Three beginners questions (N gauge)

Tim H

A few questions I'm sure many people have asked and answered before:

First, is there any value in getting one of the Farish starter sets as a way of dipping a toe in the DCC waters? I recognise that the DCC control centre that comes with it is a bit limited and it's something you'll outgrow as soon as you've chipped more than a handful of locos. But the price of the set looks worth it for the value of the chipped loco and a couple of coaches alone.

Second, what's the best approach to take if you've got a very large DC locomotive fleet? Start by building a small side-project DCC-only layout with a dedicated handful of locos, and keep the main layout DC in the short term? Or jump in with both feet, chipping as many locos as you can afford, and retiring most of the older locos?

Third, is dual-wiring a layout so it can be operated either DCC or DC (though not at the same time) a complete non-starter?

Question Two, depends on how big your loco stock. I started with chipping a fair few then disposed of the older or more problematic to chip. Except for a couple of old favourites.

Question Three, quite feasible, provided not at the same time. I had  smallish US layout that was DC only with section swictches, I then ran it as DCC by the simple expedient of unplugging the DC controller, switching on all the sections and and plugging in the DCC system. I did revert briefly to DC only when my controller developed a fault. However I used only DC locos when on DC and only chipped locos when on DCC. As a matter of course I disable the DC option on chipped locos, had too many problems with that enabled.

I know of several layouts that have done that. Just be careful that the wiring is stout enough to take the DCC currents. My DCC system (NCE) is rated at 2amp and I haven't had issues and I don't envisge going to any higher amperages because I don't need to.

John

edited for typo

• RMweb Premium

A few questions I'm sure many people have asked and answered before:

First, is there any value in getting one of the Farish starter sets as a way of dipping a toe in the DCC waters? I recognise that the DCC control centre that comes with it is a bit limited and it's something you'll outgrow as soon as you've chipped more than a handful of locos. But the price of the set looks worth it for the value of the chipped loco and a couple of coaches alone.

Second, what's the best approach to take if you've got a very large DC locomotive fleet? Start by building a small side-project DCC-only layout with a dedicated handful of locos, and keep the main layout DC in the short term? Or jump in with both feet, chipping as many locos as you can afford, and retiring most of the older locos?

Third, is dual-wiring a layout so it can be operated either DCC or DC (though not at the same time) a complete non-starter?

Farish train sets are great value for money. For not a lot more than the price of a new loco you'll also get a few coaches/wagons a circle of track and the controller. The Farish/Bachmann trainset DCC controller is basic introduction to DCC as long as you're aware of it's limitations (I've seen it used with much success on a few exhibition layouts). It can only program addresses (1 to 9), and can only control locos with addresses 0-9 (0 being a DC loco). If you've a friend with loco address numbers greater than 10 you won't be able to run them. Also, it will only control function F0-F9. Not great if you've got a sound fitted loco.

If you're looking at getting into DCC then the Dapol starter sets might be more appropriate; They supply the Gaugemaster Prodigy Express which is more capable than the Farish controller but cost more as a result.

If you're serious about getting into DCC then having a play with some of the other systems will help you make your mind up what type of controller you want. The Digitrax Zephyr and NCE Powercab are both very good beginner systems that can be used with a larger system in the future.

Converting a DC fleet can be done over time. I'm guessing that you've got a few locos that are favourites and are run more often than others; Fit decoders to these first and either build a small side-project or unplug your DC controller and run DCC on your existing layout but with fewer locos. You might also want to go through your locos and work out which you don't use or don't run well and may want to sell these to fund the decoders for the ones you do use. This is the approach I've taken and I've ended up with fewer locos but what I have left are generally the newer, better, models.

Happy modelling.

Steven B

• RMweb Gold

One thing to watch is that if you do half the layout DC and the other DCC, then dont let anyhting electrically bridge the two together otherwise you will probably end up with a cooked DCC controller.

Also the older Bachamnn 6 pint decoders (withouth the 'A' suffix) dont work on DC if you are considering 2nd hand chipped locos or 2nd hand decoders at any point.

Thanks for the advice.  The loco fleet accumulated over close to 30 years amounts to well over 100, including a lot of older Farish models. Way too many to convert in one go.

Significantly i can divide them up into different eras - the transition era and blue diesel era fleets are almost entirely recent Farish and Dapol models, while most of the sector and early privatisation-era fleets are a mix of Poole-era Farish and CJM Saturn Chassis. Which does suggest converting an era at a time as one option.

"As a matter of course I disable the DC option on chipped locos, had too many problems with that enabled".

What problems have you had?

"As a matter of course I disable the DC option on chipped locos, had too many problems with that enabled".

What problems have you had?

Essentially it's erratic running when on DCC, unexpected stops, sometimes a sudden speed up, doesn't always respond to a command from the controller.

It happened three or years back when I was half converted to DCC, couldn't pin it down to any particular type of chip, so disabled DC on all of them and continue to do so. I don't need DC running now so it's fine for me. I use an NCE system and when setting up a loco, the controller gives the option to enable DC or not, I simply select the no option.

Hope that helps.

John

Archived