Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

JLTRT 57XX

• RMweb Premium

Enjoying watching this build and, despite luddite reservations concerning a kit with a big lump of resin, I'm very impressed with the outcome. Having argued endlessly with a kit that has you form the pannier etc from brass, I can see the benefits of the resin casting.

One question for those that know about GWR tanks, would one of the variants of the jltrt kit suit pannier 4666? From what I can tell the cab is different from the model being built here.

Thanks for any help.

Enjoying watching this build and, despite luddite reservations concerning a kit with a big lump of resin, I'm very impressed with the outcome. Having argued endlessly with a kit that has you form the pannier etc from brass, I can see the benefits of the resin casting.

One question for those that know about GWR tanks, would one of the variants of the jltrt kit suit pannier 4666? From what I can tell the cab is different from the model being built here.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Chris,

Your 4666 is a loco from the 8750 class and JLTRT do offer a kit for this class along with the 57xx in both forms.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

Your 4666 is a loco from the 8750 class and JLTRT do offer a kit for this class along with the 57xx in both forms.

Martyn.

Thank you Martyn, having watched this build go together I must say I'm tempted.

I've been quietly following and enjoying this thread, the kit is going together really well.

However... :) I'm now going to be one of those annoying people who points something out. The top feed looks like it's in the wrong place and should sit further forwards, not inline with the centre of the filler caps. It didn't look quite right to me when I was pondering the pipework routing so had a look for a prototype pic to confirm and found this. http://s144.photobucket.com/user/myfordmatt/media/Buckfast080707/Buckfast08070769.jpg.html

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

I agree it's too far back. Many thanks for picking up on that as I would have been really annoyed if the paint was on. I now know why the pipes appeared to be too long and would not fit.

Hopefully I can get it off without damaging and refit in the correct place.

Had a look at the pictures Dave posted. Very usefull, but as allways you need to be carefull when using pictures of preserved engines as reference. The shot of the tank tops shows the pipe work modified from how it was in service.

This is how it should look, apart from the wrongly positioned top feed. I've removed the pipes and top feed and hopefully I can salvage the white metal flange when I replace. GW engines are not my forte so if any of you western efficionardos spot any other errors please let me know. The wire I used looks a little thick I think, so I'll use a thinner grade when I replace.

post-13414-0-46593300-1446307134_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The top feed is off and no damage. Panic over.Thanks again to 57xx for pointing out the error, and to Dave for the prototype photos.

Cheers, Peter

No problem. It feels horrible having to point it out, but worth it when it helps someone out, especially like you say before it's painted.

Had a look at the pictures Dave posted. Very useful, but as always you need to be careful when using pictures of preserved engines as reference. The shot of the tank tops shows the pipe work modified from how it was in service.

Agree completely. I was intending that Warren's photos would indicate the relative positions of topfeed and tank filler. The pipework layout is, as you rightly point out, very different to its original appearance. The photos linked to by 57xx in post #49 show a more prototypical arrangement (even though it's a preserved loco)!

Agree completely. I was intending that Warren's photos would indicate the relative positions of topfeed and tank filler. The pipework layout is, as you rightly point out, very different to its original appearance. The photos linked to by 57xx in post #49 show a more prototypical arrangement (even though it's a preserved loco)!

Fully understand and appreciate you posting the photos. Mind you, not much good if some numpty (like me), doesn't check before fixing top feeds in place. Got enough pictures to have not made the error, but still messed up. Thanks again.

I'm in Scotland next week so might give Jltrt a ring, and if they have the pipe castings in stock, make a detour know the way back and pick up a new set.

Cheers, Peter.

