Ace products 4mm kits

Simon Moore

I'm just curious if anyone has built any of the 4mm kits?

I've just noticed they have a c12 & n1 in there range & wondered if anyone could shine any light on how they go together.

At 49.99 per kit there on a par in price with Jim McGowan kits. I've built 3 of jim kits & there a joy to build.

What are these products like.

Regards

Simon

At 49.99 per kit there on a par in price with Jim McGowan kits. I've built 3 of jim kits & there a joy to build.

But that is as far as it goes

a bit like chalk and cheese, only one is edible.

Dear all,

Thanks for your comments....

Oh, dear, how depressing. 

I should have looked before at the kits, just have and generally the kit for the N1 looks OK, although I'm not sure the building instructions are very instructional. It is a McGowan model as that name appears on the etchings. However, the chassis doesn't look so good, witness the front end of the chassis where the frames have been badly sheared, pointing to bad - or, at least, indifferent - quality control. I've had the kit too long to return it.

From what you and others have said, it would appear that I ought to garner more experience at building etched kits before I embark on this one. Thus I'm contemplating a LRM N1: is that suitable in your collective opinion (I appreciate that a LRM 'Watford' tank would be more simple, but wouldn't really fit into my scheme of things)? I should add that, because I was going to build the ACE N1, I have purchased wheels and motor.

The other kit I bought at the same time was a J1 (GNR J21). This has no fault as per the N1 chassis, but I have the wheels and motor for that, too, and there's not a LRM model of that loco available. Ho hum.  

I have scratchbuilt three locos over the years - a freelance NG 0-6-0T onto a Tri-Ang TT chassis, a J3, and a J69, however, these were made so long ago, it's as if I'm starting from scratch. (I currently have a couple of scratchbuilds on the go so as to re-learn techniques; who knows but that I may complete something) Anyway, any advice would be welcome.

Cliff

post-2411-0-11772300-1435248149.jpg

Gulp...I have a couple ready to be made. I'll keep you posted

Don't get me wrong, they can be built. I know a couple of people who have finished one.

Neither of them would ever build another.

I gather the range has all been acquired from other people, so some of them (the J52) aren't at all bad. If you've scratchbuilt in the past you may well find that very handy.

Does he do the J1 in 4mm? It's only listed in 7 on the website.

Don't get me wrong, they can be built. I know a couple of people who have finished one.

Neither of them would ever build another.

I gather the range has all been acquired from other people, so some of them (the J52) aren't at all bad. If you've scratchbuilt in the past you may well find that very handy.

Does he do the J1 in 4mm? It's only listed in 7 on the website.

I've got it in 4mm, Jonathon. The proprietor, William Asgough would probably do you one in 4mm if you asked, I'm sure - he's quite obliging.

Cliff

I've got it in 4mm, Jonathon. The proprietor, William Asgough would probably do you one in 4mm if you asked, I'm sure - he's quite obliging.

I did once ask if he would do a 4mm etch set for the Maunsell "U" class (Rebuilt River), out of the original 7mm kit. He said he would bear it in mind, and the idea died a death.

...so, no, he wouldn't do one just because somebody asked.

Archived