Has Anyone Been to the Bowes Railway Lately?

edcayton

I'd love to see the rope haulage in action, but can't find much info, or a phone no. on the web site. It's a bit of a trek on the off chance.

Ed

There's a number on the Blog - which seems quite active - but it's from 2012 - 0191 4161847

Bowes Railway is still there and open to visitors

Now here is the but...

Open Tues and Thurs 10 am - 3 pm as a static site, plus the first full weekend of the month 10 am - 4pm, static with the occasion loco in use, depending on available volunteers.

Rope haulage, is no longer operational, it has not been since so 2002, when the railway ditched most of its volunteers, most of the fixed equipment (Rollers etc.) have been lifted, internal telephone system scrapped, and the signalling system allowed to fall into disrepair. Visitors are unable to reach the Hauler at Blackham's Hill as it has no road access.

They are trying to get it back up and running, but I have serious doubts that it will work again. The knowledge of how to fix all that needs doing and operate the ropes has almost disappeared from the railway, and is in effect down to one of the original volunteers who returned to the railway, me!

Now to be quite honest, although I live less than a mile from the place, I have not been for over three months, other things/people are more important to me, and to put it bluntly, I do not feel as if I am part of the railway.

As it was in happier times.....and I wonder who the guy is with the baseball cap and the checked shirt in this photo?

post-26504-0-63327300-1435304999.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived