Cardiff Show - 2015 - Cancelled

John_Miles

I have just heard from the organising committee that the 2015 Cardiff Model Railway Show has been cancelled. The reason is that Rugby World Cup matches are due to be held in Cardiff on that weekend and every hotel in the area is booked. The nearest hotels with vacancies are Aust (near Bristol) and Swansea and the cheapest prices quoted are £110 per room per night. At this kind of cost, the show would make a substantial loss and also there would be no where suitable for traders to stay. Additionally, major events in Cardiff cause traffic chaos in the city centre and on the M4 and the crowd control at Cardiff Central station would make it difficult  for visitors coming by train, with no chance of the vintage bus service being provided. The committee did look at the option of alternative weekends but the venue is only available for weekends when there are other World Cup matches.

The organisers looked at moving it up to two weeks either way but the problem is layout owners and traders have other commitments and the availability of the venue is patchy. Also there is a problem of clashing with other shows if you move it and then this just hits everybodies' revenue. I agree, it is a shame it has been cancelled but a few years ago the show lost £3000 and if this happened again, it would be the end of the Cardiff show.

Every cloud has a silver lining. In this case almost all the layouts and traders have said they are free for next year, so the exhibition will now be held one year late. Better late than never, especially as there are some brilliant layouts booked. Cardiff is only a medium sized show but the quality over the last 7 or 8 years has been outstanding.

I cant never understand the simulated excitement of 30 windbags chasing another bag of wind around an overgrown lawn. Surely railway modelling is a much more interesting and rewarding hobby ?

Whilst the Millenium Stadium holds 74,500 people, for most capacity matches you can add at least another 20,000 ticketless 'hangers on' who travel to Cardiff just for the 'craich'.

This has effects upon the accommodation, as many of us are well aware, but it also puts a tremendous strain on the transport infrastructure (trains, busses, M4, car parking etc etc)

With some city centre establishments open for breakfast , and others licensed until 6:00am the following morning, many locals steer clear of Cardiff on international days.................. because they have learned from experience that the idea ALL rugby fans are decent, sporting types is now but a myth.

Disappointed I may be, but understand the organisers reasoning.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

I agree Brian. I will be working most of the events, as will my other half.

30 windbags they may be but the money that is generated for the economy in Cardiff and the local area is considerable. Unlike a lot of model railway shows.......the windbags generate a profit...

Rob

I cant never understand the simulated excitement of 30 windbags chasing another bag of wind around an overgrown lawn. Surely railway modelling is a much more interesting and rewarding hobby ? :jester:

Dennis

As anybody knows Rugby should properly be played by teams of 13.

Archived