RMweb

A3 Book Law

shunny

• 3 weeks later...

Started to "rebuild" my cheap ebay sourced Book Law .

Front was the usual ski ramp shape. It required brute force to rectify. During which the bottom of the Smokebox broke free of the footplate. Nothing a drop of glue wont cure. Now drying with a perfectly straight footplate. I removed the valve covers on the footplate, either side of the smokebox before the "adjustments" were made. 

Tender was very light due to the weight being reduced to create a  space needed for the dcc wiring and plug. I have added some lead to the same space and now much better. No idea why Hornby designed the weight with so much room for a couple of wires. Lettering has also been removed so that it can be redone inline with cab numbers. Missing lining will also be added to front of the Tender as well.

If anybody needs photos before I go any further let me know and I will post some here.

• Like 3

Started to "rebuild" my cheap ebay sourced Book Law .

Front was the usual ski ramp shape. It required brute force to rectify. During which the bottom of the Smokebox broke free of the footplate. Nothing a drop of glue wont cure. Now drying with a perfectly straight footplate. I removed the valve covers on the footplate, either side of the smokebox before the "adjustments" were made.

Tender was very light due to the weight being reduced to create a space needed for the dcc wiring and plug. I have added some lead to the same space and now much better. No idea why Hornby designed the weight with so much room for a couple of wires. Lettering has also been removed so that it can be redone inline with cab numbers. Missing lining will also be added to front of the Tender as well.

If anybody needs photos before I go any further let me know and I will post some here.

I would be interested in photos, as I have a Book Law that needs remedial work too. As I haven't taken any A1/A3 apart before all helpful references would be gratefully received.

On hold at the moment plastic is so thin and weak (no wonder it broke) that its needs some a means of support out of site to  hold the footplate flat.

Still trying to figure out what is causing the "ski lift " as nothing obvious.

I thought it might be the chassis pushing the front up and have swopped bodies around with no difference.  I am beginning to think Hornby have a warped mould (polite description) !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On hold at the moment plastic is so thin and weak (no wonder it broke) that its needs some a means of support out of site to  hold the footplate flat.

Still trying to figure out what is causing the "ski lift " as nothing obvious.

I thought it might be the chassis pushing the front up and have swopped bodies around with no difference.  I am beginning to think Hornby have a warped mould (polite description) !!

Either a warped mould or the worker in the factory has been removing the footplate before the plastic has cooled sufficiently 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This has turned into more like a Dogs dinner.

On looking closely at the Body, the Boiler and Footplate are new and or a very rehashed tooling effort.

If you look at the following photos.

The Body even with footplate now  reasonably level (not glued down yet) it is about 1mm higher than the NRM based A3 to its right. The actual body is lifting at the front end by the same amount.

post-7186-0-98410900-1476287879.jpg

post-7186-0-87256800-1476287894.jpg

The photos of the underneath shows cut outs/clearance areas are different sizes in the footplate Book Law are all on the right including the missing frame that I also managed to break off! . This maybe a reason for the cylinders pushing the footplate upwards. I haven't checked further yet.  Also the Boiler top mounting points are a different shape , this probably explains the poor line up of the Boiler Top. The bottom of the front buffer beam is deeper by 1mm than the backing moulding . Its flush on the NRM body.

post-7186-0-27520100-1476287955.jpg

post-7186-0-16401100-1476287986.jpg

I have attempted to straighten the footplate under the Firebox. After filing the bottom of the Firebox a slight improvement. The Footplate simply has the wrong curve/wrong size  being to big. The wavy lining on the offside doesn't help the look either. None of the rear and centre slashers were glued down. This has now been glued and curing at the moment.

post-7186-0-40256700-1476288031.jpg

post-7186-0-89550900-1476288044.jpg

Lastly the firebox photos show where the slot broke through and a white piece of plastic has been added which pushed the footplate downwards . This will be done with Black plastic when glued down. The NRM Smokebox has no slot in the same position perhaps one of the causes of the footplates banana impersonation.

post-7186-0-70607700-1476288113.jpg

post-7186-0-92385900-1476288139.jpg

post-7186-0-49612100-1476288165.jpg

The Bucket seats will replaced with the Piano stool types in due course.

I may repaint and reline the Boiler to get rid of the awful join line on top of the Boiler. I will see what it looks like after everything else has been repaired first.

• RMweb Gold

This has turned into more like a Dogs dinner.

On looking closely at the Body, the Boiler and Footplate are new and or a very rehashed tooling effort.

If you look at the following photos.

The Body even with footplate now  reasonably level (not glued down yet) it is about 1mm higher than the NRM based A3 to its right. The actual body is lifting at the front end by the same amount.

attachicon.gifIMG_1100.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1101.JPG

The photos of the underneath shows cut outs/clearance areas are different sizes in the footplate Book Law are all on the right including the missing frame that I also managed to break off! . This maybe a reason for the cylinders pushing the footplate upwards. I haven't checked further yet.  Also the Boiler top mounting points are a different shape , this probably explains the poor line up of the Boiler Top. The bottom of the front buffer beam is deeper by 1mm than the backing moulding . Its flush on the NRM body.

attachicon.gifIMG_1106.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1107.JPG

I have attempted to straighten the footplate under the Firebox. After filing the bottom of the Firebox a slight improvement. The Footplate simply has the wrong curve/wrong size  being to big. The wavy lining on the offside doesn't help the look either. None of the rear and centre slashers were glued down. This has now been glued and curing at the moment.

attachicon.gifIMG_1111.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1112.JPG

Lastly the firebox photos show where the slot broke through and a white piece of plastic has been added which pushed the footplate downwards . This will be done with Black plastic when glued down. The NRM Smokebox has no slot in the same position perhaps one of the causes of the footplates banana impersonation.

attachicon.gifIMG_1110.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1105.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1103.JPG

The Bucket seats will replaced with the Piano stool types in due course.

