evening mainly to see how much fiddle yard space ive got. Can fit another 8 on so ordered 4 more Red Panda and 4 of the Parkside PC66 kit to try. Ill order some buffers. Theyve all got Smiths screw links.

0F58678C-F33F-4D24-B471-CD92A4828DFC.jpeg.b6568e3fd976f771b9a4fec87508ad0d.jpeg

• Like 1

On 26/06/2015 at 08:50, jjnewitt said:

Hi Ron,

The key lies in the fact that the hangers are pivoted on the underframe and are not fixed. This means that the arrows that you've drawn and circled actually go the other way.

post-13847-0-63564500-1435304745_thumb.jpg

This arrangement is exactly the same as the hangers on the LMS and Derby clasp brake chassis seen previously. 

Justin

Just to go back to the pivoting hangers, when we restored a Grampus a few years ago, we had to replace the pivot bolts on a couple of these hangers, and I took some photos of them for posterity, see below.

IMG_3174cr.jpg.36acffa7b4bf263fc13ad9a3ba7c2fe4.jpg

We replaced the old bolts with new stainless steel ones, and if you look carefully at the ones in the top of the photo, they are shouldered and were specially made for us so that the hanger could pivot, and although on the Grampus the hanger movement was minimal, it did affect the even application of the brake blocks onto the wheels when the originals were seized up.

Paul J.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

BR built with LNER brake gear.  You can do this one from the Red Panda with the Parkside PA06 underframe or as Adam has pointed out the PA35 version.  Some had the side verticals as above, some as on mine.

spacer.png

I'd be interested to see how they roped them in pairs like that.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

Im still not 100% up on the variants yet but brake gear on the closest one at Liverpool docks looks different to the Red panda one? Also has instanter rather than screw link.

AD25C8C3-9CB7-460F-A07A-9D74227D2FB4.png.cd50082e5733cad5ac2ea37119e3eb10.png

Nice pic. Nearest the camera is a BR build, one of a batch with LNER-type brakegear (like the Parkside kit which represents the two vehicles next to it). Parkside/PECO do this separately as PA35. BTW, PA06 is the LNER version with the pre-Nationalisation-type axleguards.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Agree 1

Dia 1/001 wood bodied LMS 8-shoe brake           400 built

Dia 1/002 Steel body, LNER vac brake.                1000 built

Dia 1/002 Steel body RCH 4-shoe vac                  1200 built

Dia 1/002 Steel body BR 8-shoe Vac                      550 built

Edited by Fat Controller
Diagram numbers corrected following senior moment when posting originally..
  • Agree 1