I have  now re fixed the top feed further forward but  don't have  any  suitable  rod to make  the  pipes. Decided not  to get another pair of  cast ones from JLTRT as the shape  is  wrong, and being white metal I think they would  just fracture  if  I tried to modify.  I need to get  some  suitable  rod  when I am back home, as I could  not  find  a  decent model shop in Glasgow  where  I am working this  week.  Instead I added some  of  the  remaining etched parts to the smoke box and  cab roof.  The  smoke box dart looked a bit emaciated to me and  the  base ring was too small, so I made  a replacement from scratch. I also turned the  tank filler stops from fitting front to back, to side to side.  I have  noted that these varied from loco to loco in how  they were fitted. Finally I added the  cab roof ventilator, lance cock, front steps and the valve cover below  the  smoke box door.

Cheers,

Peter

post-13414-0-32374200-1446767679_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-67811200-1446767683_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-69245500-1446767692_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-97444100-1446767700_thumb.jpg 

• Like 12

I use copper from household wire etc for my pipework.

Yes, I do the same when I can but have depleted my stock and don't have any of a suitable gauge. Hobby craft have a range of wires for jewellery making, some of it actual copper so I'll see if they have anything. The other option is annealed brass rod but I'm sure I'll find something. suitable.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I do the same when I can but have depleted my stock and don't have any of a suitable gauge. Hobby craft have a range of wires for jewellery making, some of it actual copper so I'll see if they have anything. The other option is annealed brass rod but I'm sure I'll find something. suitable.

How long would each bit need to be? I have stacks of 1.5mm and 2.5mm T&E in the workshop from an old house rewire, I could get some 10" long pieces into an C5 envelope.

How long would each bit need to be? I have stacks of 1.5mm and 2.5mm T&E in the workshop from an old house rewire, I could get some 10" long pieces into an C5 envelope.

Thanks for the kind offer but 1.5 mm is too large, and I have now found some suitable wire. Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Got some 1.2mm silver plated copper wire from Hobbycraft. It's more likely to be tin plated but no matter. I annealed a length with a butane burner and the plating just melts away. The wire then looks dark grey but a rub with some emery paper should clean it up. Also picked up a little gizmo for straightening coiled wire which worked a treat in the quick try I made. Will post some pics later.

• Like 1

Here's the  wire from Hobbycraft.

During annealing the tin plating burns off and  any  that remains can be rubbed off with emery paper. In the end  as the pipes will be painted I didn't bother  shining them up the  wire before  fitting. I managed to salvaged the  W/M cast flanges from the  original attempt  at the  pipes.

post-13414-0-18149100-1447277333_thumb.jpg

Next up the  buffers. Here's the  problem I mentioned earlier.

post-13414-0-90820900-1447277295_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, with the nut screwed fully home, the  shank is  way too far out. Also even after increasing the  thread length with a  10 BA die, it  is  still not possible for  the  buffers to go in any  further as there  is  insufficient clearance for  the  shank and  the spring when compressed. First I had to drill out  the  stocks with a 4 mm bit  as far as I dare without going through the  back. However, even then the  collar that slips  over the  shank with the  head is  still too long. I then had to grind off about  1 mm from each collar before the  buffers would  work satisfactorily.  Here's then end result.

post-13414-0-43622300-1447277361_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-49399100-1447277363_thumb.jpg

There is  now  enough compression but  the thread is still a little  short. However, after painting I will fit washers before the  nut, to move  the  heads back. Why on earth do they make  the  shanks like this and  why is  the  thread so short!

In any case it  was  now onto the  buffer beam which I did with epoxy, as it  allows time  for  adjustment  to ensure they are parallel/square. It's also easier to remove excess epoxy than excess solder.

post-13414-0-00502200-1447277366_thumb.jpg

Also realized that I have not fitted the  remaining grab rails on the  side of  the cab rear on the  left and  the  cab roof. I got  the  one on the side  fitted but  then ran out  of  time.

post-13414-0-42480400-1447277372_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 5

It is looking very good for a GW loco. Do you have a livery for it as yet?

It will be in BR black but have not decided which number yet. A number options I considered have the spare lamp brackets on the running plate near the cab but mine are by the front splasher. I will either have to move them or compromise.