I may repaint and reline the Boiler to get rid of the awful join line on top of the Boiler. I will see what it looks like after everything else has been repaired first.

Adds further credence to an earlier post of mine (on this thread), that the running plate moulding was retooled at the factory on the quiet - not to the cads, using the worn/damaged tooling as a guide.

• Like 2

Further work done.

Number 5 removed as to High on the cab, Cab loose at the moment, as the Footplate under the Firebox was all over the place. I managed to file some plastic of the bottom of the Firebox so a bit better now glued on. 

At the point I thought quite good, then comparing with other A3's the Smokebox is about 2mm higher than all the other A3's. The Cab roofs are inline on all three ion the photos. I also need to try and straighten the Boiler Handrail too.

I cannot see anyway to cure the Chimney/Smokebox height without destroying the body so thats as far as I will go with Book Law body.

The Tender will have the Letters place in line with the numbers and i will line the front of the Tender top which Hornby left Green.

Glad this was a cheap ebay buy !!

post-7186-0-99045900-1476453183.jpg

post-7186-0-73401700-1476453199.jpg

post-7186-0-46024000-1476453218.jpg

post-7186-0-81218300-1476453237.jpg

post-7186-0-53762600-1476453255.jpg

Edited by micklner

Can I deduce, then, Mick, that the cab numbers are at the right height (other than that '5') and the tender lettering is out, not the other way round?

Numbers (that I haven't removed) are the same height as NRM etc A3's 10mm from base of numbers to top of footplate, so I see no reason think they are wrong. But what is right on this Loco would/mightnow  be a better alternative answer !!. If you placed the numbers the same as the lettering tender height they would be inline with the handrail or behind  it.

I have now gone to plan B and reduced the wedge under the smoke box it looks like, as well as forcing the footplate flat it was lifting the smokebox up. Plan B now drying again !!

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

Numbers (that I haven't removed) are the same height as NRM etc A3's 10mm from base of numbers to top of footplate, so I see no reason think they are wrong. But what is right on this Loco would/mightnow  be a better alternative answer !!. If you placed the numbers the same as the lettering tender height they would be inline with the handrail or behind  it.

I have now gone to plan B and reduced the wedge under the smoke box it looks like, as well as forcing the footplate flat it was lifting the smokebox up. Plan B now drying again !!

I take it Plan 'C' involves a hammer or explosives  :jester:  :jester:

• 1 month later...

Hornby Book Law which turned into a virtual rebuild.

Loco
Front end straightened, Bufferbeam repainted , Boiler repainted due to awful top seam new lining added to Boiler and Splashers, Firebox shaved at bottom so Footplate was something like straight and the Cab refitted, adding new numbers that are now inline, Etched Wind defectors, Cab now has Piano stools instead of wrong Bucket seats, Crew added. Reversing Rod polished up , new Ashpan Lever fitted to correct side. New etched Name and Works Plated fitted

Tender

Top edge of front Lined out and painted Black instead of the original Green unpainted Hornby effort, LNER letters dropped inline with Cab numbers,Coal added to Tender.

post-7186-0-62346400-1480345011.jpg

post-7186-0-66148600-1480345025.jpg

post-7186-0-48596200-1480345041.jpg

post-7186-0-50160100-1480345055.jpg

post-7186-0-30470500-1480345077.jpg

post-7186-0-01290100-1480345097.jpg

post-7186-0-55617900-1480345123.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Book Law which turned into a virtual rebuild.

Loco
Front end straightened, Bufferbeam repainted , Boiler repainted due to awful top seam new lining added to Boiler and Splashers, Firebox shaved at bottom so Footplate was something like straight and the Cab refitted, adding new numbers that are now inline, Etched Wind defectors, Cab now has Piano stools instead of wrong Bucket seats, Crew added. Reversing Rod polished up , new Ashpan Lever fitted to correct side. New etched Name and Works Plated fitted

Tender

Top edge of front Lined out and painted Black instead of the original Green unpainted Hornby effort, LNER letters dropped inline with Cab numbers,Coal added to Tender.

Relieved to see, it didn't exit stage right (or left) out of a window  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

How does it pull, Mick? I took mine along to Warley (it's now 4480) along with a 2752 reworked from an NRM Flying Scotsman. 2752 walked away with an 11 car Flying Scotsman set, while 4480 struggled and though it did move it it was clearly at the very top of it's capability.

How does it pull, Mick? I took mine along to Warley (it's now 4480) along with a 2752 reworked from an NRM Flying Scotsman. 2752 walked away with an 11 car Flying Scotsman set, while 4480 struggled and though it did move it it was clearly at the very top of it's capability.

Hasn't been on track as of yet . Report back in due course.

Strange as the chassis is the only thing which appears to be the same as the original much much better NRM version . Cheaper motor perhaps? 

That had crossed my mind. Might not have been run in properly either.

They can be variable - among the other locos we borrow, 4472 will pull anything we put behind it, while 2750 is a bit disappointing. 4498 is an outstanding puller while 4903 can only be used on very light work.

I expect shedmasters had similar things to keep in mind back in the day (and possibly to the present).

• Like 1

• 9 months later...