The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Not living in the British Isles, pictures of your own area.

N15class

12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Colorado?

Yes - those valley formations are typical of the Colorado Rockies. It's at Aspen (Buttermilk ski area - lots of easy skiing). Not sure what that peak is but I should be able to figure it out.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2022 at 20:14, AndyID said:

It's at Aspen (Buttermilk ski area - lots of easy skiing).

I don't ski, but I've stayed in Beaver Creek (a colleague had partial ownership in a home there and we had dinner in Vail) and been to Breckenridge. The altitude at the top of the resort at Breckenridge - 12,998' (and even in town - 9,600') was very difficult for me though I must admit that I was particularly unfit at the time.

Breckenridge panorama: (April, 2006)

image.png.7c60d1b99cbd9476938e4a543f824cc8.png

Image replaced October 29, 2022. (I think this was the same as the 'lost' image.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't ski, but I've stayed in Beaver Creek (a colleague had partial ownership in a home there and we had dinner in Vail) and been to Breckenridge. The altitude at the top of the resort at Breckenridge - 12,998' (and even in town - 9,600') was very difficult for me though I must admit that I was particularly unfit at the time.

Breckenridge panorama: (April, 2006)

image.png.25e840cfcaca1b608da71f791e6c8eb5.png

I seem to be able to handle the altitude reasonably well but I did happen to notice my powdered Coffee Mate creamer didn't dissolve properly in my coffee, probably because the coffee was at a lower temperature :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I seem to be able to handle the altitude reasonably well

Living at 2,180' is a good head start.

I am not as unfit now, but I still notice the altitude while out walking strenuously when visiting my friends in central Oregon (3,077').  While doing 'normal' activities it isn't noticeable. I live at 300'.

So long as I was hydrating well, doing normal activities at the base of the front range in Colorado (Boulder area - 5,000') wasn't an issue.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Living at 2,180' is a good head start.

I am not as unfit now, but I still notice the altitude while out walking strenuously when visiting my friends in central Oregon (3,077').  While doing 'normal' activities it isn't noticeable. I live at 300'.

So long as I was hydrating well, doing normal activities at the base of the front range in Colorado (Boulder area - 5,000') wasn't an issue.

When we lived in Capistrano we drove to Mammoth and fell out of the car :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

View from Burnaby Mountain down to Burrard Inlet. Indian Arm to the top, Port Moody Arm to the right, Vancouver Harbour to the left. I first saw this view in 1968. We moved here in 1982.

99B1138D-DD97-4330-977D-1C5496A5B0C3.jpeg.000d32b346a2ab8e8d3eb9ae740878ae.jpeg

Edited by pH
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Chez moi, taken some time last year. It was a Thursday, because as well as my red car, my cleaner Alison's car is also here. Taken from a plane, not a drone, and EXIF data tells me it was a Nikon D750. Chap offered me the file a few weeks ago, has just delivered it. 

A21_3826.jpeg.ad738be07b8814efa209442ef2ad8125.jpeg

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Chez moi, taken some time last year. It was a Thursday, because as well as my red car, my cleaner Alison's car is also here. Taken from a plane, not a drone, and EXIF data tells me it was a Nikon D750. Chap offered me the file a few weeks ago, has just delivered it. 

A21_3826.jpeg.ad738be07b8814efa209442ef2ad8125.jpeg

Mate, whats that in the ploughed paddock - just above your house in the photo , with the bushes around it?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I went out this morning and caught Perth at sunrise, this is from a suburb called Applecross. There's a jetty just out of shot to the left, its lighting is casting the orangey glow on the old wood stanchions in the foreground.

Perth.jpg.f3b99fac3fb02a5bfea3594a08ca5f28.jpg

Then I drove down to Fremantle, got a coffee and watched this ship come in. Quite big for our port at about 330m. It took five tugs to turn and berth it on the quayside.

1713205516_APLBoston.jpg.b71e0df973e20bc35ae67d0632b8189d.jpg

Our borders opened last week. Please come and visit.

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, not much has happened here since the 'big crash'!!

Anyway, I was out with the camera this morning and took this image.

331085085_CrawleyBoatshed.jpg.86c73155274e6f6e463aa18325871c0b.jpg

I know I've shown this location before (its an icon in Perth) but I got up purposely to take it, as this morning is one of the few weekend mornings of the year when the water was higher at dawn than it often is and there's less shadow under the boathouse.

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

A couple of pictures from a viewpoint on the road up Anarchist Hill in the Okanagan valley this morning. The long light-coloured building on the far shore, on the left edge of the first picture and the right edge of the second picture, contains the customs and immigration posts on the Canada/USA border. 

The town to the right in the first picture is Osoyoos in British Columbia.

FE56E0A7-E220-49AF-B7A9-41D73E7863D0.jpeg.635237971655192cf486a84135bbf425.jpeg

In the second picture, all of the far shore and most of the near shore is in the US. The viewpoint is only a few hundred metres from the border line, but the road turns away from the border and back into Canada just after the viewpoint.

12AE4EDF-A1F1-482D-9250-FC4177726A3B.jpeg.ef1628868bdfb83bfdd412ce102f7204.jpeg

Edited by pH
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, pH said:

A couple of pictures from a viewpoint on the road up Anarchist Hill in the Okanagan valley this morning.

Much nicer weather than that west of the Cascades today.

Say hello to Ogopogo for us if you're up that way later. The Kelowna WHL team is actually in Portland right now.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Much nicer weather than that west of the Cascades today.

Say hello to Ogopogo for us if you're up that way later. The Kelowna WHL team is actually in Portland right now.

We travelled yesterday and today, and that generally good weather travelled east with us.

We haven’t stayed in the Okanagan - we’re now at our son’s place in Nelson in the West Kootenay. Looking to the west just now, it looks like the rain may be about to catch up with us.

The forests were spectacular in the sunshine on the way, with some trees turning yellow amongst the green conifers - aspens at the lower levels, larches higher up. 

Edit. Here’s a picture from the deck just now. Not great lighting conditions - imagine it in bright sunshine.

32EA4D95-90CB-4832-A52E-031E2D9A6C8D.jpeg.24b2796d29cf0eee48a3395a3df106f2.jpeg

Edited by pH
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking out of our house in the Preserve on Sharp Mountain, across Jasper, Georgia, (down in the valley) to the southern end of the Appalachian Mountains.

857F70FC-73EA-4773-BA36-DDEF6C50BF43.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I am currently living in the jungle, though it appears to be an urban city-state jungle..... Most people think of Marine Bay and areas like Orchard, the Botanic Gardens and Changi if they ever think of Singapore but as with any city there is a whole different city where people live, go to school, work, shop etc which most visitors never see (or if they do it is from a bus or taxi window). 

Here are pictures around Boon Lay and Gek Poh where we lived before moving to Nanyang. Not very photogenic but it's a very vibrant area.

Boon Lay 8.JPG

Boon Lay 14.JPG

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...