Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

JLTRT 57XX

I've got all the plates on now and just have to at the route code disc and power class. Should gave done all this before weathering but got carried away.
post-13414-0-33541400-1456429670_thumb.jpg
post-13414-0-44744300-1456429706_thumb.jpg

And just to show I haven't completely lost my marbles with this dabble into GWR, here's an LM 4F that's nearing completion.
post-13414-0-31785100-1456429908_thumb.jpg
My brother inherited it some years ago from a friend. He was new to kit building and it was his first attempt. It ran like a dog, was poorly constructed and painted, so I completely dismantled and rebuilt it. There were so many dry joints that in many cases I didn't need the iron to separate them. It was built with some make of sprung Hornblotton and I ended soldering the outer ones and just leaving the middle sprung. Thank god for the Avonside chassis jig to get it all lined up. It was still a pig to do it but it now runs really well. It's from a JM kit.

Here's how it will look when finished. This one is from a Connoisseur kit and was a joy to build as was the Jinty from the same manufacturer.
post-13414-0-58846700-1456431679_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-58846700-1456431679_thumb.jpg

Cheers,
Peter

post-13414-0-63431500-1456431652_thumb.jpg

Edited by PAD
  • Like 10

• 2 months later...

Just a post script on the 57XX. Having completed the build on the large prairie, I finally got round to applying the power class and route availability disc to finish off the pannier tank.

Cheers,

Peter

post-13414-0-98533500-1464109204_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 year later...

I have this kit.

Refering to the image of the brass body etch on the far left of the imafe it showz 3 smaller etches.

2 look the same anx consist of 4 small parts each and one shows a single largef sheet.

Were these attached to the main etch

Ican find them in the parts list

I have this kit.

Refering to the image of the brass body etch on the far left of the imafe it showz 3 smaller etches.

2 look the same anx consist of 4 small parts each and one shows a single largef sheet.

Were these attached to the main etch

Ican find them in the parts list

Rear bunker etch x 2 , (there is already one on the main sheet, in case you cock it up) and two etches of foot steps (not needed on the 57xx with the low roof cab in GWR days but needed for the BR period) I think. If I have got my facts right, but if not, a GWR expert will soon sort us out?

Sandy

Hi Topshed ,

I more or less agree with Sandy.

The extra etches for the bunker rear are to my recollection the correct width. Why there are two I've no idea. The one on the main etch is too narrow so it looks like JLTRT spotted this after introduction of the kit and added the extra fret to correct it.

post-13414-0-99443200-1497090615_thumb.jpg

The step etches are for the slots in the front of the boiler/tank casting.

post-13414-0-08699400-1497092374.jpg

As Sandy mentioned they may or may not be required depending on the prototype and priod you are modelling it, as they changed to a different style on some examples over the life of the class. Mine has them and they are correct for the BR period in which I have modelled it.

An excellent reference for this class is Pannier Papers of which I think there are 3 volumes. In my build I have highlighted a number of errors in the kit based on information from these and photos (including the cab interior) taken at Didcot of the preserved 8750 example.

Cheers,

Peter